What speakers sound good with the express?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

doctord02

Re: What speakers sound good with the express?

Post by doctord02 »

I run the Scumback H55 65 watt version and it's perfect for a 1x12 and a wreck - tho I do run a pair of 1x12's with my wreck clones. The H55 is just a skosh dark which mates up nicely with the brightness of a wreck.
DerStever

Post by DerStever »

Can someone tell me if there are any problems - frequency cancellation issues with centering a 1x12 in an open back cab??
kyoungsteadt

Post by kyoungsteadt »

I've used 25 watt Greenbacks, V30's and Classic Lead 80 clone. They all sound good. I agree with Glen that the 25 watt Greenbacks fit the bill the best for a TW.
Roe

Post by Roe »

my ceriatone express is 26w clean. perhaps 40w distorted
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

About 4 months ago I picked up a vintage Marchall 1960A with original Pre-Rola's in it and I have to admit that there is something going on there that I haven't found with other speaker/cab combinations. It rolls off the high end a little but there is still some overtones that I have'nt found elsewhere. Like that hollow woody tone. I'd really like to A/B it with another cab loaded with Heritage G12m's.

I will say that a friend of mine (also a member here) recently picked up a mid 70's cab with 2-G12-75's and 2-AlNiCo JBL's which sounds awesome too. It's louder than my cab and maybe a bit better for clean stuff. He only paid $190 for it too. :shock:
captain_rusty

Post by captain_rusty »

I've got a Ceriatone Liverpool, so not exactly the same beast, but
a) it sounds terrific into my old Fane 60w speakers (I've got two 1x12 cabs) and
b) it's VERY LOUD, even with the half-power (I can't tell the difference) and only one Fane cab :)

If you should stumble onto an old Fane (I bought mine in 1975), grab it :D
Roe

Post by Roe »

I prefer G12H75s for riffing. G12Ms can sound too compressed and thick in a band setting IMO
kyoungsteadt

Post by kyoungsteadt »

I think I would take the V30 or Classic Lead 80 over the 12H75, but that is just me :D
mumford

Post by mumford »

I've been using an open back mesa cab with 1x12 and 4x8 in it-- the highs sound fantastic, and it can get beefy as I turn it up, although it never gets all that beefy. love it.
fingerace

Post by fingerace »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the help....

I still haven't made up my mind. There are so many options!

Thanks again!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Fingerace

The thing to remember with these amps is that they are bright sounding amps. Personally, I don't like open back cabs with Express/Liverpool amps and I do like open cabs with the Rocket (AC-30) style amp.

I found using a quad box increased the bass response and veiled the highs which was a really good thing for me. Your playing style (and amp may dictate otherwise though.)

The best advice is to head down to a few different music stores with your guitar and Ceriatone amp and see what works for you.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jelle

Post by jelle »

I agree with Mark. I tested the Express style amp that I build for a friend using four types of 4x12's with celestions. There were only two cabs that worked for me...Pre rola g12m lead cone and the 1970's g12H with bass cones. I especially liked the g12h's. Badass sound! 8)

The reissue g12m did not work for me. Too bright and lacking tone, not at all like the origs.
The Rocket style amp that I made loved the open back cabs too.

Hope this helps.
Jelle
Roe

Post by Roe »

geetarpicker wrote:One other angle on this. Though the Express circuit is basically a 35 watt amp or so, the output transformer in the Ceriatone version is pretty stout. More like 50 watt Marshall iron. When I ABed my original Express to a Ceriatone the Ceriatone was definately louder. I'd say if my original Express is about 35 watts, the Ceriatone is more like 50...
I'd guess the ceriatone was louder and more efficient because of the 5k2 primary (yours have 6k6)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Roe,

Way louder. Heck the Ceriatone I played seems louder with 6V6s than my original Express is with GT EL34Ms. Yes my original is 6.6k.

The Scumback M75 work well as a modern equivalent for the old Pulsonic cone G12M. I've been using them lately with my pair of clones in my two gigging cabs. 4 of the 25 watt M75s in a straight 4x12, and 1 of the high power versions of the M75 in a sealed 1x12. That single 1x12 really brings down the volume of the Express. I'm able to play most gigs with the 1x12 straight up with no attenuation. The 4x12 usually needs about -4 of attenuation on most of the stages I've been on lately. My clones have 6.6k primarys, and are maybe about 1db louder than my original probably cause the tubes are a little newer.

I recently played a new but very broken in "hand wired" series Marshall slant with one of my clone Express amps. Those cabs sound really nice too, but are definately a little louder because of the G12H 30 watters.

I like the new Heritage G12M 20 watter. However I find once they are pushed passed about 10 watts they have a little fizz and swirl to the high end. That kind of sounds cool on an 18 watt Marshall, but seems a bit messy with an Express. That said I'd like to hear a quad of these sometime.

I think in currently available speakers the Scumback M75 is the "best" Express amp speaker, at least for me.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

I have an Aiken 4X12 loaded with some of the very first Scumback G12H-55 and I mixed in a used pair of the M75. I think I'd like it better with all M75, but as an all purpose 4X12 the sound is GREAT!

I picked up an undersized 2X12 open back that came with Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran 30 (very well broken in) and for cleans the sound is godlike! Very woody tones, rich with the harmonics of the tube distortion. GREAT stuff. But those are some crazy loud speakers that don't sound as sweet when turned up (with the Express).

I also have an Avatar 2X12 open back with the new Green Beret from WGS. They need to be broken in as they are still sounding a bit fizzy on the high end. I tried mixing the Green Beret with the Scumback M75 in the 4X12, and the WGS speakers just overpower the inefficient M75.

As Glen points out, I think the Scumback M75 is a fantastic choice for current production speakers to mix with the Express.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None