Gil Ayan tone cut control for non HRM amps.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

greiswig

Re: Gil Ayan tone cut control for non HRM amps.

Post by greiswig »

glasman wrote:You may find the .002uf a tad big even with a 1Meg control. I tried this a long time ago and settled on a .001 and 1Meg.

Gary
My preference as well. Every circuit is different, but it's nice when there's convergent evolution.
-g
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

"dogears"I think you may be mistaken.
No I'm NOT!
Scott you know that I just love experimenting and I have plenty of time to do that! I’ve tried 200,500k and 1 meg pots with many different caps, obviously values higher than 500pf. They all reduce high mids as well especially 0.01uf and higher. It ruins the TONE!!! (for me).
With a normal pot you may not hear degrading effect but if you use a pot with on/off switch you will immediately hear the effect, effect will be more pronounced with a lower value pot.

Try my way with 0, 100, 220, 330 and 470pf, it might surprise you my friend. :lol:
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

"martin manning" Where is the "post drive" trimmer?
Probably my bad English Martin. :oops:

I meant “bypasses 220k resistor after OD trimmer” ! One can bypass OD trimmer as well to have ultra high gain if desired. :shock:
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

After thinking about it some more I began to suspect that that is what you meant. It is often very difficult to explain such things exactly using just words, even in one's own native language. I might have said (in my best Dumble-ese): "...bypassing the 220k feeding the OD entrance trimmer." I'm very interested in trying these ideas out, so thanks once again for posting.
dogears

Post by dogears »

I think we agree.

All I am saying is that you lose more volume your way given same size caps. Obviously a small pf cap will not lose any gain in the upper mids. However, if you select a .001 or .002 on your dial, you will lose a ton more volume than if you made the whole thing adjustable from ground wit a 500K or 1M pot.

So, yeah, we agree. Small caps lose less noticeable volume and gain. However, raisng those caps from ground loses even less.

Your idea is cool and not unlike using big loop cables (except that affects the clean as well)
ericlee wrote:
"dogears"I think you may be mistaken.
No I'm NOT!
Scott you know that I just love experimenting and I have plenty of time to do that! I’ve tried 200,500k and 1 meg pots with many different caps, obviously values higher than 500pf. They all reduce high mids as well especially 0.01uf and higher. It ruins the TONE!!! (for me).
With a normal pot you may not hear degrading effect but if you use a pot with on/off switch you will immediately hear the effect, effect will be more pronounced with a lower value pot.

Try my way with 0, 100, 220, 330 and 470pf, it might surprise you my friend. :lol:
Structo

Post by Structo »

ericlee wrote:I’ve published a better solution while ago on the Ceriatone forum where some members used and loved it. This circuit does not cut the high mids and overall tone characteristics of the amp as RC filter does. It affects only high frequencies without any volume change.
[img:749:569]http://www.drika.biz/hicut.JPG[/img]

and here is a pic by Bryan aka Sonicmojo
[img:764:671]http://www.suthard.com/ceriatone/highcut1.JPG[/img]

Try it! You will LOVE it!
I'm having trouble in seeing the way it is wired.
On the diagram you have the common end of the caps connected to the top of the Ratio pot.
But in the picture it looks like the common soldered ends of the caps is connected to ground via the brown wire.

Although it may just be the way the photo looks since the depth preception is off in 2D.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

Tom,

Photo is not mine. Somebody published it after my suggestion. But obviously it does not matter which side of the capacitor is connected to the ground terminal or hot. :)
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

"dogears"I think we agree.
Ma Man, we always agree!

Let me clarify couple of things here. We agree that two dollars are better than one! That was an idea when I first modified Gil’s circuit, I’ve opened 1 meg pot and scratched a resistive track in the middle position – splitted the pot in two 500k pot with OFF in mid position. Than used two caps on each side – 1000pf and 0,01uf as shown on the diagram.
The 0.01 side, even on 250k position was messing up the tone.

Buy the way 1 meg split pot works great as a guitar tone pot with 0.01 and 0.001uf on each side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Cool pic of my crazy cap nest! I'm just getting into the mods and have just done the one Ceriatone amp and this simple mod so i won't try to dive too much into the tech discussion here yet. FWIW, I don't notice volume changes and I only typically switch it when I change guitars. Since i posted the pic, I did cut the 2200 cap so I have the bypass position.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

sonicmojo wrote:I don't notice volume changes and I only typically switch it when I change guitars. Since i posted the pic, I did cut the 2200 cap so I have the bypass position.
Hi,
do I understand you right, that its a useful tool when you like change the guitars?
I also recogniced the "problem" changing let`s say humbucker to singlecoil.
Sounds cool.
Hans-Jörg
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

glasman wrote:
You may find the .002uf a tad big even with a 1Meg control. I tried this a long time ago and settled on a .001 and 1Meg.

Gary
Ditto
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
ayan

Post by ayan »

Scott,

I'm actually amazed at how fond of yourself you come across to me in some of your posts, my friend. Right out of the gate, the choice of speaker alone may crush your statement entirely. "Not open for discussion, it is silly to not agree with me." How does that sound? :) It sounds small, doesn't it?

Gil

dogears wrote:Guys, hate to be a broken record but a 250K pot is too small. This is not open for discussion as with the pot set for full bright, you still have a ton of "bleed". You could use a 100K resistor to lift ground so that you better better range.

However, my choice is a 500K or 1M pot. No change on max bleed, but you get to take the treble bleed more out of circuit. My amp has a switch pot where I can click it out of circuit. There is a very noticeable difference when I am out of circuit versus the 1 Meg max resistance of the pot! Proves the point......

It is silly to not use at least a 500K. No change to the tone control except you can take it more out of circuit.

Mark wrote:I had a go at this tone control today. I find the control isn't necessary for guitars like Les Paul's, however some PRS', Strat's, Tele's, Danelectro's will probably require this control.

The cut control is a 1000pF cap in series with a 250K pot. You'll notice the difference in tone straight away. I put a switch in series with the tone control, to tell the difference in a way I'd find meaningful.

I found it removed some upper frequencies as well as lower the level of the signal from the second overdrive stage.

The effect of the tone control doesn't change the tone like a guitars tone control would. In fact I tried a 2200pF cap instead of the 1000pF, I found I had greater control over the high frequencies, but the tone was bland and no longer exciting.

Stick with Gil's circuit values, or go with the HRM.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

hans-jörg wrote:
sonicmojo wrote:I don't notice volume changes and I only typically switch it when I change guitars. Since i posted the pic, I did cut the 2200 cap so I have the bypass position.
Hi,
do I understand you right, that its a useful tool when you like change the guitars?
I also recogniced the "problem" changing let`s say humbucker to singlecoil.
Sounds cool.
Hans-Jörg

Exactly. I typically feel the urge to go up a few notches to about 320-470pf with my Stratosonic with Lollar P90s. Sometimes more depending on my other regular Strats. I bypass with a PRS SE or SG Special with humbuckers.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

ericlee wrote:
"dogears"I think we agree.
Ma Man, we always agree!

Let me clarify couple of things here. We agree that two dollars are better than one! That was an idea when I first modified Gil’s circuit, I’ve opened 1 meg pot and scratched a resistive track in the middle position – splitted the pot in two 500k pot with OFF in mid position. Than used two caps on each side – 1000pf and 0,01uf as shown on the diagram.
The 0.01 side, even on 250k position was messing up the tone.

Buy the way 1 meg split pot works great as a guitar tone pot with 0.01 and 0.001uf on each side.
That is some creative thinking. I Like it! I can't imagine .01 would be good for anything. I do think some values smaller than .001 might be useful though. since my non HRM is open at the moment, i will try clipping some values in (simulating your rotary switch) and see what happens.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

Thank you kind Sir.
Good luck with tweaking, hope you enjoy the result 8)