Component labeling rules

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Component labeling rules

Post by drhulsey »

I was re-drawing the A1b schematic and adding a few labels and notes based on information gathered on this forum. As I was talking to myself :lol: the question came up: Are there any particular rules to the order of component numbering :?: Obviously, for personal use, it doesn't matter. But if I was going to share this, I would want to follow the conventional methods.
Any suggestions :?:
Thanks
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
bnwitt

Re: Component labeling rules

Post by bnwitt »

Tim,
every amp layout I've ever seen with component numbers had a logic that numbered the components from the input to the output as seen on the schematic. On two channel amps it is typical to number the components through each preamp one by one and then the power amp. So you'd have for instance R1 through R25 in channel one, and then R26 through R50 in channel two etc. Then the power section would be next. That's what I've seen anyway.
Great things happen in a vacuum
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

bnwitt wrote:...amp layout ... with component numbers had a logic
That makes sense and is actually what I did. I thought I had better get a second opinion :lol:
Thanks for your help :!: :!:
Tim

skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

drhulsey wrote:
bnwitt wrote:...amp layout ... with component numbers had a logic
That makes sense and is actually what I did. I thought I had better get a second opinion :lol:
Thanks for your help :!: :!:
Actually the whole enterprise makes sense to me. In the olden days, magazine articles used to publish schemes with component labeling as you've described, but also a bill of materials along with it.

Granted that folks will need to vary things unless they are using the PRECISE iron that KF or Alexander used. Still, it would be a big help to say C6 22mfd (u) 25volts sprague electrolytic for instance.

Question of the day is, are you going to treat us to your work?

DanH
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

skyboltone wrote: Question of the day is, are you going to treat us to your work?
Without question :!: :!: I think I'm about finished with the Express schematic. I'll get it up as soon as it's done and let everybody check for mistakes. I'm working on a Liverpool schem, as well. Mind you, I'm just trying to make a schematic thats easy to read, has component numbers, tube pin numbers, etc. There is NOTHING original. It just helps me understand the circuit and makes a better reference for me during the build. I would never hesitate to share whatever I have with this resourceful forum, as long as it's accurate and doesn't confuse more than it helps :wink:
Tim

skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

drhulsey wrote:
skyboltone wrote: Question of the day is, are you going to treat us to your work?
Without question :!: :!: I think I'm about finished with the Express schematic. I'll get it up as soon as it's done and let everybody check for mistakes. I'm working on a Liverpool schem, as well. Mind you, I'm just trying to make a schematic thats easy to read, has component numbers, tube pin numbers, etc. There is NOTHING original. It just helps me understand the circuit and makes a better reference for me during the build. I would never hesitate to share whatever I have with this resourceful forum, as long as it's accurate and doesn't confuse more than it helps :wink:
Thanks Tim, I too have an easier time of things when everything is spelled out on the scheme.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

skyboltone wrote:...treat us to your work?
Dan, I have posted the Express schematic on this thread to try to get some feedback for improvement and corrections:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25050#25050
I will do the same for the Liverpool when it's finished.
Tim