New Rocket build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andresound

New Rocket build

Post by andresound »

Hi Guys,
Been a little quiet here lately, so decided to post my first attempt at a rocket, even though it is not finished.

OT Transformer is NOS "cloth wire" DYNACO 470 from Rj. PT and choke were custom wound for me locally. Parts are from Rj.

Chassis was a gracious donation from Mark Fowler. This man does not know me "from a bar of soap", yet he sent a chassis (and other goodies not available locally), 10 000 mile to sunny South Africa no charge!!! Mark thank you so much!

Managed to assemble the chassis, transformers, sockets etc, today. Did the turret board a week ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
martin manning

Re: New Rocket build

Post by martin manning »

Looking good there Andre, and cheers to Mark for the community spirit too!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Andre,

The Rocket is looking good.

I have been helped by many great people on this Forum so I have no problem paying back.

I am in the planning stage of starting a tube amp club in Fargo, ND area where we will be donating chassis, transformers and parts to build some tone monsters. Clean up week is coming in May so hopefully more organ parts and audio equipment parts will be coming in.

Mark
andresound

Post by andresound »

Still mighty generous of you Mark. This forum and its members ROCK!!!

A question.
280v or 250v secondaries ? I wired up to the 280v last night, but can change if suggested. I have ordered a few VVR boards from Dana for the build, so should be able to tame the volume if needed.
andresound

Post by andresound »

M Fowler wrote:Andre,

The Rocket is looking good.

I have been helped by many great people on this Forum so I have no problem paying back.

I am in the planning stage of starting a tube amp club in Fargo, ND area where we will be donating chassis, transformers and parts to build some tone monsters. Clean up week is coming in May so hopefully more organ parts and audio equipment parts will be coming in.

Mark
FWIW. We do have a problem locally with Silver Mica caps. Unobtainium!!! I placed an order with Just Radios, and half the order didn't arrive. Particularly the silver mica!! I queried, but no joy! Mark, I am not looking for another hand out, so will send some money your way before I order. Thanks anyway. Good luck with the club.

Man I WISH I LIVED over there.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Customs probably read "silver" and then swiped them. :D
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Looks Great Andre, You can probably get everything you need there but it knowing where to look that is the hard part.

Mark, have you been to South Africa? you seem to know the customs routine well haha whenever I send gifts to my family I put a little note inside for the customs/post office guys to keep thier fingers off... seems to work
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

That's looking like its going to come out a great looking build!
What kind of resistors are those? Xicon 1 and 2watt in the tail?
andresound

Post by andresound »

guitarmike2107 wrote:Looks Great Andre, You can probably get everything you need there but it knowing where to look that is the hard part.

Mark, have you been to South Africa? you seem to know the customs routine well haha whenever I send gifts to my family I put a little note inside for the customs/post office guys to keep thier fingers off... seems to work
Thanks guys,
What we normally do to avoid "tampering" with parcels, is put a plastic snake in the package. Scare the shit out of our customs staff!!!

Mike, I have tried all the local suppliers for parts that we typically use. They don't cater for tube, high voltage circuits. If you ask for a resistor value in anything higher than a 1/4 w, they give you the "are you mad" look. RS electronics, in JHB, can get for you, but it is a special order at a premium price!! Better to support the TAG members. Their components are supplied with EXPERT advise.

What is the consensus on voltage tap for the Rocket. Traditional AC30 is a 285-0-285 ?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Can't you use both and fit a switch? I think that's what the Z-wreck and the Komet amps do. They're labelled 'comfort and speed'

Marcus
andresound

Post by andresound »

Thanks Marcus. Sounds like a plan! Will investigate.
andresound

Post by andresound »

RockinRocket wrote:That's looking like its going to come out a great looking build!
What kind of resistors are those? Xicon 1 and 2watt in the tail?
All carbon film. Not sure of brand. Maybe Bob can chime in.
andresound

Post by andresound »

norburybrook wrote:Can't you use both and fit a switch? I think that's what the Z-wreck and the Komet amps do. They're labelled 'comfort and speed'

Marcus
Just thinking about the above. Could be wrong (probably am!). Was that not just a resistor value change on a plate in their preamp?
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Andre, You are thinking about the komet amp fast/slow switch, the rocket one changes the voltage taps.

Cheers
andresound

Post by andresound »

Thanks Mike. Then that sounds like a plan. What switch would you recommend?