Rocket Description

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jeshin

Rocket Description

Post by jeshin »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me a good description of what the rocket can do. And if you could compare it to AC30s and a matchless DC30 that'd be even better.

I was originally looking at building myself a dumble and even thinking of having el84s in the power section. But I was also referred here by the people in the dumble section.

You see what Im really wanting is my current amp's sound (Hayseed 15) that is just bigger/fuller sounding, more headroom but maintain the classic vox jangle/chime and aggressiveness.

Thanks!
strato17

Re: Rocket Description

Post by strato17 »

Hey Jeshin,

Compared to my AC30TB, this amp has a larger broadband of sound. It is alot wider, tighter/thicker lows, and smoother top end. The EQ controls are also WAY more usable in my opinion. I love mine.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

The following is just my opinion, based upon the Rockets I have built. YMMV.

A Rocket has very clear, chimey cleans up to about 4-5 on the volume pot. it is both a bright amp AND an amp with lots of bottom on tap. Clean, or cleanish, it just loves single coils (I play P90's mostly, but also Teles). When you push it into overdrive, it is a very smooth overdrive, not grainy like the classic Marshall sound. it can get pretty agressive when dimed, but again, agressive in a smooth way.

If you can't tell, it is one of my favorite amps. :D

It is the same circuit (basically) as both the AC30 and the DC30. Little differences in the circuit values, but generally very similar. The biggest differences will be in the iron and the cabinet/speakers. This can result in significant tonal differences (think Bassman vs. JTM45), but might not.

Hope this is helpful.
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

I see! Thanks for the replies thus far, so would I notice a huge difference going from my hayseed?
ampmike

Rocket

Post by ampmike »

Im going to say mine is a bit on a Vox Fender tone.Mine is really clean lots of headroom.Great amp and a solid base for pedals!!Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
strato17

Post by strato17 »

jeshin wrote:I see! Thanks for the replies thus far, so would I notice a huge difference going from my hayseed?
I played a buddy's Hayseed 30 for awhile and to my ear, the rocket is MUCH smoother. It can still be aggressive, but in all the right ways... in my opinion.
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

so you would say the hayseed was more aggressive sounding? Hmmmm I think I may need to get me one! Anyone compare with a z-wreck? And also would love to hear dc30 comparison
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

Bump~ and also is the rocket a percussive amp?
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

you could build a rocket with DC-30 iron and get closer to matchless... i was thinking of doing that.. rocket is just ken's version of the best AC30... everyones clone of the rocket is going to sound a little different id think.. to many variables... no standard trannies on this one
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

jeshin wrote:Bump~ and also is the rocket a percussive amp?
I've built a couple. If you listen to Brad Paisley playing a ZWreck or his original flame-valenced Rocket, when he initially attacks a note, you hear a distinct, midrangey >>BONK<<. Dr. Z talks about the original Vox used for the opening chord of Hard Day's Night as being piano-like. That is a good description. There is a clang and warm, bell-like presence. It is very touch sensitive; play light and it's crystalline, dig in and there's grit, dime it and its Brian May. So yeah, I'd say it had a percussive quality. I hear that very snappy quality to the Tele/chicken pickin' Rocket tone when guys have the technique down. With a Les Paul type guitar, with the gain on about 1 o'clock, you can get a very Foo Fightery tone. Lots of broken glass, gritty distortion that just shimmers. It's not "high gain" like Meshuggah or Periphery, but it is very unique and totally characteristic of that Voxy sound and that cold-biased PI. With a hint of chorus and that grit, you can get old school Progressive tone that is really killer.

As guys have said previously, good pedal platform, but just straight in is sublime. I can hear why Vox is one of the Three (In the name of the Fender, the Vox, and the holy Marshall)
badtweed

Post by badtweed »

Colossal wrote:
jeshin wrote:Bump~ and also is the rocket a percussive amp?
snip.
Dr. Z talks about the original Vox used for the opening chord of Hard Day's Night as being piano-like. That is a good description.

snip
Funny Dr Z should say that since the opening chord of the Hard Day's Night has both a Ricky 12 and a piano chord mixed together. That song's lead part has Ricky 12 and piano doubling as well.
redshark

Post by redshark »

The rocket can be only described with one word...awesome!!! if it has the correct spec transformers and is tubed right.
:D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

And if you haven't already checked this out, you probably should...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLcL13Z1FQ
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

yup since my op, been listening to more and its sounds amazing especially the break up! Haha, its definitely something I think may be the amp for me haha we'll see how my amp turns out. Since like someone said depending on variables everyone's amp is different!