New Build - Z Wreck Style

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

steve_p

Re: New Build - Z Wreck Style

Post by steve_p »

DR.Z wrote:Nice job Steve.
You sure have some building chops.
It's on par with Marks.

Now I know were I can find some subcontractor amp builders.

BTW I'm curious, minus your labor how much do you have invested in parts to build that amp?

Also I can see your going to have a problem with your Switchcraft #12 input jack, the alignment of the shorting leg is a failure waiting to happen.
I was forced to stop using the #12's do to high failures and switched to the # 113, FWI.

DR.Z
Hi Doc.

Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate very much your support of the community and the insight you provide.
I figure the total cost of the project was around $850 or so, including the NOS tubes and the custom sheetmetal chassis. The chassis was the major splurge on the project. Most everything else was in line with the approximate costs of a rocket.

Steve
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

[quote="M Fowler"]Dr. Z

TAG members should stop making these amps so you can keep your Zwreck line growing even more.

I will make the commitment right now that I will stop promoting the cloning of your Zwreck since it is a production amp and your bread/butter were talking about.

Thanks for the insight Mike.

Mark[/quote]

Well thanks Mark, I appreciate your concern.
The biggest problem is the couple Z-Wrecks you guy's built look pretty near factory....

Look out for Joe Walsh playing his new Z-Wreck set with Brad Paisley on CMT Entertainer of the year show Dec 13 th.

DR.Z
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The biggest problem is the couple Z-Wrecks you guy's built look pretty near factory....
But it's not going anywhere I play it in my basement sitting right next to my other amps sporting navy blue tolex.
Look out for Joe Walsh playing his new Z-Wreck set with Brad Paisley on CMT Entertainer of the year show Dec 13 th.
Will tune in doc that should be good.

Mark
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

DR.Z wrote:Look out for Joe Walsh playing his new Z-Wreck set with Brad Paisley on CMT Entertainer of the year show Dec 13 th.
WOW, Two of my guitar heroes together !
(I was at Kent State in the early '70s)

Thanks for the heads up.

reddog Steve
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

Same here Mark.... I am still in the honeymoon phase, but i don't envision this head going anywhere.

Unlike yours though, no navy blue tolex here. May just go finished hardwood, but we shall see.

Doc, I think I have enough minor differences that it could never be passed off as original. Black G-10, I wired my screens with different color wire, different type of screen resistors and B+ dropping resistors.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Dr Z,

Thanks for that breakdown. Obviously, you have a lot more expenses than most of us: shop rent, insurance, employees, advertising, dancing bears on employee birthdays, etc.

Since my building is in my spare time, I don't have all those costs. I have been--generally--charging about twice my parts/shipping costs for an amp. My Pocket Rocket is an exception. It costs, including the microphone gig bag that fits it perfectly, about $250 to make, and I sell it at $600.

Some people don't understand why even micro-businesses like mine need margin. But how else will I buy a new table saw, router bits, etc?

We're all caught by the impact of low cost manufacturing overseas, and Americans' addiction to cheapness. When the Twin Reverb debuted in 1964 it cost about $600; that's over $3000 in today's dollars!

So, even at your MSRP, Dr. Z amps have a low price relative to a 1960s amp! You really do sell at bargain prices.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
SteveKran

Post by SteveKran »

Steve, how did you print the labels on the chassis? I've been wanting to do something similar because I don't like the idea of a faceplate
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

Hi steve, the labeling is silk screened on the chassis. I had the sheet metal chassis fabricated, and they also did the textured black powder and the silk screening.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Steve
SteveKran

Post by SteveKran »

steve_p wrote:Hi steve, the labeling is silk screened on the chassis. I had the sheet metal chassis fabricated, and they also did the textured black powder and the silk screening.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Steve
I have an amp chassis that I made from a sheet of polished diamond plate aluminum. I don't want to have a face plate made because it would take away from the 'purdyness' of the bare aluminum. After I saw the silk screening on your chassis I KNEW it was the way I wanted to go. I love the clean and simple look. Only problem is I'm not sure if silk screening can be applied to the raised surfaces on the diamond plate.

This is the material I used. I cut out the corners with a bandsaw and then bent it on a metal brake. Then I cut out all the holes for the switches, jacks, tubes on a bridgeport here at work. My neighbor is actually borrowing it right now because his Dr. Z Maz 18 is out of commission at the moment, but I'll take some pictures and post them soon. Maybe yall might have some ideas for labeling it.

[img:369:250]http://www.metalsdepot.com/pics/DPlate_sm.jpg[/img]
jtaylor996

Post by jtaylor996 »

Dr. Z

I've been very curious about that Z wreck for some time now. I think you've got it priced just right where anyone wanting to clone it wouldn't be doing so to make any money off of it.

I've been looking for an amp model to build, and the Z wreck is on my list, but not for financial reasons. If I was being cheap, I'd just buy used, or maybe new. I'd be happy to support the fact that you're carrying on the KF tradition of amp building.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jason at my local music shop told me there is a used Zwreck for sale in my town but not sure how much he is willing to let it go for or maybe I could trade him a couple amps for it.

I'll let you all know if that happens.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Watched the show and it was good but man had to wait until the end for Joe and Brad to play. Saw Joe playing through Zwreck 212 and Brad had a TW, Vox head, and could not make out the rest.

Mark
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

M Fowler wrote:Watched the show and it was good but man had to wait until the end for Joe and Brad to play. Saw Joe playing through Zwreck 212 and Brad had a TW, Vox head, and could not make out the rest.

Mark
I enjoyed seeing Joe getting some recognition, he still has the voice.
It looked like he may have been changing (or forgetting) the lyrics to his own song, I've seen that before.

The banter with Shatner was cool.

I'll have to slo-mo to see if I can tell which amp Brad was actually playing through, but both guitars sounded great.

rd
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

I know it's been said 100 times, but Paisley's tone is off the charts good. Ok, that's it, I'm building a Liverpool! Fishy you're right, the Liverpool circuit has gots some serious goods!
I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!