Express: Add gain pot and bypass switch for 3rd gain stage

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

roseblood11

Express: Add gain pot and bypass switch for 3rd gain stage

Post by roseblood11 »

Hello,

I need some help - I'm planning an amp, that's not exactly a Trainwreck Express clone, but it will have the same basic topology: Gain stage - Tone stack - gain stage - "cold clipper" gain stage - LTP - PP Power amp

The first two stages and the tonestack will be like the bright channel of a Fender 6g11 Vibrolux, Phase Inverter and Power Amp come from the 6g3 Deluxe (2*6V6 with GZ34 rectifier).
http://tubeamplifierparts.com/layouts/f ... layout.pdf
https://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/lenora_schem.jpg
So the "core" will be a typical Fender Brownface Amp, including the bias tremolo from the 6g3.

But I want to add the third gain stage from the Trainwreck Express, but with an extra gain pot (in front of the grid), and I need the option to bypass this stage (and the pot) with a switch

Has anybody built something similar, maybe just an added switch in a standard Express circuit?
I'm not sure how the switch would have to be wired. Is it possible to do it with only a spdt?
roseblood11

Re: Express: Add gain pot and bypass switch for 3rd gain stage

Post by roseblood11 »

Will this work?
How will V3 influence the sound, when it's not in the signal chain? The grid is always connected...
triode bypass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stiltamp

Re: Express: Add gain pot and bypass switch for 3rd gain stage

Post by stiltamp »

If the grid of V3 becomes positiv due to a high signal peak, then the sound is influenced, because there is a current flow into the grid.
The current flow into the grid causes a voltage drop on the resitors R2 and R3.
If the S1 in the right switch position, the right pin of capacitor C3 is not connected and hangs in the air.
I recommend the modificaton as shown in the schematic as follows to prevent switching noise.
SchematicIdea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.