cabinet construction

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TUBEDUDE

cabinet construction

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Anyone else build a Bill Fitzmaurice designed cabinet?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Geeze

Re: cabinet construction

Post by Geeze »

I've built some similar - not to the 20° that he touts - actually built one 90° [out, not in] more to mash two speakers into the smallest space.

What led you to his designs - what are you looking to get?

Off hand I'd say build his design or do your version and let us know how it sounds.

Russ
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I got his book 10 years ago and built the siamese bass cabinet with a EV BX-15. I was impressed with the design, quite elegant. I added a crossover and mounted a ribbon transducer on the front. It handles my 6 String fretless with ease. I drove it with a 200 watt tube amp and a 500 watt class D, both with excellent results. I just recently found his website, and saw he has been busy. I'm thinking of building a Jack lite 15. Just to get efficient low bass that's smaller and lighter. I built a cab for guitar based on the detuned cabinet philosophy championed by Kevin O'Conner, but haven't built a Fitzmaurice guitar cabinet. With the Jack lite 15, the added HF horn, or piezos it could double as a guitar cabinet also.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Well, I couldn't resist, I built the Jack15 Lite. It is the best bass cab I've heard. I used an Eminence Kappa 3015 neomag. The cab is constructed with intensive bracing, allowing it to be made with 1/8" Birch. The completed cab with the speaker is less than 36 lbs. and still performs better than my other folded horn that weighs in at 52 lbs. I get all the highs I need so no compression driver or piezos needed.
Attachments
1422055116554.jpg