Ampgarage builders

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fierce_carrot

Ampgarage builders

Post by fierce_carrot »

I'm prepared to order a ceriatone Liverpool and thought I'd check out any builders on this site and see what kind of services & prices they have. I'd prefer to buy local (USA) if at all possible. Having built my own GDS 18watter I understand the time invested to build a high quality amp and I don't have a problem with paying more than ceriatone but as with any product, price competition is going to be an issue.

I am looking for a Liverpool with a 1/2 power switch and a PPIMV...but if any builders have suggestions/options such as power scaling I'd be more than willing to hear what everybody has to say.
HiGain

Re: Ampgarage builders

Post by HiGain »

If you are wanting to pay some one to build you an amp, I'm sure there are very good builders here that will produce excellent work.

In fact, not having the time to build much anymore, I ordered a Rocket from a frequent contributer here, Paul Ruby. Check out his site, http://paulrubyamps.com/

I will be posting a review soon, but in a word, he built a GREAT amp at a GREAT price, and was very professional and friendly on top of it all.

Jake
Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster »

Are you going to build it yourself with Cerritone parts or get a complete amp or kit? I used a Cerritone chassis to build my Express and he has great service and products. Just make sure you choose DHL for delivery and not regular mail at it takes weeks to get stuff from Asia via regular mail and only a few days via DHL.
fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

Guitar Adjuster wrote:Are you going to build it yourself with Cerritone parts or get a complete amp or kit? I used a Cerritone chassis to build my Express and he has great service and products. Just make sure you choose DHL for delivery and not regular mail at it takes weeks to get stuff from Asia via regular mail and only a few days via DHL.

I just don't have the time to build an amp these days as the business I own is taking way too much time as it is. Another thing is that I have very little knowledge about trainwrecks other than every clip I have ever heard is incredible. Not only am I looking for someone to build the amp, but to recommend to me any tweaks they might want to incorporate. This amp is going to be used for regular gigging so it's not important to be 100% accurate. It's the tone I crave!
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

Hi,

If you want the amp built for you then just get Nik at Ceriatone to do it. I think it's only a $80 upcharge on the kit. I got mine from Ceriatone, fully assembled and ready to go, just dropped in some tubes and away I went. I am gigging the amp now and I can tell you, it's fabulous.

Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
sobersuds

Post by sobersuds »

Hi,

Paul Ruby put together two amp kits for me. The first one was an Express, and the second one was a Rocket. He was a great help with answering my questions during the building and tweaking process. Both are great amps, although my favourite is still the Express, since I have an ear for the rougher Marshall type sound.

I highly recommend having him build you an amp...it will be top notch.

Regarding tweaks, I found just adjusting the values of the cathode bypass caps on V1 & V2, as well as tube type and brand, made significant differences to the sound of my Express clone. You might want to play with these as a first step in the tweaking phase. Since the build, I have purchased many NOS tubes with my favourite being as follows:

Late 1950's NOS RCA smoked glass 6V6's

- chimey, great rythym and lead tone, my favourite all round tube

NOS Mullard EL34's

- Sharp, hit you in the gut Marshall tone. You can keep turning the volume up and up and up, and they do not get mushy.

NOS Siemens EL34's

- They distort very fast, best lead tone of any tube I have tried.

Good luck with your amp purchase!

Peter