Ceriatone Expression

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Roe

Re: Ceriatone Expression

Post by Roe »

I think the main reason why ceriatone's ot seems louder is that nik usually use the 5k2 primary while many others, including most originals, use the 6k6 primary. my exp puts our 26w at the point of clipping with nik's trannies. I don't know why everybody says a express is loud - many of the classic tubeamps are much louder
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Pongo316

Post by Pongo316 »

I've use Niks parts sounded like a Hot roded Marshall and loud using all his parts that I put together geting some other other Iron TS out put and building another one and try to mellow it out just a fraction.

IMO great kit , Haven't heard a real TW in person not that lucky

Maybe guitarpicker will sen his my way for a trial :D wishfull thinking

But what I have picked up with this amp design is you got to have your chops and confidence happening as its not to forgiving (hind of separates the men from the boys)

I run mine with a 16 ohm hot plate , thinking of putting some kond of master on it , I know it won't be the same as the speakers arn't working but I'm open to any sugetions [/list]
Munga

Post by Munga »

Roe wrote:I think the main reason why ceriatone's ot seems louder is that nik usually use the 5k2 primary while many others, including most originals, use the 6k6 primary. my exp puts our 26w at the point of clipping with nik's trannies. I don't know why everybody says a express is loud - many of the classic tubeamps are much louder
My Ceriatone could give a 100 watt plexi a run for its money. For being less than half the wattage (or maybe just half), that is pretty damn loud.
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.
Pongo316

Post by Pongo316 »

Munga wrote:
Roe wrote:I think the main reason why ceriatone's ot seems louder is that nik usually use the 5k2 primary while many others, including most originals, use the 6k6 primary. my exp puts our 26w at the point of clipping with nik's trannies. I don't know why everybody says a express is loud - many of the classic tubeamps are much louder
My Ceriatone could give a 100 watt plexi a run for its money. For being less than half the wattage (or maybe just half), that is pretty damn loud.
Yep I'm using 5K2 , gona change to 6K6 and see if that tames her down

Don't get me wrong sounds great on the 5K2 tapes that what Nik suggested.

Q/ can I use both tapes for EL34 , 6v6 , el84 glass ?
Pongo316

Post by Pongo316 »

just checked im using the 6k6 taps all ready going by Niks codes pink / grey 6K6

Blue/Brown 5k2
Roe

Post by Roe »

Munga wrote:
I don't believe this. a healty 100w will burry your wreck. the express has much less than 50w clean headroom whereas a marshall often has 120w. the express can seem loud because it is bright and has a hard attack
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Roe wrote:
Munga wrote:
I don't believe this. a healthy 100w will bury your wreck. the express has much less than 50w clean headroom whereas a Marshall often has 120w. the express can seem loud because it is bright and has a hard attack
+1 my wreck can be stomped on by 50 watt tube Fenders. I've found that this amp is meant for a band that "listens" to each other. Everyone needs to know their space. As to what was said, this is the kind of amp that separates the men from the boys!
Munga

Post by Munga »

Roe wrote:
Munga wrote:
I don't believe this. a healty 100w will burry your wreck. the express has much less than 50w clean headroom whereas a marshall often has 120w. the express can seem loud because it is bright and has a hard attack

I have played my Wreck fully cranked with another guitarist that had a 50 watt plexi full cranked. It held its own rather nicely.

What is the difference between seeming loud and being loud. If you can hear over something, doesn't that make it louder? Or am I confused?
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

Munga wrote:

I have played my Wreck fully cranked with another guitarist that had a 50 watt plexi full cranked. It held its own rather nicely.

What is the difference between seeming loud and being loud. If you can hear over something, doesn't that make it louder? Or am I confused?

I think there are several factors at play here.

1. Humans don't hear volume linearly. We hear logarithmically . And to top it off it's frequency dependent on which equal volume tone we hear as being loudest. The peak in our ears is ~3kHz. If you have speakers or an amp that accentuates those frequency's, you will perceive that as being louder. In the same manner, an amp with less presence and high end will sound quieter. (This is how someone can make 150dB in a car with subwoofers and still be able to be inside the thing...we don't hear those frequencys very efficiently so they are perceived as quieter.....try listening to that same power at 3kHz and you'll notice it's significantly louder)

2. This is a correlary to #1...since we hear volume in log, we perceive a doubling of output power as only a slightly noticable increase in volume.

I have a hunch that these things manifests themselves as observances such as..."OMG, my little 30w TW is as loud as my friends Plexi!"....yes, it is VERY close in perceived volume...and with TrainWrecks the emphasis on "ring" and "bright" will falsely tell your ears that the smaller amp is more powerful.
Last edited by Abstract on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Munga wrote:
Roe wrote:
Munga wrote:

Also if a louder amp is in a specific bandwidth, a lower powered amp can somewhat keep up if its voiced in another area. You still need to compete with SPL but part of the problem is negated.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Some of the 50w plexi's have low plate voltages like the wrecks and that would make them as loud compared to eachother.

My fourbanger Plexi with healthy xf2's and 560V on the plates will *EAT* a wreck. :twisted: However, it eats greenbacks too :lol: :roll:
Munga

Post by Munga »

leaveitalone84 wrote:
Munga wrote:
Roe wrote: I don't believe this. a healty 100w will burry your wreck. the express has much less than 50w clean headroom whereas a marshall often has 120w. the express can seem loud because it is bright and has a hard attack

Also if a louder amp is in a specific bandwidth, a lower powered amp can somewhat keep up if its voiced in another area. You still need to compete with SPL but part of the problem is negated.
That is basically what I was talking about. I guess I was being unclear. My Express can hold its own with all those amps, so regardless of why, it gets the job done.
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.
Munga

Post by Munga »

jelle wrote:Some of the 50w plexi's have low plate voltages like the wrecks and that would make them as loud compared to eachother.

My fourbanger Plexi with healthy xf2's and 560V on the plates will *EAT* a wreck. :twisted: However, it eats greenbacks too :lol: :roll:
Maybe the room can make a difference too. The particular room I tested them in muddied the Plexis but not the Twreck, so that could have contributed?
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

Munga wrote:
Sorry but they're not even in the same league volume wise my 100w 69 Super Bass would blow a hole in your skull if u cranked it in my room it's volume like u've never experienced.. the Wreck is very loud indeed but it's not delivering that same bone crushing volume.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Express is a great amp for what is was intended for with plenty of sound pressure through the right speaker. But is not in the same category as a Marshall 100w.

Want more perceived sound level attach a 412 cabinet or closed back cab with EVM12L or a pair for fun. :)