Express with 6L6's?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitardude57

Express with 6L6's?

Post by guitardude57 »

How about an Express that can run 34's 6v6 and 6L6. I have trannies, old tubes and parts for a 6L6 build. What do you guys think? Thanx
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed
Roe

Re: Express with 6L6's?

Post by Roe »

I prefer the sound with el34s in an express
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I had an old set of 6L6 that sounded very good in my Express and I prefer 6L6 over EL34's in about any type of amp.

There now I said it. :)
FYL

Post by FYL »

How about an Express that can run 34's 6v6 and 6L6. I have trannies, old tubes and parts for a 6L6 build. What do you guys think? Thanx
Full // 5751 for V1, 6L6GC's or 5881's, 4K OT, screen choke, no frigging diodes across the OT, not a Trainwreck clone anymore but a damn good sounding amp.
redshark

adjustments...

Post by redshark »

I know a typical express can use EL34's or 6V6's. Between the 2 is there any bias change? Is there any impedance change?
Also if I wanted to use old tungsol 5881's is a bias adjustment required? What makes the EL34 and 6V6 similar to be used with minimun adjustments?
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

FYL
The setup you described, what would you compare this sounding like?
What value choke do you recommend?

Don't have any chokes on hand, been building things without them lately.

As my parts stash grows more, I will build a TW Clone next year.

I just feel like building something different from the usual Fen and Mar stuff........... using some 6L6GC's for more umph than the last EL84 and 7189 things. So a TW frontend with 6L6 sounds like fun. Thanx
Mike

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

For each tube change you need to make a bias adjustment no matter if your replacing the same type of tubes 6L6, 5881, 6V6, or EL34. Or KTs

Some amp builders say if you use grade S or #4-5 of same tube manufacturer that they provided with their amp then you don't have to adjust the bias but that is not always the case. So best to do quick check each tube you swap out tubes.
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

Yup, it is easy to take a minute and check the bias..... always a good idea.
Mike

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those 5881 will really make a big difference over the 6L6 and I have an old set I use sparingly.
paulster

Post by paulster »

M Fowler wrote:Those 5881 will really make a big difference over the 6L6 and I have an old set I use sparingly.
+1. My favourite tubes. Haven't tried them in an Express yet, but it sounds like an idea worth trying.
passfan

Post by passfan »

M Fowler wrote:Those 5881 will really make a big difference over the 6L6 and I have an old set I use sparingly.
I am using a pair in a modified Fender deluxe clone that I built and they sound really good. My pre is a NOS GE JAN 12AY and the pi is an old Raytheon 12AU7 lonb plate with the shiny black plate out of an old Baldwin organ. You just can't beat vintage when it comes to tubes.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
FYL

Post by FYL »

The setup you described, what would you compare this sounding like?
Wreckish touch sensitivity, sounding halfway between a tight early Marshall and a good blackface.
What value choke do you recommend?

4 or 5H, 60 to 80 mA, 100R app. Pretty standard.
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

Well my experimenters chassis has been altered for another circuit again.
Did the Express set up with the 7189's first. I got decent results even though my parts bins are low, and used funky valued pots.

Recently got down to Harbor Freight, and picked up some Step-bits to make a couple of the nine pin socket holes big enough to use big bottles. In went the octals, and a couple of 6L6'5881 Soldano tubes from my last SLO tube replacement. I thought "If I wire this up to use either the 6L6's or the 7189's would be interesting".

The 7189's were Cathode Biased, so decided to do the same with the 6L6's. Of course each type of tube shares parallel plates, B+, screen supply and grids.
Each pair has their own screen resistors, cathode R's and bypasses.

Now can run either set of tubes with great results! A little hum related to V1 due to no board..... all hooked up PTP with a few Terminal strips and sockets.

After 30 hours with the 6L6's no probs and loud as hell!

Will post pix soon.
Mike

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

guitardude57

Interesting project right up my alley with PTP construction. Look forward to pictures.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Even I am getting tired of hearing myself ask but... any clips?

I think 6L6's are very cool tubes but they have never been a serious player in the Trainwreck games. I can see no harm if it turns out they will do something cool in a Wreck situation.

I'm also curious about voltages. You mentioned something about 5881's and I was wondering if you kept the voltage down... did you stick with the traditional Wreck B+ and dropping string etc. or something else?

Thanks

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/