i need SLO pictures to build a clone

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

parodia

i need SLO pictures to build a clone

Post by parodia »

Hi Guys !

Can you help me by sending some pictures of your SLO amp please ...? I get some trouble in connecting the output transformer (hammond 1650T), and I wonder on the right value of the resistor which is just after the bias pot (56k on the revised schematic or 10k on the original one?) I will use a transformer which has the same specifications as the original one (the only difference is the fact it is designed for european voltage )Well, if you have a little time and answers...or if you know another people who have already done it ?
I may be the only woman in France who tries to build herself a tube amp...
Thanks for your time, :wink:
Yours,
Stéphanie (declic38@yahoo.fr)
Elcabong

Re: i need SLO pictures to build a clone

Post by Elcabong »

parodia wrote: I may be the only woman in France who tries to build herself a tube amp...
En effet, probablement!

I do not have a SLO on hand (I wish I had one) but... what is your problem with connecting the 1650T? Can you be more specific? Also, what schematic are you using? Is it the one from SchematicHeavens?

Salutations!
parodia

Post by parodia »

In fact, I don't understand how to connect the transformer to the other elements...I know, what everybody is thinking "yes, I am just a girl...but I try to do my best because I do like tube amps, and decide to build one...but I am not a professional in electronic so...I need your help ! :wink: And I use a schematic which is revised I think...If you have another schematic, that would be cool !
Thank you for your help ! :D
ODwan

Post by ODwan »

Bonjour Madame!
This site has cool amp pics and I think even of an SLO...
http://www.acplink.com
As for transformerconnections:
RED goes to B+
BLUE goes to one parallel pair of tubes
BROWN goes to the other parallel pair of tubes
(beware to have 'em in phase else you will have oscillation because your NFB becomes psotive feedback)
Isolate and stuff away the BLUE/YELLOW and BROWN/YELLOW leads (don't connect them) unless you want ultralinear option which is not used in the SLO.
Try http://www.hammondmfg.com for datasheets, too!
I hope this helps a bit.
I think you're a real rare gem! ...and so many male amp-builders strife to get that "woman-tone"...

Timo
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

I was refering to the schematics here
http://web.archive.org/web/200303280703 ... slo100.pdf

Using the Hammond site http://www.hammondmfg.com/1608.htm as mentionned by ODwan and maybe have a look at the November amp at AX84 which use similar but smaller transfo.

http://ax84.com/media/ax84_m53.pdf

Bonne chance and do not hesitate to ask any questions.
parodia

Post by parodia »

Thanks a lot guys !
Your help is very important for me. If I need more advise, I know where to go..;Thanks again ! :wink:
erigm

Post by erigm »

www.blueguitar.org has quite a few SLO schematics and some technical notes, and is a great resource! Go to the FTP site map. It is easiest to navigate the site that way. Good Luck!
-erigm
parodia

Post by parodia »

Thanks !
Does anybody know a power transformer which would be ok to make a SLO clone ?
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

You will need to calculate the current required for 5 12AX7 and 2 6L6. It needs a supply for the switching too.

Is this your first project? I am asking because I believe the SLO is not a simple amplifier for a first project. It is a high gain, has switching and a PP power amp so there is more possibilities for things to go wrong.
If your long term goal is to learn about amps, you'd be better with a simpler design like the P1 or P1Ex at AX84.com

If you really want to build a SLO, then you should find a ressource close to you who could help if something go wrong.

Anyway, there is a member, Myker, on www.18watt.com who mentionned having a layout for a SLO. I asked him on the thread but had no answer. I will try again.
wrecked

Post by wrecked »

I've got the SLO PCB Layout .pdfs, but the forum software won't allow me to post them... I can e-mail the three files, should anyone want to take a look.

Matt
parodia

Post by parodia »

I already have a pdf with the PCB, but you can send me those files just to check... (declic38@yahoo.fr)
Thanks !
erigm

Post by erigm »

I wouldn't mind seeing those PDF's as well! Could you send them to me?

erigm@hotmail.com

Thanks!
-erigm
Omar

Post by Omar »

wrecked wrote:I've got the SLO PCB Layout .pdfs, but the forum software won't allow me to post them... I can e-mail the three files, should anyone want to take a look.

Matt
Matt - let me know what problem you are having attaching the .pdf's. It should work using the Add an Attachment feature.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

Hello !
I´m new in this forum , it´s real good !!! :wink:

I´m making a Slo too , i have the PCB´s ready and some components are already in place . Is growing very slowly , i´m low in cash ! :(
I already build a 18Watt and i´m finishing a AX84 High Octane too ...

The TWreck amp is very interesting , building one is on my agenda too !

Bye

P.S. Sorry my English ... :oops:
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

Hello again !
I hope i´m not breaking any forum rules for this but , i found several cool discussions on AX84 forum about the SLO , check that out ! Schemes , layouts , chassís , faceplates , is all there !

You can find excellent pics here : http://russoloco.com/images/slo/

Bye ! :wink:
Learning every day ...