Transformers back in stock

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Moose

Transformers back in stock

Post by Moose »

OK, I have tranny sets back in stock again.

I apologize for the spam, but I am afraid I didn't respond to everyone I promised I would in email.

As always, just hit my website for specs and an order link.

http://www.toneslut.com

For our European bretheren, does enyone have leads on good winders in the EU? I can't really ship to the EU easily, and the power trannies from Heyboer are 120V only, so it'd be nice to give them some leads. I have been getting a lot of questions from the EU asking for iron and I hate leaving them in the cold.

-Chris
Snapcase

Re: Transformers back in stock

Post by Snapcase »

For our European bretheren, does enyone have leads on good winders in the EU? I can't really ship to the EU easily, and the power trannies from Heyboer are 120V only, so it'd be nice to give them some leads. I have been getting a lot of questions from the EU asking for iron and I hate leaving them in the cold.
It would be cool. The big problem to start building an Express in Europe is getting the irons at a reasonable price. Shipping, taxes and customs always disuades me to start such a project.
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Ingo Gorges aka Shinrock Transformers has a very good reputation here in germany but he is very slow doing all the winding in his spare time beside a regular job. He has delivery times of up to half a year from what I hear.
There also is Lundahl Transformers from sweden.
I will investigate further...

Timo
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

It seems that Loverocker has some connection to a winder in the UK. Maybe he could do something...

Timo
loverocker

Post by loverocker »

ODwan wrote:It seems that Loverocker has some connection to a winder in the UK. Maybe he could do something...

Timo
I've wondered about this, too. But I have to grow the business organically which is why I'm looking at sourcing the parts (inc transformers) for more popular builds than the Wreck. I can't afford to have money sitting around on a shelf.

So for Euro Wreck builders, I can't help for the foreseeable future :(
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
Moose

Post by Moose »

What about power transformers? Something that'll get people 410V like BFDR iron, or mid 300V range with 4xEL84s like AC30 iron? There's no special magic in the power tranny, IMHO. It's just a good transformer with the correct voltage and enough current handling.

I don't know if the europeans would be willing to do it, but global parcel post on the output tranny only probably starts from $25-35 and global air (which is trackable and takes 2 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks) is about $20 more. That puts the actual cost shipped at $100-120US. I do NOT know what happens, taxwise, there, but as long as the euro and pound are strong getting just an OT might be pallatable if they could get a PT locally with a 240V primary that'll get them the right voltage.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Yes, taxes and customs. You have to add a 2,7% import tax over final costs including final price, shipping and insurance if there's any, then add VAT to this ammount, then about anoter 3€ for customs handling, then DUA, a legal form for importers costing 35€ more to be done. And you'll end up with a 255$ OT.
loverocker

Post by loverocker »

Moose wrote:What about power transformers? Something that'll get people 410V like BFDR iron, or mid 300V range with 4xEL84s like AC30 iron? There's no special magic in the power tranny, IMHO. It's just a good transformer with the correct voltage and enough current handling.
True - I guess guys could order an AC30 PT direct from Vox (or its local agent) overe here. I don't know what they charge for one. The other option is to just use the closest match out of Hammond's international 3xx range.

The OT is definitely the one worth splashing out for.
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Yes, you can get suitable PTs here in Europe. Even custom made ones which are more readily available as good OTs.
And then there is always the Hammond line of transformers. Their OTs aren't as bad as everyone says. But they are more of a HiFi type soundwise. Anyway, i've build some good sounding amps with Hammonds!
The Heyboer OTs are only interesting because they are said to carry a good deal of the Trainwreck sound.

Timo