New build Liverpool finished

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ron Worley

Re: New build Liverpool finished

Post by Ron Worley »

M Fowler wrote:Ron are most guys also using the stick on cork to help absorb the shock as well? I ran across some at Home Depot. I can't say that I have seen that used before but what the heck every little bit helps.

Mark
Mark, I can't vouch for what others do, but I use it to add just a bit of mechanical cushion- the amp itself is pretty microphonic...

I read about the cork thing somewhere here, can't remember where...

Another thing that it helps with is avoiding scratching the living shit out of your nice furniture grade cabinet with the metal screws that hold the cover on.

Using sheet aluminum will work fine, but the Hammond cover has nice dimples pressed into it that set the amp up a bit off the cabinet, and if you're going totally anal provide a nice spot for the fasteners Ken used to attach the amp to the cabinet...

Ron
gahult

Post by gahult »

Cork???
It's in Ron's build guide page 69.

-Mechanical stability seems to affect electronic stability on the Express; KF did a lot of things to
help with making the amp stable. It has been noted somewhere that an application of thin
adhesive backed cork on the bottom plate between the chassis and the cabinet helps with
transmission of mechanical vibration (like when the head is on top of the speaker cab….).

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
xk49w

Post by xk49w »

geetarpicker wrote:I guess those EL34s REALLY generate some upper harmonics.
I wonder if you might have had an RF oscillation in there somewhere? Ever look at it with a decent scope, maybe using a loop on a piece of rg-8 for a probe? A spectrum analyzer would be even better, but those aren't too common in the usual audio shop.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I ended up at the local hardware outlet and got some .040 aluminun sheet 24 x 12 only size they had and cut that out, filed the cut ends. Drilled four large holes for the chassis screws. Bolted it down with short screws for now and will drill some smaller holes being careful to locate the holes in places away from parts and wires. It won't take that many extra screws to hold this down since the four mounting screws will hold it as well.

I picked up some dark mahogany fill strips for my Woodcraft drawer and will fill in the dado slots, which I should have told them not to do. Woodcraft has them made under contract with Susquehanna Valley Woodcrafters, Inc.?

The saga to continue with cab building. :wink:

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Update on the cab progress. Needs more sanding, filling and figure out my finish. Cherry drawer cab with maple valence and will be using mahogany faceplate. Then it can join my other amps.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

gahult wrote:-Mechanical stability seems to affect electronic stability on the Express; KF did a lot of things to help with making the amp stable...
And simultaneously, we see Dana building an Express combo - albeit with 6V6s.

It will be interesting to watch the convergence of these threads.