TW-inspired "Marshall" 1987 layout/build complete

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

KGW

TW-inspired "Marshall" 1987 layout/build complete

Post by KGW »

Greetings all. I posted this over on the Metroamp/50W forum, but I thought that the many excellent amp builders at ampgarage would appreciate this.

After building a TW Express clone over the Winter, I was inspired to design a new layout for a 1987. My original version with the standard Marshall layout sounded great but was getting a bit messy from me messing with it (we all like tweaking).

Anyway, the noise floor on this new version is very low. Almost no hum or buzz. I also added bias test points and a 10-turn bias pot with a turns-counting dial (like in the Komet amps). I used 1W carbon film resistors on this version as well. I used 0.5W Vishays in my previous version. Both sound nice. I think that the carbon films sound a bit warmer.

If anyone is interested, I can share my layout files (images).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.alexander

Re: TW-inspired "Marshall" 1987 layout/build compl

Post by m.alexander »

KGW wrote: If anyone is interested, I can share my layout files (images).
Very Nice!! Wonder if you'd be able to share the layout and chassis design with me?

thanks!!!

alexander_mo at hotmail dot com
Marks Amp
KGW

Post by KGW »

m.alexander wrote:
KGW wrote: If anyone is interested, I can share my layout files (images).
Very Nice!! Wonder if you'd be able to share the layout and chassis design with me?

thanks!!!

alexander_mo at hotmail dot com
I sent you some emails - Kevin
m.alexander

Post by m.alexander »

KGW wrote: I sent you some emails - Kevin
Thanks!!!!!!!! 8) Nice work!!!
Marks Amp
wawa

Re: TW-inspired "Marshall" 1987 layout/build complete

Post by wawa »

can you forward me a layout, I'm interested what cans you used for the amp. They look better than the traditional TW caps glues together!
KGW

Post by KGW »

wawa wrote:can you forward me a layout, I'm interested what cans you used for the amp. They look better than the traditional TW caps glues together!
The caps are F&Ts. Nice caps, but a PITA to install the way I did. You'll need a big punch or hole saw of do a lot of filing.

I'll have to look around for the layout. There are more pictures here: http://beggingdogrecords.tripod.com/PPEL34.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I think rockstar over there at the metro forum posted one of his amps he did.Which started as a marshall.
KGW

Post by KGW »

wawa wrote:can you forward me a layout, I'm interested what cans you used for the amp. They look better than the traditional TW caps glues together!
Here are some layout drawings that I found. You may have to move the cap under the PSU/bias board (look at the pix on my website). Also, notice that my newest version has the bias feed resistors on the tube sockets and the raw bias voltage goes there as well.