Rocket/rockster choke wiring, OT primary and other questions

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

analogjunkie

Rocket/rockster choke wiring, OT primary and other questions

Post by analogjunkie »

i want to say before i start that I want to use a 6.3v lamp instead of the 120v, I figure I should have around 800ma left of current for the lamp (maybe i am wrong?) as i began to wire i started to confuse myself a little:

[IMG:1600:1200]http://i53.tinypic.com/2wgspqe.jpg[/img]

i noticed in the layout that the choke is wired differently from the schematic. so now I am at a point where I am not sure how to wire my stand by switch.

I also am not sure weather to use the 5.2 or 6.6 primary taps for the OT. what is the difference?

any help is appreciated in advance!

[/img]
M Fowler

Re: Rocket/rockster choke wiring, OT primary and other questions

Post by M Fowler »

The 5k2 would give slightly more wattage and the 6k6 might just have a little more sweet tone like a JTM45 KT66 type circuit. There is plate voltage involved here when talking wattage though.

I generally run mine at 4K3 rather then 5k2 or 6k6. Some folks have reported good results with 6k6 though.

It is really your call, just leave the unused primary OT taps shrink wrapped long so you can use them later.

Not sure which layout your using for this Rockster.

Mark
analogjunkie

Post by analogjunkie »

I am using the documentation attached below.

so the lower primary gives me more plate voltage/more headroom?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That one is new to me it changed from the previous layout of rj's.

The OT primary red wire goes to the standby switch then feeds to to one side of the choke (either wire doesn't matter) the other side of the choke goes to C15 filter cap.

Mark
analogjunkie

Post by analogjunkie »

I actually just bought this from him and thats what he had sent to me, also saying it was unverified, so with that correction this layout seems like it should work quite well.

does using the filament taps for the lamp scare anyone at all? transformer says 6.3@4A i figure 2.6A from the kt66 pair and .65 from the 12ax7s??

also will the attached work as a d style loop?
[IMG:767:1023]http://i51.tinypic.com/692joj.jpg[/img]
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

For the pilot light running 6V twist the filament wires from the PT together and run that to the pilot light first then to the octal sockets next to the 9 pin sockets in series. Make sure to keep the wiring consistent from socket to socket using two different colored 18 ga wires will help here.

The PIG control works well but not sure about your question regarding d style loop?

Mark
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

Just my opinion but an amp like the Rocket doesn't need a loop. When cranked, all the distortion happens so late in the circuit that it will occur after just about any loop you use so you haven't helped anything by adding a loop. Generally, effects loops are designed so the distortion occurs before the loop, i.e. - amps with lots of preamp distortion and a relatively clean power section.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My Stangray has a simple loop that works but I never use it because I don't run outboard gear anymore.

You can add an effects loop if you like sure. The Rocket doesn't need gain pedals but if you wanted to color the sound with modulation rack or pedals sure.

When you said D type loop I was thinking OD loop.

Mark
analogjunkie

Post by analogjunkie »

Fischerman wrote:Just my opinion but an amp like the Rocket doesn't need a loop. When cranked, all the distortion happens so late in the circuit that it will occur after just about any loop you use so you haven't helped anything by adding a loop. Generally, effects loops are designed so the distortion occurs before the loop, i.e. - amps with lots of preamp distortion and a relatively clean power section.
I am sorry but I will have to disagree with you. The way I plan on using this amp I want a loop in it. i ran a few searches but it doesn't seem to be pulling anything up on MV/Loop, there has to be someone who has tried it. thanks for the input everyone!
analogjunkie

Post by analogjunkie »

M Fowler wrote:My Stangray has a simple loop that works but I never use it because I don't run outboard gear anymore.

You can add an effects loop if you like sure. The Rocket doesn't need gain pedals but if you wanted to color the sound with modulation rack or pedals sure.

When you said D type loop I was thinking OD loop.

Mark

So the modification to the pig control should work? seems to be the same as a d style loop wiring, basically putting the loop between the PI and the MV, or in this case, PIG. any thoughts?
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

analogjunkie wrote:
Fischerman wrote:Just my opinion but an amp like the Rocket doesn't need a loop. When cranked, all the distortion happens so late in the circuit that it will occur after just about any loop you use so you haven't helped anything by adding a loop. Generally, effects loops are designed so the distortion occurs before the loop, i.e. - amps with lots of preamp distortion and a relatively clean power section.
I am sorry but I will have to disagree with you. The way I plan on using this amp I want a loop in it. i ran a few searches but it doesn't seem to be pulling anything up on MV/Loop, there has to be someone who has tried it. thanks for the input everyone!
No apology necessary, we all have our preferences. Good luck with your build, the Rocket is a great foundation!
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

So the modification to the pig control should work? seems to be the same as a d style loop wiring, basically putting the loop between the PI and the MV, or in this case, PIG. any thoughts?
Yes I run my loop between the MV and the PI, so if your PIG is the final pot before the PI that is where I would insert the loop.

Mark
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

analogjunkie wrote:I am using the documentation attached below.

so the lower primary gives me more plate voltage/more headroom?
Analogjunkie,
You have identified a flaw in my layout drawing, I thank you you for that and I apologize for leading you down that path. I can't see how it would work if you built it like that drawing... take that note about it being unverified as meaningful.

I do believe the schematic is correct and we've been through that many times. This is the new power supply board layout for the Rockster and Roadster amps... all the parts are there but the wiring is not quite right for prime time. FWIW - I wanted to go to this power supply board design because if you look at closely, it is the PS board dimensions as the Express and Liverpool PS boards. Makes the inventory issues a little nicer to manage.

I just happened to see your post while I am enjoying a sleepless night in London while adjusting to the time shift here.... see if my revised attachment looks like the schematic and also looks like a good plan. I'll make permanent changes and post them when I return to the US in early August.
rj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/