Chassis holes plan

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plook

Chassis holes plan

Post by plook »

Does anyone have a dimensions plan for the cutouts for the Expression and Rocket? I have a fella making me a couple in a fabrication shop and he needs the sizes.
M Fowler

Re: Chassis holes plan

Post by M Fowler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plook

Post by plook »

That's great. Thanks very much.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Unlike some of our great forumites I don't really provide much so I am glad to help out in a small way. :)

One question though why not get a chassis from Allynmey or rjguitar?

Mark
plook

Post by plook »

i did think of that as they look fantastic and although a fair price, i am in England and the shipping and then tax on top of the value added to the shipping rate would make it an expensive option, especially as my fabrication guy can do it for £30, which today is about $42, so he tells me at this stage anyway.

My only dilemma is which one to go for. I absolutely love Vox tones and EL84 valves, but above all i like crunch and i wonder if the Express is my man.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

After building all three I decided to go with the Rocket with octal power section and never have looked back.

I know that doesn't help does it.

You'll never be able to just build one so get four chassis made, one Express, one Liverpool, one Rocket and the last for the Normster Rocket EL34 with Reverb. Oh maybe the single ended Trainwreck too the DLM. Make that five chassis.

Mark
plook

Post by plook »

You know what, i think that is actually a really sensible piece of advice. I might start with the Rocket and take it from there.

I have been watching Glen Kuykendall on You Tube and i have really been blown away by his tone and touch, so i just ordered his CD and hopefully will have it next week. I'm hoping he says what gear he used on each cut which might point me towards a model to go for first.

This might not be the right place to ask this, but what's the consensus of opinion on mods like master volume, VVR, triode-pentode switches on TW clones? I have been adding VVR to all my amp builds for about a year now with very pleasing results.

Also, looking at the output transformer specs, i see there are 4k and upwards primary values. is there any agreement on which is the best? I guess 4k if my ears like that crunch, which they do.

What is so hard about making the Express compared to the others and how does it compare with making something like a Dumble clone, which i did a few weeks back, but sold because i did not really care for the smooth distortion.
plook

Post by plook »

I'll be in Madison, Wisconsin in August for three weeks on vacation (sailing) and i wonder if i should buy my supplies when there.
plook

Post by plook »

Are all of Ken Fisher's TW amps accounted for/logged? Did he ever make any for export to places such as England? if so, were they tonally different with the 240v available AC?
FYL

Post by FYL »

Are all of Ken Fisher's TW amps accounted for/logged?
Nope. Only a few are fully documented, less than a hundred are listed (name + type + voicing + build date), between 120 and 150 have been built, voiced and released, either by KF (app. 100+) or built by others and voiced by KF (maybe 20 or so) - these are only educated guesstimates.
Did he ever make any for export to places such as England? if so, were they tonally different with the 240v available AC?
A few amps have crossed the pond - less than half a dozen IMO, and probably much less, but AFAICT all were US 117V models. As the PT is oversized they should work fine with 50 Hz mains and a suitable 240/117V external xformer.