Boost

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Boost

Post by Mark »

I read Ken liked the Hotcake and purchased mine on Ken's recommendation. I like a Keeley modded DS-1 for my 18 watter, and I look forward to seeing what the Hotcake will do with my Rocket clone once it is up and going.

I have a Rangemaster clone too. It will be interesting!
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I love a Hotcake to drive a Rocket type amp over the edge. I think Ken's mom even took a trip across the pond to buy one for him.

My personal favorite has to be a Klon Centaur. Lots of nice gain settings... 3D cleans to feedback that goes on and on. If I only had one pedal this would be the one.

I've built a bunch of clones of great pedals and have quite a few originals but these two stand out.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Double post.

Gotta build a Rangemaster for sure, though.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
5dollazz

Post by 5dollazz »

I totally love rangemasters. I've built a few and have found that I like them biased a little dirty. Biasing to -7v or -7.2v (I forget what this exact value is, whatever is generally recommended for the cleanest output), seems to lack a little character to me. But lower than that and look out. I also like OC44s over OC71s. And I also like to put a switch on them to select between different input caps, so it can boost more than just the treble, if you're into that kinda thing. But the treble boost rules. When the stars align I get this cocked way kinda sound that cuts like a hot knife.

There's that GEO fx pdf online with all the info on the world regarding rangemasters.