Express Combo using 6V6s (Finished)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Express Combo using 6V6s (Finished)

Post by UR12 »

I have a good start on building an Express using 6V6 tubes in a 2x12 Marshall style combo cab. Yea, I know this is blasphemy but I had such great luck with the 15 watt Liverpool combos I thought I would give this a try. So my question is has anyone tried an Express in a combo? How did it work for you? What speakers did you use?

I will try and post some pictures tonight when I get home. The cabinet is tolexed (Marshall Red with Black piping and Bluesbreaker grille cloth) but I still need to put the grille cloth and piping on. I have the components all mounted in the chassis and have started the wiring. I installed the VVR and I am using a couple of trannys from Mojotone. They are both made by Heyboer. The PT is a low voltage modded JTM45 that Mojo carries on the shelf that has a lower voltage 300-0-300 winding. It is a z axis and is a lay down style tranny. Perfect for an Express combo. The OT I got was a Mojotone 769 Fender Bandmaster 6.6k with 4 and 8 ohm taps. I may wire in one of my Pacifics temporarily just to compare the Fender to an original to see how it sounds. I have a few speakers to try, V30s, Greenbacks and 300B50 Sammi’s. I am hoping the V30s may sound good in an open back cab.
Last edited by UR12 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
billyz

Re: Express Combo using 6V6s (Finished)

Post by billyz »

Dana,
I have built several express type combos. they are 1x12 though a 2x12 would be doable as well. I did use 6v6 power tubes. Chassis is hung tubes down. Actually no problems except I ended up shrink wrapping the V1 and selecting for filament rattle.
I am using a Weber Alnico 12, silver, rated 50 watt. Sounds good to me and everyone else. I have also used a Scumback H75 and it sounds good too. I was reluctant to build a small combo as I thought It would have horrible vibration issues, but it is working well, and is my most popular build yet. Also, incorporated your VVR.
the biggest issue I found is the cabinet, getting everything to fit .

I use a one piece semi ported back . Sorrying, I keep sending them off before I get finished pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Interesting...

As I recall early conversations regarding Expresses, both these variations were frowned upon. 1) The Express head cabinet is SO sensitive to vibration that it must be isolated from the speaker cabinet - either set on the floor away from the cabinet or placed on a thick cushion of foam rubber. 2) Not much difference in volume between 6V6 and EL34 implementation but most that tried both didn't care for the tone of the 6V6.

Maybe the span of time will change all these impressions, we'll see. :wink:

If we are indeed now freed of history and and constraints of What-is-Right, I"m going to build my interpretation of What-Might-Have-Been-Next - a Rocket preamp with a twist on the Express power stage (running adjustable fixed bias on a set of KT-66s). I like combos too - I'll have to see how this head sounds running through my donor combo's 2 V-30s. I just wish they weighed less. :cry:
UR12

Post by UR12 »

billyz wrote:Dana,
I have built several express type combos. they are 1x12 though a 2x12 would be doable as well. I did use 6v6 power tubes. Chassis is hung tubes down. Actually no problems except I ended up shrink wrapping the V1 and selecting for filament rattle.
I am using a Weber Alnico 12, silver, rated 50 watt. Sounds good to me and everyone else. I have also used a Scumback H75 and it sounds good too. I was reluctant to build a small combo as I thought It would have horrible vibration issues, but it is working well, and is my most popular build yet. Also, incorporated your VVR.
the biggest issue I found is the cabinet, getting everything to fit .

I use a one piece semi ported back . Sorrying, I keep sending them off before I get finished pics.
Thanks Billy. 8) Thats exactly the info I was looking for. The chassis I am, using is identical to a 18 watt Marshall Chassis, Tubes hung upside down. I get the chassis made local and I punch all the holes. Are you using a stock TW tranny set? I know what you mean about popular as my Liverpool combos seem to go as fast as I can build them. I just wanted to try an Express this time.

Zippy wrote:Interesting...

As I recall early conversations regarding Expresses, both these variations were frowned upon. 1) The Express head cabinet is SO sensitive to vibration that it must be isolated from the speaker cabinet - either set on the floor away from the cabinet or placed on a thick cushion of foam rubber. 2) Not much difference in volume between 6V6 and EL34 implementation but most that tried both didn't care for the tone of the 6V6.

