MiniBlues 2 watt Express?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

2thick4uni

MiniBlues 2 watt Express?

Post by 2thick4uni »

Hi all,

I'm new here and just found the 2 watt Miniblues schematic in the files section, I've searched all of the previous posts and can't find any info on it. Has anyone built one and if so, how does it sound?

I've already built a Torres Tinytone marshall and a (much modded) 5E1 champ and I'm just wondering if this is going to give me the famous twreck tone control from the guitar controls as per it's bigger brother. It should certainly solve the problems of the Express being too loud ;-)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the design and any suggestions on mods to the circuit?

Allan
ODwan

Re: MiniBlues 2 watt Express?

Post by ODwan »

Hi!

I build it and did the schemo back in the Yahoo Group days of this forum.
It is based on the BluesExpress from Steve Ahola.
Has gorgeous clean tones and thick overdrive which cleans nicely with guitar volume rolled back. Kinda Liverpoolish with less gain. Did a couple of changes since then.
Can try to update the schemo if you want.

Timo
slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Do you have a few sound clips of the amp? I would be very interested in hearing it.

Cheers,
Stephane.
2thick4uni

Post by 2thick4uni »

Has gorgeous clean tones and thick overdrive which cleans nicely with guitar volume rolled back. Kinda Liverpoolish with less gain. Did a couple of changes since then.
Can try to update the schemo if you want.
Hi Timo, Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

An updated schematic would be highly appreciated :D
Do you have any photos of your build or layout you could post?

I'm in the uk so I'll probably be buying PT and OT from Das Musikding or tubetown.de, I've built a Madamp A15 and I'm in the process of buying a Ceriatone Express kit, so this Blues express 2W would fit in really nicely.

I think a lot of guitarists just dont realise just how loud 1 or 2 watts of tube power can be and how useful these amps are for recording when using them with a good 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cabinet. I sometimes have to use a hot plate attenuator with my 5E1 champ clone to stop the neigbours banging on the walls :o

Allan
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

I have a rough layout but need to convert it to .jpg. Probably tomorrow.
Musikding and Tube-Town are great places to order parts. Also check out www.banzaieffects.com! I actually used a Madamp PT for the amp and a Hammond 125a OT.
I won't be able to record any clips this coming week but will try after that.

So long,

Timo
mss1

MiniBlues?

Post by mss1 »

Hmmm, a MiniBlues sounds like an interesting little amp.

I think I'll convert my 1.5w Firefly, which uses almost all the same major parts, including the 12au7 output. I had already planned to add a tone section, but never got around to it. Now I can Wreck it completely!

It would be nice to see a new addition to the family... Ah, nothing like the smell of solder in the morning and the wails and cries of a new baby Wreck.

At 1.5 watts, the amp is decently loud for a practice/recording amp though short on power for "chunky" bass. I use a 15" BigBen to help...

Using the Firefly Herzog mod you can easily adapt a line-out level from the output section!

I too would love to hear about the recent mods and any clips that can be thrown together!

MSS1
mss1

MiniBlues

Post by mss1 »

ODwan;

Can you also provide the voltages at each stage, in the schematic? I improvised my own supply and I want to ensure I am in sync...

Thanks!

MSS1
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Hi, Folks!

'Tis been a busy week but now I finally had some time to share:
here are the updated schematic along with B+ voltages, an elder layout and a quickshot soundclip.
I stuffed this amp into a Hammond 1444-16 chassis but I think a little bigger would be better.
As with all Trainwrecks the best location to tweak is the RC network after the second stage.
Soundclip was recorded with Strat - Amp (with MASS as a loadbox) - H&K Redbox - PodXT- Computer. No FX added!
Here you go,

Timo

Edit: It seems I can't post anything, will try in the files section
Last edited by ODwan on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MooreCowbelle

Post by MooreCowbelle »

ODwan wrote:Hi, Folks!

'Tis been a busy week but now I finally had some time to share:
here are the updated schematic along with B+ voltages, an elder layout and a quickshot soundclip.
I stuffed this amp into a Hammond 1444-16 chassis but I think a little bigger would be better.
As with all Trainwrecks the best location to tweak is the RC network after the second stage.
Soundclip was recorded with Strat - Amp (with MASS as a loadbox) - H&K Redbox - PodXT- Computer. No FX added!
Here you go,

Timo
where? :?: :(
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2thick4uni

Post by 2thick4uni »

Excellent! I'm definately going to build one now :D

Many thanks for taking the trouble to record the soundclip and draft layout and revised schematic. Definately has a hi gain sound and seems to control well from guitar volume. The schematic changes seem to move the preamp nearer to the Wreck than the blues express schematic now, which is something I was planning to try......

Great thing about this amp is that it can be build very cheaply by anyone with a few spare parts lying around, the total cost of power and output transformers is around 36 euro's and it can fit virtually any chassis size.

Many thanks for sharing this Timo 8)
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

The clip was recorded with all controls dimed on the amp, fat switch not engaged. I'm glad you like it, the aproach of "tinyfying" with a 12AU7 output stage can theoretically be used on any amp. Don't just make the voltages to high.
Your interest in this amp has got me tweaking it again: I think I'll try to lower C5 to 1n5 or so to get the lo end a little cleaner. Damn, this is a never ending story!
BTW, it responds very well to stompboxes, too! With my BSIAB 2 and the mids scooped out at 9 o'clock I get a killer metal sound (think early Metallica)!

Timo
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

The Blues Express schematic evolutions and the articles on it are excellent for learning! The main problem here seemed that the amp was too bright. From what I know now one fault to that lay in the Treble pot being of linear taper, not audio and another in the OT being to low in primary impedance.
One day I#m gonna build a Blues Express and go through all the incarnations. Maybe one with 6V6s would be nice, too!? Again too many options and amps to build, too less money and time!

Timo
mss1

tinytube...

Post by mss1 »

ODwan wrote:The Blues Express schematic evolutions and the articles on it are excellent for learning! The main problem here seemed that the amp was too bright. From what I know now one fault to that lay in the Treble pot being of linear taper, not audio and another in the OT being to low in primary impedance.
One day I#m gonna build a Blues Express and go through all the incarnations. Maybe one with 6V6s would be nice, too!? Again too many options and amps to build, too less money and time!

Timo
Great job ODwan! Which tubes did you have in it, for the sample clip?

MSS
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Which tubes did you have in it, for the sample clip?

MSS
V1= TT12AX7 chinese tube build and labeled for Tube-Town vendor
V2= EH12AX7
V3= JJ12AU7

Timo