A new girl is born!!!!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

romberg

Re: A new girl is born!!!!

Post by romberg »

redshark wrote: This is how she sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZvXiOklN0
Sounds good to me. I wish more amp demos were just like this. It shows off what the amp can do and does not emphasize the player (your playing also sounds fine to me :). Doing it this way, the listener can imagine any other player plugged into that "sound".

I liked the transition between the first clean bit and where you dig in more with the pick. That stands out and can be missing in alot of demos. It would have been nice if the camera was panned a bit higher so you could see the change in pickups. But you can hear that if you listen for it. Seeing it would make it more obvious.

All in all, nice job!

Mike
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Congratulations and nice work! Thanks for sharing. Sounds really smooth.
redshark

Post by redshark »

Thanks a lot guys!! I'm very proud of it!! :D
Last edited by redshark on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Great amp & a stunning Heritage.
Gotta love those 2 together.
Melikes mucho much.
Well Done.
Why Aye Man
redshark

Post by redshark »

Thanks! Heritage is NOT stock.
I upgraded the pickups to Fralin pure PAF which are neck 7.5K and around 8.1k for bridge. Very close to old PAF and pots were upgraded to the Gibson historic which have a vintage taper like old centralabs. Of course 50's wiring with paper in oil caps and that helps a lot with the express to create the clean to mean!!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

redshark wrote:Thanks a lot guys!! I'm waiting for airbloom to come and say it sounds horrible, but I'm still proud of it!! :D
News Flash on oldpoop / airboom. Apparently he's a "disturbed person" who's off his meds. So either he's to be taken away to the rubber room or his mommy will make him take his happy pills soon. So either way don't worry about him or his opinions. Take a look at the latest postings on Garage Talk "How To Contact" thread. And be glad you're not him.
Last edited by Leo_Gnardo on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

My Heritage doesn't get much play time.
Nothing to do with the pups or pots.
Although I will think about what you have done.
Mine's just too pretty (gold).
Hope that makes sense.
They do make great guitars.
Amp sounds great to me.
Why Aye Man
cbass

Post by cbass »

nice real nice
katopan

Post by katopan »

Very nice amp Redshark! And she sounds like an Express to me. I also loved the simplicity of the demo and how it just showed what the amp sounds like. Man, every time I see a clip one of you guys post it just makes me look forward more to when I can hear the same sort of tones in my own amp. I'm still a long way off but working toward it slowly.
redshark

Post by redshark »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your support comments.

Katopan a lot has to do with fine tunning and tube selection. Many things had been documented about how to make it sound closer to an original. Lead dress, speakers, pickups, pots in your guitar. etc., etc. etc. everything matters!!
Last edited by redshark on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
redshark

Post by redshark »

Bob S wrote:My Heritage doesn't get much play time.
Nothing to do with the pups or pots.
Although I will think about what you have done.
Mine's just too pretty (gold).
Hope that makes sense.
They do make great guitars.
Amp sounds great to me.
I just think the upgrades I made to the guitar are a big help with the express dynamics (clean to mean).
:)

you should try them on your guitar. PM and I will share all.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Beautiful sounding amp. Nice cleans and fantastic O.D on those 6V6's. Nice Heritage also. Back about 3 years ago I was delivering a cord of firewood (I do this when my Reg. job slow's down) anyway was on Church St. in Kalamazoo where Heritage Guitars and of course the old Gibson factory is. My cousin and I walked up to the front door to ask for a tour of the place well the nice man at the door who was a cool guy said the boss would be back in 45 or so min. We waited for awhile but in an hour he did not arrive. So the man came out to tell us the boss would be late if we wanted to wait we said thanks but would come back some other time the man said cool. I live 25 miles from the place and my stupid as has yet to visit. :oops: :evil: Anyway I will make a point to do so again soon. Again wonderful sounding amp and guitar redshark. I hope I didn't waist no ones time with my pathetic story :) Chad
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Sorry about the de-rail.
Far - Far from pathetic...
Go see those guys at Heritage.
Go early !
They eat Gibsons for breakfast.
Truth.
8)
Why Aye Man
Chad

Post by Chad »

Bob S wrote:Sorry about the de-rail.
Far - Far from pathetic...
Go see those guys at Heritage.
Go early !
They eat Gibsons for breakfast.
Truth.
8)
Will do real soon,can't wait Bob thanks. Chad
redshark

Post by redshark »

No thread derailed at all!!! This is all about tone!!

Heritage guitars are awesome!! and since we all tweak our gear to a degree, heritage guitars to me are easier to upgrade chasing that late 50's vibe. Gibson USA guitars (Les pauls) use long shaft pots and no one has a descent taper. This Heritage guitars are equivalent to the Gibson historic and the historic pots are really good duplicating the taper of the old centralab pots.All the craftmanship and old hand-made mojo is there so get good low gain pickups, historic pots and paper in oil caps, do some 50's wiring and you can get a lotta color from your express amp.

The 6V6's that I have in the build pictures are not the ones in the demo. I found an old pair of grey glass cunningham labeled 6V6GT's maybe sylvania, RCA or tungsol made, who knows but they are a closer match and sound fantastic, less than 1 mA apart!!

Is biased around 25mA, little bit more than 70%, running a 410 voltage.

I still wanna try EL34's with this girl!

Funny thing is, before he was banned, airbloom sent me an email complimenting the sound of the amp, saying the cleans were very good and that he would work a little bit more with the OD sound but that he didn't find it buzzy like other clones! He said I should try with speakers.

:D I feel honored that the tone guru approved!!

sad that dude has that attitude cause he seems knowledgable but enough drama outside to find it here too!!