2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Abstract

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by Abstract »

This in a 1x12 combo would be sweet.
Brad737

Post by Brad737 »

Dana,
Simply amazing! Any idea when these may be available for sale?
Thanks,
Brad
I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is.
-- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949
soma_hero

Post by soma_hero »

How did you decide where to use Mallorys, ODs, and other film capacitors?

Looks legit!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Brad737 wrote: Dana,
Simply amazing! Any idea when these may be available for sale?
Thanks,
Brad
It will probably be a while before I have any boards for sale. I am trying to finalize the board design and I may go through a couple more before it is over. Nothing major but small stuff like making the speaker jack so you could snap it off and run a seperate small board to the back panel of a chassis. Or I may decide to add a bright switch. Just some small things I want to finalize before going to a final board layout. Maybe this winter.
soma_hero wrote:How did you decide where to use Mallorys, ODs, and other film capacitors?

Looks legit!
That's funny you should ask. I was using up every 250v cap I had in my parts drawers. :lol: I would have liked to have used all ODs but I didn't have enough to go around. Basically I used what I had and found a place that it would fit on the board.
toneman

Boards

Post by toneman »

Please let us know when your ready for a pre order list( to help out on cost) would like a couple my self.
Nigel Tufnel

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

Very cool design man, I think Ken would smile upon such things. 8)
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Duplicate post
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I had a chance yesterday after my weekly Sunday jam session to make some clips of the Lil Devil. I recorded this with a built in mike on a Boss 864 at the spur of the moment so the quality sucks and the room acoustics are a bit over the top but maybe it will give you an idea what the amp sounds like. Since I don't play guitar a coupe of my band mates stayed after our jam and checked out the amp. I think there is enough there that you should be able to hear a few Wreck like qualities. It's funny how this little amp puts a smile on everyones face who tries it. 8) It is just hard to believe all that sound is coming from those pip squeek tubes. The clips were made with a Strat plugged straight into the amp. The amp is plugged into a marshall 4x12 cab with Sammi speakers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
El_Martin

Post by El_Martin »

:shock:
Great!

Ok, another amp to build :?

Ciao
Martin
castor

Post by castor »

Dana,

fantastic work!
really hard to believe that your small new amp sounds in this way!
really something to have in future!

castor
UR12

Post by UR12 »

castor wrote:Dana,

fantastic work!
really hard to believe that your small new amp sounds in this way!
really something to have in future!

castor
Thanks for the kind words. I kind of started this amp as a joke. A friend gave me a couple of these sub mini tubes and I wanted to build a small amp and surprise him. I guess I'm the one who was surprised :oops: now that the amp is actually working. I made a couple more changes this weekend. So far I have departed from the Express original values by lowering the NFB resistor to 33k unstead of 100k. I changed the 150k gain stage grid resistor to 100k and I have changed the values of the PI tail resistors to match the Liverpool. I think the PI was slamming the output tubes a little hard and went with the LP values last night in an attempt to lower the gain of the PI. I'll get to fire it up today and see what the changes sound like. I am also modifying the board to move the pots to the bottom of the board so they will fit in the chassis instead of above it, put the VVR on the board and added an extra control to the board for the VVR. I may find a way to mount the PT in a lay down style (Z axis) to see if I can get everything into a little smaller package. I will be working on a new board (this makes the 3rd prototype board so far) this week and hopefully have everything back up and running to test it by this weekend. If all that is good to go then I'll get the board sent out to have a few prototypes made. These will be limited to 5 or 6 boards as they are expensive. If anyone wants to get in on the ground floor beta testing send me a PM and let me know.
kec

Post by kec »

Thanks for those clips Dana! Sounds real nice.
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man that sounds great! :D

Little tube makes big noise!

I've been following this with great interest and will continue to do so. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I have finished the newest board (Ver3) and hope to test it tonight. I will also post some new pics of the amp. A smaller version of the VVR has been built into the board and I got to test the power supply voltages last night. So far, the VVR is working great controlling the B+ and the bias on the amp. I also hope to get some better clips made of the amp maybe this weekend. If everything works as designed then I will be ready to order prototype boards next week.
kec

Post by kec »

You got me drooling Dana! :lol:
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman