Need schooling on the fix that corrected my issue

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jlatrace

Need schooling on the fix that corrected my issue

Post by jlatrace »

I just corrected a problem where somehow dc voltgae (very small amount was leaking and would dischacharge when I touched my strings of my guitar. I checked continuity from my guitar to various ground points and found 2.1 ohms resistance from the speaker jack to the guitar.

I used cliff jacks grounded to the phase inverter ground. Tried changing the speaker jack ground to the ground with the PT cahthodes and there was no change. So I pulled the cliff jack and put in a standard switching jack and wired it up Fender style and the problem was corrected.

Other than wiring the jack wrong (which I could have), does anybody have an idea what might have caused the leaking at the cliff speaker jack?
Bob-I

Re: Need schooling on the fix that corrected my issue

Post by Bob-I »

jlatrace wrote:I just corrected a problem where somehow dc voltgae (very small amount was leaking and would dischacharge when I touched my strings of my guitar. I checked continuity from my guitar to various ground points and found 2.1 ohms resistance from the speaker jack to the guitar.

I used cliff jacks grounded to the phase inverter ground. Tried changing the speaker jack ground to the ground with the PT cahthodes and there was no change. So I pulled the cliff jack and put in a standard switching jack and wired it up Fender style and the problem was corrected.

Other than wiring the jack wrong (which I could have), does anybody have an idea what might have caused the leaking at the cliff speaker jack?
I'd check that PI ground, which if I read the schematic right is the presence control. I'll bet you have the same 2.1R there. If not then the only answer is the cliff jack was grounded improperly.
jlatrace

Post by jlatrace »

You are correct. When I had the cliff jack grounded to the PI it did show the 2.1 ohms and when I moved the cliff jack ground to the mains the PI showed 0.0 ohms and the only place I got a 2.2 ohms reading was from the cliff jack to the guitar strings.

So it was the way I wired the cliff jack. Thanks for the help double checking me.
paulruby

Post by paulruby »

So... Why is there 2 ohms between the PI ground point and other ground points? Something is fishy (still needing fixed).
jlatrace

Post by jlatrace »

Thanks Paul. I wasn't clear in my earlier post so let me try to clear things up.

I sourced the 2 ohm issue to the speaker jack and to the PI ground node (I grounded my speaker jack to the PI ground node before taking the PI node to the PT bolt). Before it was corrected I would get a 2 ohm reading from the guitar (strings) to the speaker jack and from the guitar to the PI ground node.

After I rewired the jack the readings from all ground points to the guitar and from the speaker jack to the guitar were 0.0 ohms (including the readings from the PI ground node to the PT bolt).

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for making sure I corrected my issue.