HAD is alive and well and policing ebay....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drz400

Re: HAD is alive and well and policing ebay....

Post by drz400 »

Structo wrote:
fullerplast wrote: Don't blame HAD. He is obligated to protect his trademarks or else lose them. Use of his name for keyword association to inferior products dilute the value of his name.
Do you know for a fact that his name is trademarked or copyrighted?
You stated trademarks, as in plural.
What other item of his is copyrighted.
I thought Randall Smith patented everything under the sun. :lol: :lol:

Word Mark DUMBLE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: ELECTRICAL APPARATII FOR USE WITH GUITARS AND OTHER PURPOSES-NAMELY AMPLIFIERS, LOUDSPEAKERS, PREAMPLIFIERS, POWER AMPLIFIERS, SIGNAL PROCESSING AMPLIFIERS, AND REVERBERATION UNITS; AND COMPONENTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR SUCH ELECTRICAL APPARATII-NAMELY, AMPLIFIER CORDS, FOOT PEDAL CONTROLS, SWITCHES, TRANSFORMERS, AMPLIFIER COVERS, AMPLIFIER VOLUME AND TONE CONTROLS, AND SPEAKER CABINETS. FIRST USE: 19650000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19690000
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 76542950
Filing Date June 12, 2003
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition September 21, 2004
Registration Number 2909913
Registration Date December 14, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) Dumble, Howard Alexander INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES c/o 6242 Marmion Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90042
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Mark Image
Word Mark DUMBLE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: ELECTRICAL APPARATUS FOR USE WITH GUITARS AND OTHER SERVICES PURPOSES - NAMELY AMPLIFIERS, LOUDSPEAKERS, AND COMPONENTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR SUCH ELECTRICAL APPARATUS-NAMELY, AMPLIFIER CORDS, FOOT PEDAL CONTROLS, AMPLIFIER COVERS, AMPLIFIER VOLUME AND TONE CONTROLS, AND SPEAKER CABINETS. FIRST USE: 19650000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19690000

IC 015. US 002 021 036. G & S: MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS - NAMELY ELECTRIC GUITARS, AND COMPONENTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR GUITARS - NAMELY NECKS, HEADS, BODIES, PICKUPS, PICKUP COVERS, PICKGUARDS, AND CUSTOM FINISHES. FIRST USE: 19650000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19670000
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 76366099
Filing Date February 4, 2002
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition July 20, 2004
Registration Number 2892356
Registration Date October 12, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) Dumble, Howard Alexander INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES c/o 6242 Marmion Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90042
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Last edited by drz400 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

He also has to USE the mark on goods for sale, to keep it strong and active.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

It's all in the way it's written
e.g.Read both text's bvelow and see if they mean the same thing.

1) NO TRESPASSING
NO SWIMMING ALLOWED

2) NO TRESPASSING?
NO!SWIMMING ALLOWED

Howard should be glad that cloning has artificially inflated the value of his amps.
Crystal latice or vacuum,that is the question.
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

Maybe he will finally release an affordable product for sale. Should be a no-brainer at this point. Think of the possibilities. Even a commercial product would generate more $ than trying to make every one himself for $KKKKKKKK ea. .
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

He never sold them for huge prices.It's the celebrity players that drove the prices of used dumbles up so high.
Bludotone and Fuchs sells for more than dumble ever did.
He was and is a very smart man.It's a shame he didn't patent the circuit as well as the name.
Tdale

What about real dumbles?

Post by Tdale »

I read somewhere that when you bought a Dumble, you signed a contract, saying that you can never sell your Dumble.. So I guess if you put your real Dumble out on eBay, and use the Dumble name, that would be wrong too....:)

Tommy
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Here's a copy of an order form with security agreement on page 4.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Not even close to true..... Twenty years ago, Dumbles were over $5000. He even did away with the standard ordering and you could only get the two expeditited prices. In twenty years ago dollars, how is $5000 less than a $3500 Fuchs or Bludo (in 2009 dollars)?

In 1990, $5000, is the same as $8238 2009 dollars!

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
phsyconoodler wrote:He never sold them for huge prices.It's the celebrity players that drove the prices of used dumbles up so high.
Bludotone and Fuchs sells for more than dumble ever did.
He was and is a very smart man.It's a shame he didn't patent the circuit as well as the name.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Sonny ReVerb wrote:Here's a copy of an order form with security agreement on page 4.
Well, nothing special there. Next time you install a package of Microsoft SW or any other piece of SW, read the general terms and conditions , and you will find something much more restrictive than Mr. A. Dumble's old papers, with more or less primitive juridical fomulations, not unusual for a one-man business, trying to do it all, alone.

In addition to this, remember that the paper work stem for a time long before the internet, and off course he didn't foresee how ridiculous this would seen by todays standards and with our ability to communicate - would we (people on this forum) be communicating sharing info back in the 80s? - probably not.

The Ebay communication clearly indicate a frustrated person, who can no longer control his intellectual rights.

It must be tough to be the creater of designs, that have reached a tremendous success, and not being able to profit from this success.

We should put this subject to rest and pay our respect for the mans geniusity instead. :wink:
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

5 grand is a long way from 25,000 bucks that some Dumbles go for these days.
He did not start selling at 5 grand until celebrity players were willing to pay those prices.He was a smart man,I'll give him that.
Structo

Post by Structo »

It seems I remember reading about HAD and going commercial with his designs.
I can't remember the company but it was like he didn't like the way it was going or he didn't have enough control over the product so he pulled out.

I think he is possibly a real recluse and I figured he is 64 or 67 now.

All he would have to do is hire a handful of trustful employees and crank out a few amps a month.
He could name his price and it would bring the prices of his old amps down to more of a realistic price point.

But I don't know him or what he wants or feels.
Someone said he makes black powder guns and knives these days.

I wonder how much he works on amps now?

But to just sit inside a house and be bitter and not do anything about the amps or constantly monitor ebay for the D word seems a bit sick.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
JImmyD

Post by JImmyD »

What is HAD's email addy? I'm heading to the coast for a bit and maybe I could buy him a beer or two.

Jim
drz400

Post by drz400 »

Structo wrote:Just call it a Bumble. :D

Can somebody hand me a Kleenex? Oooops, I mean a paper tissue.
Hey like 15 years ago I turned a boogie in to a dumble and called it a Bumble :lol:
BlackIrish

Post by BlackIrish »

III
turn it all up