Komet Clone Finished!!! Pics!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

keithrick

Re: Komet Clone Finished!!! Pics!

Post by keithrick »

Nice build Allyn. I can't wait to hear clips myself!
playloudd308

Post by playloudd308 »

congradulations!!! looks like everyone wants clips

me too
~Rocky
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

NICE! You better bring that with you this weekend! The junior has been delivered to my office. I'll pick it up tonight on the way home!
mac0611

Post by mac0611 »

awesome work Allyn!! Can't wait to hear it! Thanks for all your help too!
MKflo84

Post by MKflo84 »

I can't believe it is a clone...
Awesome job !
We want CLIPS !
russoloco

Post by russoloco »

I just want to know the comparison between that and the wreck. Nice job!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Well, she fired up flawlessly! :D woohoo!!!!! A little late to crank her but, I played at low levels and it sounds beautiful. Jazzy clean chords seem to bloom even at low volumes! The dial bias and bias points really makes it easy to dial her in. 8) I will be doing some experimenting with tubes this week and am waiting for my Mullard GZ34 to come in. No hum or buzz so far a low levels :D Clips will come soon.
Noel Grassy

Klone looks so-o-o nice!

Post by Noel Grassy »

What a great job you did. I think you have something there. :wink: I'm afraid your workmanship and atten to details has silenced our amigo. Could Chimeboss be chapped?Thanks for the pictures and all the good help you given to this site. Don't stop now[not just 'cause I'm greedy] The Xfmr sure looks like the dealy-oh! 8) What rectifier have you got in there now?
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Had a chance to turn it up some... 8)

Very quiet amp! Until you hit a power chord! :lol:

I only turned it up to "3-4" due to the fact that I was plugged into a 2x12 with 25 watt Green backs that I was worried about. It was very loud! Beautiful breakup and note bloom. Has a growing sustain like a TW. I'm liking it!!!...a lot!!!

Allyn
Robert

Post by Robert »

Absolutely beautiful work!!! Thanks for contributing another awesome amp to the DIY community. Looking forward to clips and your thoughts about the amp.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Update!!!!!!!!!!

I plugged in my Komet Clone this morning and have a review.

The amp has a beautiful clean sound. It starts to breakup at about 10 o'clock and has a beautiful distortion by 12 o'clock. Very AC/DC. That clean distortion we love. About 1 o'clock a nice lead tone starts to develop and It's hard to hear how good it is because your deaf by then! 8) The volume rolls back into clean very nicely from your guitar. It is a great amp! Most importantly!!! It has no noise or hum at all...even loud! I keep looking at the amp to make sure the recto didn't blow because of the lack of noise at that volume. I am waiting for my Mullard GZ34 to come in before I dime it though. The notes a nicely separated so you hear every note as you rake through even a minor chord. No muddiness at all. I will update this as I experiment more. :D

I recommend this build for everyone!!! This is an outstanding sounding amp!

Allyn
castor

Post by castor »

I'm new to this forum... (from Italy) I'd like to make a mk-similar-amp and your work seems so professional!!!!
about scheme... can you post or send the scheme you use to make this wonderfull amp?
About transformers: I made 2 small amps and I used Hammond transformers (logically the HI-FI output trans, not the multi purposes ones)... what do you think of them? can you suggest some other transformers for this future amp? Where do you buy all components? In italy there are only a few good shops but they have not all brands and values.
Last edited by castor on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Castor. PM me your e-mail address.

Allynmey
gkelm

Post by gkelm »

That looks super. I had one of those last year...looking forward to seeing (and maybe hearing?) more. :mrgreen:
Greg

Hey guys, BTW, I was directed here by a thread on The Gear Page. A while back had high hopes of building an 18 watt clone, but bought one assembled instead. :( Great amp! :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

I love the metalwork on the chassis! Give me that metal bending brake, a milling machine, and welder!!

I am envious of the tools that some people have access to that can make an amp project even more of a personal hands-on building experience. My German grandfather was a tool and die machinist in Cleveland, and my dad always promoted craftsmanship.

When I put an amp together, it's my form of functional art and I see you are an artist too! Great job!!!