THIS THING LOOK LEGIT TO YOU?!?!?!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mr Matty T

THIS THING LOOK LEGIT TO YOU?!?!?!

Post by Mr Matty T »

recently purchased this in hopes it was legit... Did not pay much for it but all signs point to yes... I am aware that Ken used gutted fender amps in the early to mid 80s before having his own chassis. All help would be appreciated. Thank you. :lol:

Modded Late 70s twin reverb.
EL34s
Altec Speakers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skyboltone

Re: THIS THING LOOK LEGIT TO YOU?!?!?!

Post by skyboltone »

Wow. Looks interesting but I've heard many times that KF never built a combo. What's it sound like? You got pictures of the insides? He was very much the craftsman and it should show. Altec 417-8Cs too. Bright I'll bet.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Gut shots son...gut shots! Is there a signature inside? I thought Ken signed all his work? Are those JBL D120's?!!
Mr Matty T

Post by Mr Matty T »

I havent opened it up yet... Guess that is one way to check... But I wanted to know if anyone has seen something like this... The faceplate or anything similar. Its been in storage since 2000 before I got it. I dont know if people were making clones back then. Also i dont know why someone would make a clone that doesnt even look like his actual amps. This looks nothing like a Trainwreck... SOMEONE HELP!

The speakers are altec 417-8Cs not JBLs by the way.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

I've seen KF modded Fenders before but nothing with the TW logo on them. That doesn't really mean much. Yours could be a one off!

How does it sound? If it's been in storage for that long it may need service. I'd take the chassis out and look for a sig! I think that's the best way to tell if it is a KF modded amp or not!
dayn

Post by dayn »

Climax Prototype?
FYL

Post by FYL »

recently purchased this in hopes it was legit...
Could be, but I don't remember seeing any Trainwreck faceplates on modded amps.

Why don't you ask Aspen Pittman at Groove Tubes ? He worked with Ken on the TW modded amps (most were branded GT/Trainwreck BTW).

[img:588:309]http://www.psychederhythm.com/amp_trainwreckfbm.jpg[/img]

A GT/TW modded Bandmaster sold in Japan.
FYL

Post by FYL »

Are those JBL D120's?!!
Altec 417-8C.
Mr Matty T

Post by Mr Matty T »

I already found out that it is the real deal... It is signed inside. The amp is just called the twin-mod. The faceplate apparently was short lived and was done right before he went to his own chassis and cabs. I found out Lesley West has the same amp as well. I want to thank everyone for your help with this. A truly wonderful community.

Cheers,
Mr Matty T
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well isn't this funny. I've never heard of Trainwreck modded Fenders, even the various stuff Ken Fischer wrote about himself, he never mentioned these amps. He did mention Marshalls that he's modified and winning some contest, but not Fenders.

The Express does have a lot of Marshall type circuits under the covers. I'm inclined to think the Fender thing might not have worked out for him. As someone else pointed out, you could count the number of Trainwreck combo amps with your trousers down!

If nothing else, I've learned something. :)
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Mark wrote: ... you could count the number of Trainwreck combo amps with your trousers down!
12 :?:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
FUCHSAUDIO

Well....

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

drhulsey wrote:
Mark wrote: ... you could count the number of Trainwreck combo amps with your trousers down!
I do have a customer who owns a modded Bassman, that Kenny turned into a Wreck. Removed one tube, put in EL-34's and converted it to an Express basically. Even wrote on the pc board with a pencil, each value and location. It would be interesting to see internal pictures of it, or to have someone check the circuitry out to see what it's all about (raises hand) lol.

Look, I have no reason to think he didn't do a few channel switcher attempts along the way. He reputedly brought a channel switching idea to Everett Hull at Ampeg "in the early 60's", according to the Ampeg book. Since Hull was an old-school clean freak, he turned him down. My concern is how much value to place on some of the stories about Ken's role and true stature at Ampeg.

Example: When I e-mailed Jess Oliver to tell him Ken had passed, he said "Ken who ?, should I know him...?". While he reputedly was one of the finer repair techs and post-production troubleshooters at Ampeg back in the Linden days, I take issue with believing his "genius as a designer" as I do with Dennis Kager. Anyone who could take issue is basically dead.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

drhulsey wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
FYL

Re: Well....

Post by FYL »

I do have a customer who owns a modded Bassman, that Kenny turned into a Wreck.
The first 'Wreck - a 15-watter designed for Casper McCloud in '82 - used a Fender chassis.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Personally, I see it this way, if you make a good product then more often then not you will make a lot of them.

Just because Ken Fischer may have experimented with amps in Fender chassis' doesn't mean these were great amps. Everyone has to start somewhere including Ken Fischer. I would be more inclined to buy an Express without hearing one (money not being an issue of course), than one of the Fender creations. This product is where he has form on the board.

I should point out that I'm not trying to flame or irritate anyone, but we are here to experiment and come to conclusions based on the merit of the circuit rather than the reputation of the builder.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott