Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sergio

Re: Heyboer Pricing.

Post by sergio »

David Root wrote:Heyboer quoted me

5 pcs @ $ 90.00 each
2 pcs @ $ 105.00 each
1 pc @ $ 118.00 each

Delivery approx 2 to 3 weeks after ordered.
I have received not much time ago a quote for a custom PT with the same specific (but without wiring for relays) from Alden from Heyboer and price was 140$ + 48$ for expedition! 188$ Tot.
long live the honest!!!
David Root

Re: 183 Build Report

Post by David Root »

Sergio, I still have one left! $90 plus shipping. I'm not looking to make money on this deal, just save money by buying more than one.

Update, four now committed, one still looking for a good home!
sergio

Post by sergio »

Ok , but 118$ Vs 140$ it's a noticeable difference for one single piece!!!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

sergio wrote:Ok , but 118$ Vs 140$ it's a noticeable difference for one single piece!!!
Sergio in all fairness;I deal with Heyboer frequently and eventhough my normal single piece price is around what David was quoted, I have been quoted and paid $135-140 for a custom Twin form factor transformer before.

The question you have to ask yourself is this, how many other companies allow you to directly place an order for only one piece that has to be setup and wound and can possibly be shipped in less than two weeks? If you need something that's not on the shelf, then $140 is still a bargin. It's no accident that 1000's of folks build amplifiers, but few actually wind their own transformers.

And $22 is how much of the total cost to "clone" one of these types of amplifiers? :)

Mike
David Root

GE short plate 12AX7WA

Post by David Root »

Scott, is this the right one? Kinda looks like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogears

Re: GE short plate 12AX7WA

Post by dogears »

That's it. Make sure they are strong. I'd say 2200 or more on that Hickock 600/6000. Look's like Lori (Greengirl) is the seller? Looks like her type of photo. She is reputable.

David Root wrote:Scott, is this the right one? Kinda looks like it.
David Root

Post by David Root »

That's right Scott, it is one of hers. I have bought quite a few of her preamp tubes and only one was marginal, not an expensive one either.
You can't miss that bamboo curtain backdrop!
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

David PM sent.
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Yessiree! I just loaded 4 Tesla blue tint EL34 tubes from the mid 80s in mine. Very very nice.

Got them from Terry Kilgore.

Highly recommend. These sound better than the JJ E34L, JJ 6CA7, Winged C, Tung Sol New Sensor EL34, Ruby Chinese EL34, and the Siemens EL34. Similar to Mullard XF2.
Here is a link with a very bad experience with Terry Kilgore. Has anyone else dealt with him? It appears Dogears is happy, but I am wondering if he gets 'special' treatment. Meaning Terry won't risk ripping him off because of his name.

Doh! Here is the link http://www.jeangodbout.com/terry-kilgore-scam.html
Last edited by vibratoking on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

what link?
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I know I'm resurrecting an old topic here, but I'm still amazed at how nice your #183 build is, Jonas!

Did you find any noticeable difference using those metal films (at least they look like metal films) in some of the signal portions of the amp compared to carbon films?

I've contact Amplified Nation about picking up a chassis, boards, and cab for my next build after I finish up this Trinity OSD build. This amp and the one Taylor just posted has certainly been inspiring!

- Matt J.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Matt J wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:49 pm I know I'm resurrecting an old topic here, but I'm still amazed at how nice your #183 build is, Jonas!

Did you find any noticeable difference using those metal films (at least they look like metal films) in some of the signal portions of the amp compared to carbon films?

I've contact Amplified Nation about picking up a chassis, boards, and cab for my next build after I finish up this Trinity OSD build. This amp and the one Taylor just posted has certainly been inspiring!

- Matt J.
Matt,

There was quite a #183 frenzy a few years back a lot of these were built, they are great amps and have great documentation. Everything that Ultra makes has excellent workmanship, this is one of the better threads on making an #183.

The 1/2 watt NTE metal film resistors as well as the EL34 tubes are part of the mojo for this amp, this is what Dumble used.

This build thread refers to a special order Heyboer transformer which has the additional heater current for the EL34s and a dedicated 6VDC tap so you can avoid having a second transformer for the relays. Heyboer will make one up for you, let me know if you want the part number.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

Thanks Matt and Eric!

Eric, your SSS #2 ain't to shabby either. Mucho skills there; an SSS is quite a beast to tackle.

Matt, I wasn't too concerned with carbon and metal film placement. I only made sure to sprinkle em' in the right spots as per the 183 pics. The metal films was an assortment of KOA Speer, Xicon, NTE, and some PRPs.

Best of luck on your build Matt. I'll be sure to tune into your thread!

BTW, all my pics that I have ever uploaded on this page have gone "dark" since Photobucket will no longer accept 3rd party hosting free of charge. I'd rather pay for amp parts than spend $400 on Photo-f**k-it's yearly fee. I guess you can still click on the image link in the posts, but it doesn't display directly in the forum. Seriously, if anyone want shots of the amp or other stuff I've done, just PM me.

The custom Twin PT I used was a Heyboer HTS-10359.
HTS10359.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

UltraHookedOnPhonix wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:18 pm Thanks Matt and Eric!

Eric, your SSS #2 ain't to shabby either. Mucho skills there; an SSS is quite a beast to tackle.

Matt, I wasn't too concerned with carbon and metal film placement. I only made sure to sprinkle em' in the right spots as per the 183 pics. The metal films was an assortment of KOA Speer, Xicon, NTE, and some PRPs.

Best of luck on your build Matt. I'll be sure to tune into your thread!

BTW, all my pics that I have ever uploaded on this page have gone "dark" since Photobucket will no longer accept 3rd party hosting free of charge. I'd rather pay for amp parts than spend $400 on Photo-f**k-it's yearly fee. I guess you can still click on the image link in the posts, but it doesn't display directly in the forum. Seriously, if anyone want shots of the amp or other stuff I've done, just PM me.

The custom Twin PT I used was a Heyboer HTS-10359.
HTS10359.jpg
Thanks for the info Ultra! I'll have to inquire with Heyboer about that PT!

I noticed where photobucket basically held your photos hostage. :x I've seen this on other forums and it is extremely irritating that they've done this! I downloaded the pics of your build from their website and they are still high quality. If I have any questions about it I will let you know. I'm aiming towards a 50 watt build. I've PM'd Taylor at Amplified Nation about a chassis, boards, and cabinet. I have a large assortment of Xicon CFs and NTE MFs on order, so I'll be working through were to put them in the circuit. Hopefully everything should arrive to get started on just as I've finished up finishing things up on my Trinity OSD build. It just needs the ground scheme redone and the OT rotated to be perpendicular with the PT.

Thanks again!
- Matt J.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Matt,

Strongly recommend doing a 100 watt build.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440