Snap, crackle n pop in a Liverpool

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plook

Snap, crackle n pop in a Liverpool

Post by plook »

My TW Livrpool clone has developed a snap, crackle, pop, high pitch whistling. I think it might be a bad orange drop cap, but how do i locate where a bad cap is? I've changed all tubes and re-soldered all joints on the board.
beasleybodyshop

Re: Snap, crackle n pop in a Liverpool

Post by beasleybodyshop »

plook wrote:My TW Livrpool clone has developed a snap, crackle, pop, high pitch whistling. I think it might be a bad orange drop cap, but how do i locate where a bad cap is? I've changed all tubes and re-soldered all joints on the board.
Do you have access to an oscilloscope? If not, here is a technique I use to test a capacitor:

Take a 9volt battery and a battery snap holder. attach the leads to either end of your capacitor (if your cap is polarised, attach it accordingly) check the cap with a multimeter - should show nine volts. Now, disconnect your cap from one leg of your battery snap. If the voltage immediately drops, you know your cap is bad. If it slowly discharges, you know your cap is ok. Hope this helps.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
romberg

Post by romberg »

I don't know how well, using a 9v and DMM really works in testing for a bad cap.

http://www.robotroom.com/Capacitor-Self ... rge-1.html

You could use your DMM and see if any DC voltage leaks across the bypass caps.

What is described sounds pretty spot on to an amp I had with a pretty dodgy solder joint on the treble pot. The amp would snap pop and whistle. When the joint was properly resoldered, the snap pop and whistle were gone.

Mike
plook

Post by plook »

Thanks. I'll try that out

I do have a scope, just got it recently. Don't know how to use it yet though.