OK- The Express is Awesome! What should I build now?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Which amp would you build next?

Poll ended at Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 am

Dumble Clone
29%
5E3 Clone
7%
JTM45
21%
Rocket
29%
Liverpool
14%

Total votes: 28

keithrick

OK- The Express is Awesome! What should I build now?

Post by keithrick »

The title says it all. I currently have a AB165 bassman (modded) and my Express. I thought the Express amp build would satisfy my amp lust but it only fueled the fire.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: OK- The Express is Awesome! What should I build now?

Post by LeftyStrat »

Wow, you've got almost the same list as me. I think I might build a 5e3 or 5f1 next, since I have the parts on hand, and I would like to experiement with wrecking the preamp. I like simple amps with no tone controls.

The express is nearing completion, and according to Mark's description of the rocket, it is high on my list.

I've already built a JTM45, but it is a mess right now. I experimented with every possible variation, and now I just need to take it back to where I liked it most. I found I loved the sound of a transitional amp (JTM45 basic circuit, rectifier tube and EL34s). I had it nailing the tone of the Germino Club 40 clips.
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Don't be shy, your vote could decide my next amp build! Power to the people! :roll:

It is funny that the amps I want to build are close to the order of preference I want to build them. JTM45, Dumble Clone, Rocket... But..... I have a ab165 bassman already that I "marshallized" the bass channel and I have already owned a Fuchs ODS mod which is a "Dumble" clone. I am thinking EL84's might sound pretty bitchin'. :twisted:

BTW- I made a clip today but it was 15MB which I realized now :oops: is a little to big. I am making another smaller one when time permits.

Keith
Legin

Post by Legin »

I voted for the Dumble clone forgetting that I have built a 5E3 clone and a P1 eXtreme since the Express :-)

http://kirkby.com.au/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=582
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Legin,
Very nice build! I really need to get a digital camera! My brother built the P1 extreme as his first build. It a cool sounding amp!
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

I am slowly building a JTM45 while doing other amps. So I voted for it.

But the fact that you mention the 5E3 got me curious. Is it THE amp to build as a first F*nder circuit?
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Elcabong,

Yeah a 5E3 is a great circuit. But I would think that any of the Tweed era Fender circuits in particular the Tweed Bassman, Deluxe(5E3) or Champ are great projects for the classic fender sound. The Champ and Bassman being the least and most difficult builds respectively.

You probably already know that you are basically building a Tweed Bassman right now with your JTM45 it is the same basic circuit with some minor differences like the Tubes, speaker and iron. Well mabey there not so minor! :wink: Regardless the JTM45 is a killer circuit.
Legin

Post by Legin »

Well I have done both a '59 Bassman and a 5E3 and both are excellent amps. The Bassman is stock but I tweaked the tone on the 5E3 and seperated out the two channels (details on the previous link), this is a superb amp for home practice as the neigbours don't phone the police and it breaks up beautifully. I built the 5E3 for my young daughter however I play it more than my other amps at the moment. The P1 eXtreme was built as a platform for a KT88 I had so it will get tweaked over the next few weeks I am sure.
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Thanks for the information, guys. It looks like it is going to be on my build list.

Legin, are the specs of the combo cabinet you built available somewhere on the net? Nice results!
Legin

Post by Legin »

Elcabong wrote:Legin, are the specs of the combo cabinet you built available somewhere on the net? Nice results!
Thanks, yes the cabinet plans I got from the net somewhere, I was trying to find the file to send you but I have misplaced it. If I come across it I will send it your way.
Nigel
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

OK- I guess I have to build the Rocket AND the Dumble! :wink: I have already started research on the Dumble Hybrid Rev-A schematic. I also tried to pic up a Bassman Chassis from GC, they didn't like my low ball offer. :roll: