New AmpGarage forumite, looking for basic info on TW models

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

_gushtone_

New AmpGarage forumite, looking for basic info on TW models

Post by _gushtone_ »

Hey folks,
Just bought my first Trainwreck clone, a sweet looking (and hopefully sweet sounding) Francesca knock-off. I believe it was built by one of your forum members. I was wondering if some of you could throw me a bit of info and/or point me to some good threads that explain/debate/highlight the differences between the various TW models, Express, Liverpool, Rocket (others I am unaware of?). I get the Express 2xEl34 thing and the Liverpool 4xEL84 thing but it pretty much ends there. As to amp tech knowledge, I have very little, but I am a technical guy and a long time computer software engineer, so don't be afraid to speak the jargon. I can make the leap.
For example, are there multiple versions of the Express and Liverpool? Etc.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Peace...
camden_guitarist

Re: New AmpGarage forumite, looking for basic info on TW models

Post by camden_guitarist »

Hi There Gushtone,

I just finished my first Express a month ago and it's a beauty indeed. Trainwrecks are superb amps if you don't want to have too many pedals lying in front of you on stage and still have that sweet clean tingle going to screaming highgain lead with just a turn on a the knob of your guitar.

There are the 3 basic models: Express (2xEL34, ss rectification), Liverpool (4xEL84, ss rectification) and the Rocket (4xEL84, tube rectification) you can go to the trainwreck site for more info and control panel layouts www.trainwreck.com (although I've been having trouble accessing it, does anybody know if the site is offline???)

All 'real' Trainwrecks were build with a 'set' schematic but Ken used to tweak every 'wreck to perfection, hence the fact that they are not all identical.

Well, there's a lot of people on this forum who know a lot more than me, and there's new topics on circuit design,tweaking, etc on here all the time so just keep checking.

Cheers,

Paul.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't remember how long I have been a member here but I can tell you that I have started on thread 90 something or another and worked my way through all the threads no less than four times and infact went back last night for about three hours rereading some stuff on Dumbles.

The search option is a good tool to use as there is so much information here. Also the TW file section has most of everything you asked for.

Mark
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

For the most part, the Liverpool and Express have the same preamp setup. A few different value components, but essentlally the same. Obivously, the power sections are different. Similar operating characteristics wrt clean vs overdrive.

Conversely, the Rocket is a different beast. It's more akin to an AC30.

As mentioned, the search feature is your friend. I too have spent hours on end going through what has been posted.

NOTE: by default it uses boolean or logic. Unlike google, if you are looking for threads that talk about Express Cabinets, you have to type in "Express and Cabinets", including the "and". If you only type in "Express Cabinets", you get all threads that have Express -or- Cabinets. 31 vs 1841 hits.
_gushtone_

Post by _gushtone_ »

Thanks Mark, Paul and gearhead. I will definitely do some more searching. And now that I know it uses bopolean loginc it wil be of some use ;-) I was struggling with it.

Also, I plan to build up an amp or two. any suggestions on good brief and to-the-point resources for how to not kill yourself building amps?

I look forward to exploring the wreck and dumble worlds with a more hands on approach. Also, thanks for the brief model description...

Thanks!
Peace...
sst4270

First Wreck

Post by sst4270 »

Gushtone,

Welcome.

May I suggest (as a starting point) reading threads by "Geetarpicker" aka Glen Kuykendall.
As one of the few members on this forum who owns an orginal Trainwreck Express as well as a couple of clones and frequently posts here, I have found his descriptions particularly helpful in understanding the subtle nuances of the Express. He also has some great videos on youtube that will give you an idea of the tone(s) to expect from your TW.
Glen also has an instrumental CD available recorded "exclusively?" with his Trainwreck.

Also search threads by "Allenmey". He has had access to several Trainwrecks and is one of the authorities on this forum of the various models.

There are several more members/original owners here but that should get you started.

So... from the Trainwreck discussion index: scroll down the right column until you find a particular author such as those I mentioned above. Click on their profile. Then click on "find all posts by [author]"

I have found that method to be more useful for streamlining my search process. As you read through the posts you'll find other members whose posts you may want to read at which point... repeat above steps.

And ++1 on what M Fowler said. A huge cache of very valuable information has been gathered in the files section. You could spend hours just sifting through there.

Good Luck.

Steve