Asteroid with diode rectifier and 4.3k output

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Asteroid with diode rectifier and 4.3k output

Post by martin manning »

Notice WZ34 replaces a GZ34, and 68 is two times 34- a dual rectifier replacement. ;^)
deniz

Post by deniz »

deuce42, it is important to notice that the result from an amp is determined by the capacitive properties of a diode or how a certain diode is placed in a certain, the value of the diode matters but the resistive and capacitive properties including the inbuilt or parasitic capacitance of a diode matter a lot as well. These properties are discussed in detail in the datasheets of each particular diode and I’d recommend that you try some diodes with from different companies to see which flavor suits you best.

diseño pcb
Last edited by deniz on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Roe

Post by Roe »

deuce42 wrote:thanks guys. Out of interest, why does the MA rating of the choke need to be so high? -ie 200ma? Wouldn't a twin EL34 amp with 3 preamp tubes need much less than this? Like less than half the MA capacity normally? I ask just for my own learning.
yes, I would need around 75ma
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Tone Lover

Post by Tone Lover »

I would probably stick with the one called for I have a 70 mA choke with resistance of 125ohm and a 200 mA choke with a resistance of 347 ohm same 5 to 8 henry choke I would think that might make a differance in how it sounds. but I will let those more experianced than I chime in .
Bill
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

martin manning wrote:You could also simulate the vacuum rectifier's voltage drop by placing a resistor in series with each silicon diode, say about 100 ohms, 5 or 10W.
Thanks for posting the info on this, I assume this is the same technology that Weber is using in their "Copper Cap" tube rectifier simulators. I always thought a buffered SS rectifier would be a good idea to incorporate into the Rocket amps since good GZ34's are pricey and I'm not convinced they are all that essential if a decent simulator is used. - YMMV
M Fowler wrote:Call Heyboer and order a choke.
...or I have a box full of leftovers here - I put together some Astro parts packages a while back but somehow ended up with lots of leftover chokes. I know I can give you as good of a price as Heyboer would for one-offs.

FWIW, I wouldn't expect the sonic differences to be greatly discernible from a big Fender choke if you have one of those -- in the event you want to save yourself the pain of having something shipped down south.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/