Anyone have any experience with a Peavey Valverb?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kevster

Anyone have any experience with a Peavey Valverb?

Post by kevster »

I was considering picking one up, but I've never seen one or known anyone that did. A rack slot sized tube reverb is something I'd be interested in if it's legitimately a good reverb.

Manual: http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301653.pdf

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcbYlcno ... re=related

Anyone know anything about them? Opinions?

A digital reverb unit I've been considering is the Lexicon MX200. It is an entry level reverb/delay (rack multi-effects) unit, but it israted fairly high in reviews. Anyone with an opinion on the Lexicon MX series?

Thanks everyone.

I stuck this in the Dumble board as I plan on using one (reverb unit) or the other with my ODS50 clone. The bulk of the amp is bought and paid for, but it will be about one month to get it delivered. It'll likely take at least a couple weeks more to get it assembled and tweaked.

I'm planning on a head cab with room for two rack slots of gear in the bottom. One is for the Dumbleator and one is for a reverb unit. Due to the odd size, I still need to determine whether I build or order the cab. By having the reverb in the bottom of the cab, I'll have it better contained and portable. Also less connections to deal with at gigs, etc.

Any opinions on this arrangement?
ToneMerc

Re: Anyone have any experience with a Peavey Valverb?

Post by ToneMerc »

I picked up one when they first came out. I thought the verb was kind of harsh sounding, it didn't have the warmth that a Fender reverb can have. However, I thought the tremelo had a cool range of sounds. I ended up trading it and a first version Butler Tube Driver to Daddy's Junky Music, wish I still had them both. I would pick one up another one if it was dirt cheap.

I would say go with digital unit though.

TM
Last edited by ToneMerc on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevster

Post by kevster »

ToneMerc wrote:I picked up one when they first came out. I thought the verb was kind of harsh sounding, it didn't have the warm that a Fender reverb can have. However, I thought the tremelo had a cool range of sounds. I ended up trading it and a first version Butler Tube Driver to Daddy's Junky Music, wish I still had them both. I would pick one up another one if it was dirt cheap.

TM
That's how I would characterize the reverb in the Peavey Delta Blues amps. Is that a fair assessment or comparable?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

kevster wrote:
ToneMerc wrote:I picked up one when they first came out. I thought the verb was kind of harsh sounding, it didn't have the warm that a Fender reverb can have. However, I thought the tremelo had a cool range of sounds. I ended up trading it and a first version Butler Tube Driver to Daddy's Junky Music, wish I still had them both. I would pick one up another one if it was dirt cheap.

TM
That's how I would characterize the reverb in the Peavey Delta Blues amps. Is that a fair assessment or comparable?
I've never played through a Delta Blues so I can't say.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I did some mods on a delta blues #1 a standby switch #2 a cooling fan.

I' not a fan of this amp thetransformers were week at best and high temp.

The board was strange sheered in to a box shape real hard to work on.

The only part I liked was the 15" speaker. it looks good on the outside but

But not on the inside dirt cheap parts.

Lexicon makes some great reverb units save up for a good one.

Just my 2 cents. take your guitar rig to the music store and try out what

they have.also don't just look at lexicon find what works for you.
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

67plexi wrote:save up for a good one. take your guitar rig to the music store and try out what
IMO, Digital Verbs in an Effects loop are mucho quiet and hassle free. T.C. electronics, Lexicon, even the older Boss Reverb pedal (i think it's called the RV-1) works great (Joe Bonamassa even uses one in one of his Van Welden's with a Dumbleator).
Mill Creek Audio

Lexicon

Post by Mill Creek Audio »

Lexicon MX 400 is what I'm using and I can't say enough about it, great converters and FX. Probably more than most ax men need (4 processors) but after using one heavily live for 2 years I just bought another. They can be had very reasonably now....
Mr Dumble

Post by Mr Dumble »

I still have a PV Valverb and think it sounds great. (And I am a fender reverb fanatic!) That being said, my T.Rex roomate is all I use now.
kevster

Post by kevster »

Obviously the product didn't last, but I thought it had promise....

It looks like the digital products out there will work just fine through a D-lator. If I feel like the D-lator takes care of the "digital effect", I 'll probably be going that route. Presets, versatility, reliability...

I still don't like the sound of the current digital stuff without something to improve the sound.

Thanks for the feedback on the Valverb.
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

I recently purchased a TC Hall of Fame pedal. Studio quality in pedal format. The reverb is absolutely drenching.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Do you guys really find the digital effects units, in general, acceptable in serial loops? I use a TC M-One XL in a parallel effects loop and it is great in that mode. I don't like it so much in serial mode. The main reason is that the unit digitizes everything and I don't like the whole signal digitized. I think it is much better if just the effects are digital and the main signal remains fully analog.
57special

Post by 57special »

I had one years ago and thought it sounded very good. The trem was especially good. Mine was a bit noisy, though.
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

I've had one of those since the '90s. I think the quality is pretty good for a "pan" unit, but it doesn't work well with all loops. It might have been a successful product if there was any sort of commonality in the signal strength/impedance of loops in various amps of the period.

a'doc
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

I have one, quietly resting in the various racks of '80's and '90's rack gear. It was not bad sounding and it has a tube in it as I recall, to impress your geek buddies.
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

Which reminds me...one of the phone conversations I with HAD back in the late '80 he told how cool it was to control an Overdrive Special via a TC Electronic 2290. Somewhere I have the control wiring that he had me write down but it'd probably child's play to you builders.