New Liverpool Done!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Re: New Liverpool Done!

Post by drhulsey »

Allynmey wrote:Finally got to finish my Liverpool...
Allyn,
I find a resistor between the wiper of the volume pot and the grid of the second 1/2 12 AX7 on Mark Abbott's L'pool preamp schematic. He labels it Rgs. On your pics I see a blue wire from the volume pot wiper to pin 2 on V1. Did you put a resistor perhaps under the board?
For the coupling cap and grid leak resistor between V1 and V2 (C8 and R7 on Mark's schem), What values did you use? The best I can tell from your pics, the resistor is 150K (?brown, green, yellow), and (crane my neck the best I can) I can't see the value on the cap :lol:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Tim the 820 Ohm resistor your talking about isn't used on every 'wreck. Ken probably used it to calm an oscillation. I've seen about 5-6 'wrecks close up and only 2 had one. I used a 150K resistor on the Grid load like the Express. I like it! You can go as low as 68K on the Liverpool if you need to calm it down but, I saw two liverpools that used 150K's so I use them. The Grid load doesn't use a cap but, there is a .002 cap feeding the GL resistor. :D
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Allynmey wrote:... the 820 Ohm resistor your talking about isn't used on every 'wreck.
Allyn, that explains a lot. It's just a little tweak Ken used to bring an amp back from the abyss of instability :lol: Thanks again for the enlightenment :!:
Tim

drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Allynmey wrote:I've seen about 5-6 'wrecks close up...
Allyn, it appears to me that you designed your PS board based on the Ginger design rather than the later more Express-like board. There seems to be a dual cathode bias: a resistor (130R)/cap (220µF) for each pair of EL84's instead of one for all 4. Am I correct? Is that one of those "You can do it either way" circuit equivalents or is the dual supply better? Maybe it's like the 80µF cap and the 18k2 resistor, schem'd one way, implemented another :D
Tim

UR12

Post by UR12 »

drhulsey wrote:
Allynmey wrote:I've seen about 5-6 'wrecks close up...
Allyn, it appears to me that you designed your PS board based on the Ginger design rather than the later more Express-like board. There seems to be a dual cathode bias: a resistor (130R)/cap (220µF) for each pair of EL84's instead of one for all 4. Am I correct? Is that one of those "You can do it either way" circuit equivalents or is the dual supply better? Maybe it's like the 80µF cap and the 18k2 resistor, schem'd one way, implemented another :D
Not to speak for Allyn but he built that Liverpool before the new pics came out and the Ginger PS was the only one we had pics of at the time. Using 2 cathode caps and resistors (one for each pair gives you the option to put in a 1/2 power switch and use smaller wattage resistors (10w). The resistors should be 120 - 125 ohms.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Exactly Dana. I use the later board layout and perfboard material now. :D
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Allynmey wrote:Exactly Dana. I use the later board layout and perfboard material now. :D
Do you have pics of one of your new Liverpool builds with the newer PS board?
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Here's one I have here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

UR12 wrote: Not to speak for Allyn but ...
Dana and Allyn, thanks :!: I'm trying to draw up a layout for the Express to go with my schematic with some labelling for less experienced builders. A dual cathode bias was my interpretation and seems to be present on the 86 L'pool pic, as well. Thanks for the confirmation :D
Tim

RJ Guitars

Liverpool Clips

Post by RJ Guitars »

Allyn, I'd love to hear a clip from this amp... and if anyone has other clips from a liverpool, could you lead me to them?

Thanks

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
UR12

Re: Liverpool Clips

Post by UR12 »

RJ Guitars wrote:... and if anyone has other clips from a liverpool, could you lead me to them?

Thanks

rj
Here is a couple of my Liverpool

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1381&start=0