AC30 MM Woden OT install

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

AC30 MM Woden OT install

Post by jaysg »

Does anyone know why this OT comes with formvar coated dual wires for Black(GND) and Yellow(15 Ohms)? If it's some sort of true-to-vintage, I don't really appreciate the extra effort.
---------------
Anyway, for anyone looking at this into an AC30CC1/2, PSA starts:

You will have to drill 3 holes in steel. There isn't much clearance, so even if you have a drill press, you'll have to use a hand drill for 2 of them.

All the little nasty screws are metric: 4mm x 30mm x 0.70mm pitch. They could be shorter. This amp is in good shape overall, but I had to run a tap through all the press-nuts and T-nuts.
Masco

Re: AC30 MM Woden OT install

Post by Masco »

Have no idea why MM did that. Maybe too lazy to connect internal leads? It's not true to the original Woden OTs used in the AC-30s. I've installed many of those MM Woden clones and always thought it was a PITA. Their Haddon clones do not have those, they're normal.
cap217

Post by cap217 »

Masco wrote:Have no idea why MM did that. Maybe too lazy to connect internal leads? It's not true to the original Woden OTs used in the AC-30s. I've installed many of those MM Woden clones and always thought it was a PITA. Their Haddon clones do not have those, they're normal.
Since you used both Woden and Haddon MM.... Whats the verdict? I had a Woden but didnt get to really mess with the amp much. I never tried the Haddon.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

It's my understanding that the Woden is the biggest seller for MM in AC30 OTs. This isn't my amp, so I'll only be able to hear it for a few minutes.

[edit] It sounded pretty good to me and the guy is very happy with it, so all's well that ends well.
Last edited by jaysg on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masco

Post by Masco »

cap217 wrote:
Masco wrote:Have no idea why MM did that. Maybe too lazy to connect internal leads? It's not true to the original Woden OTs used in the AC-30s. I've installed many of those MM Woden clones and always thought it was a PITA. Their Haddon clones do not have those, they're normal.
Since you used both Woden and Haddon MM.... Whats the verdict? I had a Woden but didnt get to really mess with the amp much. I never tried the Haddon.
Cannot hear a difference whatsoever between the two MM's in my AC-30 type builds. I'll put it this way, you'll hear more of a difference in tones between vintage AC-30's equipped w/ like Wodens and Haddons. (ie real vintage Woden vs. Woden and Haddon vs. Haddon)
Masco

Post by Masco »

jaysg wrote:It's my understanding that the Woden is the biggest seller for MM in AC30 OTs. This isn't my amp, so I'll only be able to hear it for a few minutes.
Probably because Wodens were used more in AC-30s during the classic period '62 - '65.
Oddly enough, I wouldn't doubt that MM's Radio Spares surplus clone OT in their AC-30 line was second. Barely any RS OT's were used in original AC-30s compared to the rest (Haddon, Woden, Albion, Parmeko etc...). Just a few of the earliest AC-30s, not the most classic era IMO. Hype?