Kuddos to Passfan

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gibsonman63

Kuddos to Passfan

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I had a rare opportunity last weekend. A friend's brother and I have been talking about amplifiers for some time and he recently purchased a Komet type build from Passfan through the forum. Fast forward a couple of months and he's down from Ohio to celebrate my buddy's birthday here in Texas, with the amp. We ended up having a total blast playing the amp through my various speaker cabinets and comparing it to my two builds. The Komet was very cleanly built, versitile, loud and quiet when there is no guitar playing going on. The fast/gradual swith was really useful to go from clean to balls. I need to look into the nuts and bolts of that a bit more.

Anyway, great work. It sure would be fun to get more of these Trainwreck type builds in the same room to compare and hear how they work with different guitars, speakers and players.
dorrisant

Re: Kuddos to Passfan

Post by dorrisant »

I agree, it would be cool! It has been brought up before, but it seems too difficult yo establish a venue... or a city for a venue for that matter...

Kudos to Passfan as well... wish we could hear it... up close and in person.

No one really understands some of these amps until they plug in. Videos don't ever do them justice... the sound is always different than live and only the player can feel what the amp does with his own input.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
passfan

Post by passfan »

I humbly accept my Kudos , with the explanation that it's nothing more than plenty here have done , some better than me. There are a lot of competent amp builders here. I just got lucky and met the right guy at the right time. I couldn't have asked for a better customer and I hope you guys had a ball airing that amp out.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
ampmike

Stop in

Post by ampmike »

Anybody ever in the NYC,NJ,Pa area please come by.I have a room full of amps and Im home 24/7.I have a cabinet shop here as well.Just drop me an email or call mcauley68@yahoo.com.Ive become friends will some of the best people here!!!!!!Mikey
passfan

Post by passfan »

I feel bad , Kudos as well go out to funkmeblue up in Akron who looked at and repaired a bad VVR mosfet for me and my customer which saved me time and money. He was right around the corner from my guy and looked at it for a 12 pack. I owe ya bud.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

No worries, Passfan. I can assure you that everybody is happy in all regards.

Now a little brainstorming. I never know if I really like an amp until I play it in a band situation and hear how it fits in the mix. How about a bring your own build open mic? I think I could line up a rhythm section and venue in Houston if there is any interest.
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

+1 on a great sounding amp. When these circuits are done right they all sound great and have there own unique character
anything worth doing, is worth doing right