new pacific transformer budget series called "red"

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Vince-

Re: new pacific transformer budget series called "red"

Post by Vince- »

I finally got around to building my express.
It works (pinching myself lol)
No immediate issiues I can find. Runs quiet but I haven't had the opportunity to crank it.
I'm definitely no trainwreck expert so I can't compare these transformers to anything but the run cool and I'm pleased.
I used the higher voltage secondaries and capped off the lowers , for now.
From scouring the wealth of amp garage info, I realize these pacific ots aren't 6.6k and I really.dont know to what degree that changes the sound compared to a real-deal wreck. But i thought I would.share my experience with these new red series iron.
As far as I can tell no one has used them and reported anything as of yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Your build looks really nice, Vince. If it's quiet then I would suggest you check your speaker cable... :lol:

One time a builder that went on to make different amps for Joe Bonamassa made a clone or two of the Express amp. I've looked at one, guts and all, he really did build clones at one time. Anyway, as to impedance, he said that he felt the 6.6K value might have shaped the upper harmonics. He was immediately shut down by a local here but I still think about this idea. If the RED TW OT is actually 7.5K there might be a parallel thought there. No science that I know of, just a thought.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

🤣 um yeah... I'm only at the amp building stage, still so much to learn about speaker jacks lmfao !!
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

I really have only built two wrecks so far, and thanks for the kind words on the build btw. This one , with the 7.5k ot and a hammond ao29 conversion with all inexpensive parts. I did end up upgrading the ot in that with a hammond bassman ot.
Still in honeymoon phase with each amp if I'm going to be honest. No idea how they'd compare to the real thing or a clone with the 6.6k ot..
I did see a hammond 6.6k ot meant for an orange amp. Pretty cheap. The thought crossed my mind that it would be interesting to try it in my hammond build.
Eventually I want to build one with some more accurate iron but kept my budget tight on these.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Vince. I used that Hammond 6.6k OT for my Liverpool build. Sounds great to me.
I have a Pacific 6.6k OT I got From RJ in my Express a few years ago but, the Express never got played because of the volume, so I scrapped it.
I used that OT in KT66 Rocket reverb build. Sounds fine to me

I built an attenuator for my Trainwreck builds, and works well
Good luck
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Awesome, thanks . Good to hear that. The hammond is a great price too . I have another express chassis so ill probably end up using the hammond next time. Ive got the parts on order for a trainwreck (dr z)attenuator . Hoping it works half decently. Normally I would have built in a Lar Mar but I've read of people's disappointment with them in wrecks. It will be nice to A-B the difference between the 7.5k and 6.6.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Interesting note: The 30W TW spec sheet now says 6k6 for the OT.