2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

waldo

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by waldo »

Cool. I am very interested in this project.

About 6 months agao I bought a half-dozen 6112's and some 6205 pentodes to build a pp low wattage wreckish amp. If I get the darn hospital paid off, I will be able to devert a little cash to my project.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing your progress on this!

waldo
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

UR12 wrote: ... I am looking for a good 5 or 6 inch guitar speaker...
The smallest speaker I have any experience with is the Eminence Beta-8. It has a 2" voice coil 8)
This is another exciting project from the gentleman from West Virginia :D I can't wait to hear it. Keep it comin' :!:
Lonely Raven wrote: VVR? For that thing, he'll have to start working on a Turbo!
You might be surprised how loud 2W can be (especially to a spouse or neighbor). It's only half as loud as a 20W 8)
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Thanks for the kudos everyone! This is my first experience with these little jewels and I have no idea what to expect. (I guess that is why I liike building amps in the first place :lol: ) I have tried to find as much info as I can on the web regarding guitar amp projects that other people have done using the sub minis and if this sounds as good as some of those and retains a little of the TW vibe I will be happy.

drhulsey wrote:
UR12 wrote: ... I am looking for a good 5 or 6 inch guitar speaker...
The smallest speaker I have any experience with is the Eminence Beta-8. It has a 2" voice coil 8)
This is another exciting project from the gentleman from West Virginia :D I can't wait to hear it. Keep it comin' :!:
Lonely Raven wrote: VVR? For that thing, he'll have to start working on a Turbo!
You might be surprised how loud 2W can be (especially to a spouse or neighbor). It's only half as loud as a 20W 8)
Thanks for the tip on the 8". So what did you think about the Eminence? Believe it or not there seems to be quite a few 6" guitar speakers out there. I may have to buy one of each to do a shoot out :lol:

I haven't ruled out putting a VVR in this thing. I left the power supply off of the board to give me some options. I have thought of a switching supply (High freq , no hum and smaller filter caps), a conventional supply and something using a wall wart. Once I get it working I will explore some other options. I might be able to even go a little smaller on the PCB depending on how the layout works. I have some Double sided pcb coming in this week also. Lots of brainstorming to go yet but I can't wait to hear this thing fired up. :twisted:
sst4270

Speaker...

Post by sst4270 »

Dana,

I paired my LiteRail up with a Jensen P8R... It sounded(s) great. My nephew plays it just about every day...Surprisingly loud and able to acheive quite a bit of that singing TW tone. It can also be turned down pretty low.

FWIW...

Regards,

Steve
deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

Dana,

Very cool. I also have some sub miniatures, and have been kicking around similar ideas.
Regarding speakers, I was modeling some smaller speakers in Eminence Designer, and found that a ported Eminence LA6-CBMR shows a pretty decent low end profile, while not being extreme in the top end. It also provides a respectable 97.8db @1W@1M sensitivity.
That's what I'm thinking of trying next. If you want me to share some box plans for that particular driver, I would be happy to. Just let me know.
I have already built a ported box with the Alpha 6A, and it is worked out pretty cool. But the LA6-CBMR is 4.5db hotter, handles 50 more watts, and is lighter. Obviously the wattage handling capabilities are much higher than needed, but I figure that will give you a voice coil that can handle heavily distorted signal without blinking an eye.
Just some thoughts.
BTW, If you make any boards up, I'll buy one from you.

Thanks,

Dave
sst4270

Boards

Post by sst4270 »

+1

I'm interested in a board as well... If they happen.

-SST
kec

Post by kec »

Dana,

I say you do a mini half stack. That would be cool! :lol:

If you need some small caps I know where to get 'em...

[img:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... s/caps.jpg[/img]
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
UR12

Post by UR12 »

kec wrote:Dana,

I say you do a mini half stack. That would be cool! :lol:

If you need some small caps I know where to get 'em...

[img:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... s/caps.jpg[/img]
Thanks man!

The ones I am using are only 250v. I was thinking of doing a 4x 5" slant front marshall style cab :lol:
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

I like the Eminence Beta 8 a lot. It's one of the few 8's with a larger voice coil. I got it for an isolation box project. You won't have too worry about overloading it :D
Eminence might let one across the Big Sandy :lol:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
kec

Post by kec »

Dana,

If this works out and you decide to do a run of boards, put me down for one. This would be a cool project.
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

deiseldave wrote:Regarding speakers, I was modeling some smaller speakers in Eminence Designer, and found that a ported Eminence LA6-CBMR shows a pretty decent low end profile, while not being extreme in the top end. It also provides a respectable 97.8db @1W@1M sensitivity.
That's what I'm thinking of trying next. If you want me to share some box plans for that particular driver, I would be happy to. Just let me know.
I have already built a ported box with the Alpha 6A, and it is worked out pretty cool. But the LA6-CBMR is 4.5db hotter, handles 50 more watts, and is lighter.
Wow ! Disregard all that. I just looked at that speaker again, and see an FS of near 500HZ !! I must have loaded parameters for a different driver in the modeler, or combination of errors. Who knows. Sorry for the error. I will try to make sure I have had at least two cups of coffee next time I post...
cGil

Post by cGil »

Dood! :shock: Way to go Dana! Always up to something interesting. Got me curious to look up the tube data, and was surprised to discover the 6112 has a amplification factor of 70. Hmmm! I've got a ZVex Nano with the 6021s cascaded, and it rawks, but those tubes only have an amplification factor of 35? And a conservative 2w from a pair of 5902s? Heh! The SE Zvex is too loud for the bedroom even with an inefficient Jensen P10R. Your little Express should be a real screamer! :wink:

Gil...
UR12

Post by UR12 »

deiseldave wrote:Wow ! Disregard all that. I just looked at that speaker again, and see an FS of near 500HZ !! I must have loaded parameters for a different driver in the modeler, or combination of errors. Who knows. Sorry for the error. I will try to make sure I have had at least two cups of coffee next time I post...
No Problem......I am thinking maybe 55 - 75 hz to maybe 5k. That shouldn't be a problem for 5 or 6 inch speaker.
deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

Either of the Alpha 6's ported should do that.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

deiseldave wrote:...Regarding speakers, I was modeling some smaller speakers in Eminence Designer, and found that a ported Eminence LA6-CBMR shows a pretty decent low end profile, while not being extreme in the top end. It also provides a respectable 97.8db @1W@1M sensitivity. That's what I'm thinking of trying next.

If you want me to share some box plans for that particular driver, I would be happy to. Just let me know.

I have already built a ported box with the Alpha 6A, and it is worked out pretty cool. But the LA6-CBMR is 4.5db hotter, handles 50 more watts, and is lighter. Obviously the wattage handling capabilities are much higher than needed, but I figure that will give you a voice coil that can handle heavily distorted signal without blinking an eye.
Just some thoughts.
BTW, If you make any boards up, I'll buy one from you.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave I'd love to see those speaker box designs... if you don't mind sharing.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/