What speakers sound good with the express?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

geetarpicker

Re: What speakers sound good with the express?

Post by geetarpicker »

Duplicate post for some reason...
Last edited by geetarpicker on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

It has been quite a few years since we put a Ceriatone Express side by side with my '89 original. That said three things stand out in my mind. First the Ceri did clean up well from the guitar. Two, it was a bit brighter and harsher. Not a deal breaker but the sweetness of the original wasn't quite there. Third and most notably the Ceri was much louder than my original. This particular Ceri had their transformers in it. If you recall Express amps can use most any output tubes that have the same pinout, and many folks use either EL34s or 6V6s for lower output. That said, the Ceri I played was louder with 6V6s than my original is with EL34s! This could be difficult for some folks. Perhaps it was the Ceri OT, and maybe a difference in primary impedance. Not sure.
I will finish with saying the Ceri was well built and soldered up quite well, especially if you consider the $.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for recapping your experience with the Ceriatone amp.

What speakers are you using live these days?

You were using Scumbacks in lieu of your pre Rola Celestions when this thread began. :oops:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Same speakers live. Scumbacks. I'd like to try their PVC versions at some point. I should mention that I'm really liking the new Celestion Creamback G12Ms in a couple of Fender combos. That said I have not tried them yet with a TW but I bet they will work very well.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi,
I tried the WGS ET65 Creamback with Express and Liverpool derivate and was very satisfied. So with "original" Celestions I should be even more there, but that's a question of monetas.
Its a good full sound.

Hans-Jörg
Last edited by hans-jörg on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

geetarpicker wrote:Same speakers live. Scumbacks. I'd like to try their PVC versions at some point. I should mention that I'm really liking the new Celestion Creamback G12Ms in a couple of Fender combos. That said I have not tried them yet with a TW but I bet they will work very well.
PVC for the basket? Oh.. :shock:
Never heard, but interesting.

Best

Hans-Jörg
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

No but I agree it's a confusing designation! In their case PVC stands for paper voice coil.
rp

Post by rp »

hans-jörg wrote:PVC for the basket?
PVC in this case = Paper Voice Coil

Glen, Hi, did you run the ceria with the tubes from your amp? That would be the acid test. The tubes are half the amp :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I was curious as I'd heard people were concerned how they would age. They wondered if they might change tonally after a few years of use. As you have an original cab you have some basis for opinion of these speakers.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

rp wrote:
hans-jörg wrote:PVC for the basket?
PVC in this case = Paper Voice Coil
:idea: :)
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Mark with my experience old played PVC speakers always sound better. Warmer, fatter, creamier. I just picked up an old #10 Rola PVC out of an organ for $15, compared it side by side with a new fender remake of the speaker that was also PVC that was $100+. There was no comparison. The old Rola dominated. But that's going In my 5f2a, not an express. Just my $.02 on PVC
Nigel Tufnel

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

I really like the Heritage g12h 55hz in a straight 4x12 with my express build. Weber 30w silver bell ceramics are great too. I had the opportunity to a/b the heritage vs some real pulsonics that were also 30w 55hz and I preferred the reissue for my wreck. The old ones were def sweeter and I'd take em any day for an angry super lead but I loved the extra punch and kerrang that the heritage gave my wreck. They kept all the bloom but they made a little of that compression into punch if that makes sense. The heritages are aggressive for sure but it's funny how different amps react to them. I have a great sounding 90's g12m 4x12 with 6402 cones that loves any marshall but can be a bit strident with wrecks and komets. My heritage 4x12 is kinda strident with some marshals but is just right with Ken's stuff.
johan

Post by johan »

What type of cabinet do you recommend for Express type amps?

I have two Scumback M75 65watt from a Bluesbreaker I sold.
Thinking of ordering a 2x12". No way I need a 412 as I don't play the big stages. To keep the volume down I've even considered a 1x12" as I thinkk the 65 watt speaker will handle the Express just fine.

I sometimes tame the volume using a Cougar Thunderbrake

I like the cabs made by Tube Town here in Europe. Would you go for a British type of cab w closed or semi-open back, open Fender cab or even a Dumble type of cab (oval)?

I love the Scumbacks w the Express.
Guus

Post by Guus »

Hi Guy's,

I've tested all kind off different Celestion speakers (Alnico and Ceramic) I could find for my Express and Liverpool amp.
I must agree that the old G12M (herritage) sounds always very good.
But....
I also try every new type celestion speaker that comes out.
Early this year I was extremely pleased with the new V-type speaker.
Wow, what a very sweet sounding speaker, in clean and in overdrive.
It sounds like a G12M with some of he body of a Vintage 30.
Spec's: 12", 75 Hz, 98 dB, 70 watts.
Realy a very, very nice sounding guitar speaker.
I think it's worth every euro/dollar.
I would say: don't stay with the old types but also try some new types.
If you don't change anything, nothing changes in your sound.

grz
Guss
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

A Bogner cube 1x12 is worth a look for anyone wanting as small a cab as possible. It is a front ported cab, and seems well tuned for Celestions.