25w resistor

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

oggidog

25w resistor

Post by oggidog »

Hey guys,
My wreck clone took a dive the other day. Turned it up to 12:00 played a little bit and while playing the volume gradually decreased to nothing. All tubes glowing, fuses good. Nothing. Opened her up and noticed that the 25w resistor's connection had broken at one of the turrets.
My question is how hot does this resistor get? I'm planning on doing a quickie fix by resoldering the connection (really not proper as this will be more of a weld) then tie wrapping it and the two large caps is sits next to to the board.
Does this pose a fire hazard?
Thanks
Elcabong

Re: 25w resistor

Post by Elcabong »

We discussed the dissipation of this resistor in a previous thread http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... torder=asc

I have never stuck my finger on the resistor but someone said in that thread that the 25W runs pretty cool.

I would keep it at a reasonnable distance from other parts anyway and would hesitate to use tie wraps on it, maybe just because it is called a "power" resistor. I used an aluminum housed one in my build and it is attached to the chassis with rivets.
oggidog

Re: 25w resistor

Post by oggidog »

Thanks for the reply. After posting I played my guitar through the amp for approx 45 min and flipped the chassis over--- resistor is cool. I going with the tie wraps.