1 x 12 speaker for Ceriatone OTS Modern Eagle

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Newcroftvalves

1 x 12 speaker for Ceriatone OTS Modern Eagle

Post by Newcroftvalves »

Hi there,

I just finished building my second Ceriatone OTS, this time a 50watt Modern Eagle.

I decided to make this one a combo with a 12" speaker as I already had a spare Vintage 30 available.

Having built it, I find the Vintage 30 really spiky and gritty, not fun to play.

I've been looking at the WGS speakers and their ET65 is supposed to be an alternative to the Celestion G12-65 that everyone suggests for these amps.

Does any have experience using an ET65 with the OTS?

Does it have that smoothness I'm looking for?

Any suggestions welcome.
Attachments
OTS Front.png
OTS Back.png
OTS Panel.png
Geeze

Re: 1 x 12 speaker for Ceriatone OTS Modern Eagle

Post by Geeze »

I have not used either of those speakers. There are a number of speaker shootouts - I like the ones that Rivera does. A minimum of yak and they play the same chord progression and then a riff for each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

I don't know if they test the WGS speaker.

Russ
Newcroftvalves

Post by Newcroftvalves »

No WGS but they do test an Eminence Tonker which is another option.

Thanks
Chuck Millen

Post by Chuck Millen »

Just stuffed a pair of ET65's in a "D" Style (2Rock) cab. Driving them with a Fuchs ODS Mod (80 watts). Very happy with the outcome. No pickup or dropoff after break in time elasped. Can only compare to my single EVM cab, same style. EV is flat with a bigger bottom. ET's a tad brighter while staying clean a long way into the volume knob.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I've heard nothing but good about the WGS ET65.

Not cheap but cheaper than the Celestian.

Also, Eminence came out with a EV 12L clone.

Around $150 compared to the real deal at $250.

http://www.usspeaker.com/legend%20em12-1.htm
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Newcroftvalves

Post by Newcroftvalves »

Thanks guys, I think that's convinced me to try the ET65. :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have a pair of WGS ET-65 in a Dumble Style 212 cab, excellent speakers.
blinddog

Post by blinddog »

So is WGS making a EVL copy too?? This looks a lot like it. What do you guys think?

http://wgs4.com/12-wgs12l-200-watts
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Sure looks like they are making a EVM12L type.
rooster

Post by rooster »

I say listen to a WGS Reaper HP50. The ET65 has been presented as a speaker to fix an overly bright amp, which is a different definition of the original Celestion G65. BTW, MF sells the WGS brand now with free shipping and a better return time.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
jazzbass

WGS louspeakers for a DIY Traiwreck Express and Rocket

Post by jazzbass »

rooster wrote:I say listen to a WGS Reaper HP50. The ET65 has been presented as a speaker to fix an overly bright amp, which is a different definition of the original Celestion G65. BTW, MF sells the WGS brand now with free shipping and a better return time.
franco mezzalira
rooster

Post by rooster »

Hm, OK, let me bleed all over my WGS suggestion. :oops:

I bought that Reaper from MF. It arrived quickly and was well packed. I ordered a 16 ohm version to pair with a Weber alnico silver bell. I was hoping for a quality Celestion clone and - after watching 20 YouTube videos - decided the Reaper was the best of the WGS fare for my needs. It's $10 more than the ET65, FWIW.

OK, out of the box it was very stiff. The battery test presented a voice coil that was not exactly centered on the magnet, but I moved forward anyway, wanting to hear one of these speakers in person. I put it on my variac, 12VAC, and left the house. When I left things were good, it sounded like a typical variac induced speaker break in. However, I returned within 2 hours and the speaker was buzzing badly. Upon inspection there was a 2" area where the cone was not glued properly on the basket edge.

So I turned things off, called MF, and mailed the speaker back. MF was great, asked me if I wanted to try another one and I said 'no thanks'.

I realize there are many of you here and on other forums who are happy with the WGS product. I sincerely wish my experience was yours. I may try or run into another one in the future, time will tell. I definitely like the price, as well as the overall looks of the product.
danotron

Post by danotron »

I found the ET65 a bit dead sounding. Would be great to tame a bright amp. I really like the Eminence Red, White and Blues....but nothing beats the good old G12-65. I find the ET65 and G12-65 and NOT the same.
The Blues is my Business....
and Business is good.....
rooster

Post by rooster »

To echo danotron's words, a friend came over with an 18 X 18.1/2 X 14 cab with a 3/4 back (1/4 open) laoded with a real deal G1265 and virtually crapped all over my Webers (Alnico Blue, Alnico Silver, Blue Dog ceramic), my Scumnico Alnico 75 watter (Black Frame), my ASW KTS70 (built into a Celestion creme back basket), a vintage UK Celestion V30, and my Weber rebuilt Jenson C12Ns. All of these were plugged into his Bludotone and Brownnote (built by Brownnote) Dumble clones. It was just amazing how good this single speaker sounded. I was blown away. The only thing that could compare to it was an EV15L - and this was just plainly too loud for an indoor gig.
randyleach

Post by randyleach »

i have a ceriatone OTS50 and have a few speakers in the studio. currently using a JBL E120 and a Celestion Vintage 30, each in their own small,open back cab. the combo is awesome.