Maybe the span of time will change all these impressions, we'll see. :wink:

If we are indeed now freed of history and and constraints of What-is-Right, I"m going to build my interpretation of What-Might-Have-Been-Next - a Rocket preamp with a twist on the Express power stage (running adjustable fixed bias on a set of KT-66s). I like combos too - I'll have to see how this head sounds running through my donor combo's 2 V-30s. I just wish they weighed less. :cry:
I know the combo thing was frowned upon but like I said above my Liverpool 15 watt combos sound really good and they are sold as fast as I make them. I just get tired of building the same thing all the time and like to experiment. As far as I am concerned the only ears you have to please are your own and if it sounds good to you then that's all that matters. I still get people from time to time that want "What-is-right" but hell, have a little fun and mix it up a little. The only constraints are the ones we put on ourselves :wink:

Oh, and please let me know how the V30 test goes. I am really curious to hear your thoughts on those.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

UR12 wrote:Oh, and please let me know how the V30 test goes. I am really curious to hear your thoughts on those.
Will do.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Dana,
I am using a custom built chassis. .90 AL. And yes, I am using the Toneslut trannies. 6.6k tap ot. I like the big iron , even though the 6v6's don't need it.
I am usually doing what I want not what someone tells me is possible. I have discovered a lot of b.s. that way, ha ha.

Check out Southbays speaker breakin guide too.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6903
UR12

Post by UR12 »

billyz wrote:Dana,
I am using a custom built chassis. .90 AL. And yes, I am using the Toneslut trannies. 6.6k tap ot. I like the big iron , even though the 6v6's don't need it.
I am usually doing what I want not what someone tells me is possible. I have discovered a lot of b.s. that way, ha ha.
Sounds Cool!

I have to agree that there are so many myths and Mojo surounding the Trainwreck amps that it is hard to tell what is real and what is BS. There is a lot of truths out there but there is also a lot of BS. You just got to be careful where you step. :lol:
billyz

Post by billyz »

I did contemplate using some Fender style iron like a Deluxe PT and a Vibrolux OT. It would be cheaper and lighter too. But I had a couple sets of Toneslut trannies so I used them , I can't imagine getting any better tone and feel.
BTW, I am using a 12at7 Phase invertor and I did tweak the PI circuit a bit.
It is fatter sounding to my ears. I really don't care to build amps cheaper only better. Also, I think what really defines an Express is the third stage, the rest is pretty standard fender stuff with a few mods. OK, don't shoot me
8)
UR12

Post by UR12 »

billyz wrote:I did contemplate using some Fender style iron like a Deluxe PT and a Vibrolux OT. It would be cheaper and lighter too. But I had a couple sets of Toneslut trannies so I used them , I can't imagine getting any better tone and feel.
BTW, I am using a 12at7 Phase invertor and I did tweak the PI circuit a bit.
It is fatter sounding to my ears. I really don't care to build amps cheaper only better. Also, I think what really defines an Express is the third stage, the rest is pretty standard fender stuff with a few mods. OK, don't shoot me
8)
Yes, Moose's Trannys are the stuff. The pacifics sound nice too but I like the options that Moose's set give you. I really can't wait to fire this thing up and A/B the Fender OT and the Pacific. That should be interesting. If it sounds like crap then I'll do something else. I won't shoot you but I think there are a couple of things that defines the Express. The Gain Structure is one, OT, the 3rd gain stage and the polyester caps are all part of the sound to me. It's kind of like making chili; a little bit of this and a little bit of that :lol:

I'll get my camera out and see if I can get some pics of this thing. Thanks for sharing your info!
dave g

Post by dave g »

I haven't personally done an Express combo, but I have had good luck using a Heritage G12-65 in a 1x12" enclosure along with a head. I would imagine the Scumback equivalent would be just as good if not better.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Ok, I agree. It is like making chili. I don't make exact clones, would not be as much fun . I have my own recipe, but I do like tasting others.
will be looking for your pics too. BTW, I think you have made a huge contribution to the sport, ie your Can Caps and VVR, to name a few of my favorites.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Ok, I agree. It is like making chili. I don't make exact clones, would not be as much fun . I have my own recipe, but I do like tasting others.
will be looking for your pics too. BTW, I think you have made a huge contribution to the sport, ie your Can Caps and VVR, to name a few of my favorites.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

dave g wrote:I haven't personally done an Express combo, but I have had good luck using a Heritage G12-65 in a 1x12" enclosure along with a head. I would imagine the Scumback equivalent would be just as good if not better.
Is that an open back cabinet or closed?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Here are a few pics of the amp with everything mounted in the chassis. I hope to have it finished this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave g

Post by dave g »

Zippy wrote:
dave g wrote:I haven't personally done an Express combo, but I have had good luck using a Heritage G12-65 in a 1x12" enclosure along with a head. I would imagine the Scumback equivalent would be just as good if not better.
Is that an open back cabinet or closed?
It's got an oval port on the back Dumble-style.