TW clone handle?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plook

TW clone handle?

Post by plook »

I'm making a TW Liverpool style amp using heyboer and Edcore transformers and wondering if i should put a leather handle on it or cut some holes in the sides. Any thoughts on this? I don't see too many with handles or holes and wonder how folks manoeuvre them without damaging them.

Also, can anyone give me advice on how to add the 'burnt in' lettering on the wooden panel on the control plate. is there a template i could put over it to burn it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redshark

Re: TW clone handle?

Post by redshark »

I've heard that Ken didn't like handles on his wood boxes. They look nice without one but as you said is very hard to be moving the box.
I had been thinking about putting one on top of mine and of course I would choose the brown leather fender tweed style on top of the box. That is what to me would look better.
plook

Post by plook »

Thanks. Fortunately i have a few of those. i might just go with that.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Build or buy a tour case for it. Having a handle is only ease in carrying what about protecting that hardwood from dings?

I know after one gig with my K60 I now have a permanent divot on the side. Lesson use an anvil case and be done.

Mark
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The handle contributes to the dings, IMO. You grab hold of the handle, walk away, and that nice cab goes swinging to and fro until it makes contact with some foreign object. Anvil cases are nice, but out of my budget. Especially if I want to put every amp in one. Without the handle, I cradle the amp like a baby and lovingly carry it into the venue. I do that with all my heads and combos. Works for me.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Correction...the unbalanced cabinet goes swinging to and fro.

I didn't like a handle on the top. I either put them on the side, or just grab it through the back (I don't have a back cover on mine). I like the anvil idea best, though I don't gig so it's a moot point.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Haven't done it on mine, but if I were to put a handle on, it would be inside the box. Attach a handle-length, rectangular block inside the backside upper lip. Sized just right so the back of your palm is on the top of the cab, with your fingers wrapped around the block.
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

I got tired of carrying it like a baby. Added the handle, and so glad I did. I think these heads are silly not to have one...but that's just me. Economy of motion and energy.

[IMG:725:435]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 ... /photo.jpg[/img]
[IMG:600:620]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 ... photo2.jpg[/img]
plook

Post by plook »

Here is another consideration i have only just thought of after looking at that fine finger-jointed cabinet. Mine is mitred and biscuit jointed. Would that be strong enough to hold the weight when hoisted by a handle on top?
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

the traditional style of labeling is called pyrography. The art of drawing on wood by the act of burning. I've tried to do it, and just destroyed everything I've worked on. If you live where people are artsy it might be worth asking around and having it out sourced. Somethings community centers offer this type of art for senior citizens.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
plook

Post by plook »

Thanks for the pyrography info. I know for a fact that i too would destroy the bubinga face if i attempted it without any sort of template. I will look around and see if there is anyone who can do it. i do know a wood carver.
paulster

Post by paulster »

I like those same leather handles Rawnster posted the pics of. They're comfortable, durable, look good, and are solidly bolted to the cabinet so they give you a bit of control over it when carrying it which is good on a real wood cabinet.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those handles are nice but I stack amps so unless the next amp has tall feet there is usually a problem. I use 1 inch feet and Fender/Marshall low profile handles.

I realize most people won't have such a problem but just pointing it out.

Mark
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

+1 for the ATA case

5/8" or 3/4" flight approved runs ~ $350

1/4" as low as ~$100

If you aren't shipping it build your own out of a sheet of plywood and high density foam. ~$50

Let the amp rest in the tray with a pull off lid. If you are really hip you would include a storage compartment for cables, tubes, etc.

you can also buy the materials used to make your own lifght approved ATA and save the labor, which makes up most of the cost.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Roe

Post by Roe »

since the back is open they are quite easy to grap except for the weight. I used heavy oak. the wood weights more than the iron
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s