Anyone tried the CTS pots from Mojo?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wjdunham

Anyone tried the CTS pots from Mojo?

Post by wjdunham »

I ordered a few amps worth to try them out. They seem to be high quality construction and the first #124 style amp I build with them sounded great, but the taper at least on the 1MA pot seems quite low, much lower than the Alpha 1MA.

The guy I spoke with at Mojo didn't seem to know what the spec was supposed to be, and actually said something to the effect of "it's still a 1M pot, just turn it up"... Not a big deal but I was expecting them to be closer to the 30% of the originals as they have that look, but they don't even measure out to be the 10% of the Alphas.

Bill
Roe

Re: Anyone tried the CTS pots from Mojo?

Post by Roe »

I've tried several of them in a metro kit but dont remember the taper
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
glasman

Post by glasman »

Standard CTS stuff is 10% taper, if you want 30% you need to special order about 1000 pieces.

Standard Alphas are 15% and they also can be special ordered at 30%, but requires 1000 pieces minimum.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

glasman wrote:Standard CTS stuff is 10% taper, if you want 30% you need to special order about 1000 pieces.

Standard Alphas are 15% and they also can be special ordered at 30%, but requires 1000 pieces minimum.

Gary
Thanks Gary, that explains the difference. I had thought I had read the Alpha's were 10% - my measurements were very crude as I only eyeballed the 50% rotation, close enough to tell the CTS was lower than the Alphas but not to determine the exact taper.
I would imagine that you have done a lot of measurements to confirm, how consistent are the tapers on the Alphas and the CTS (1MA specifically)?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

wjdunham wrote:I ordered a few amps worth to try them out. They seem to be high quality construction and the first #124 style amp I build with them sounded great.

Bill
I've been using them for awhile, only I get them from Tube Depot.
glasman

Post by glasman »

wjdunham wrote:
glasman wrote:Standard CTS stuff is 10% taper, if you want 30% you need to special order about 1000 pieces.

Gary
Thanks Gary, that explains the difference. I had thought I had read the Alpha's were 10% - my measurements were very crude as I only eyeballed the 50% rotation, close enough to tell the CTS was lower than the Alphas but not to determine the exact taper.
I would imagine that you have done a lot of measurements to confirm, how consistent are the tapers on the Alphas and the CTS (1MA specifically)?

I did a lot of pot testing a couple of years ago (that sounds pretty bad :)). Things that I noticed is the the CTS pots (at least the ones I tested) were a true log pot, the alphas use a hockey stick element. Two linear taper sections with different vaues and when you mate them, you get a very reasonable facsimile of a log pot.

As far as taper consistancy, most are very good.

As far as total end to end resistance, that varies (within the tolerance range). I bin my pots and use the odd ball for non mission critical sections of the amps. My spec for critical pots is +/-5%.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I use Mojo CTS and Alpha pots (3/8 shaft) and have had no problems.

Mark
talbany

Post by talbany »

Gary
Gary
I think we discussed this here and concluded the standard audio taper on the Fenders (or early CTS 70's/80's) to be around 20-25%

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... s&start=15

.. I know the 2-35 treble pot were special order from Fender but I am not certain the 1m pots were.. Do you know if they recently changed the specs to 10% or were the Fenders specials..There may lie the confusion..BTW don't mean to nit pick..
Either way it would be nice if Mojo specified the taper & tolerance on there logarithmic pots..IMHO..We are using them in audio amplifiers..

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

talbany wrote:... it would be nice if Mojo specified the taper & tolerance on there logarithmic pots..IMHO..We are using them in audio amplifiers...
Seconded. And why, if these pots are for vintage amps, don't they get them made to the vintage taper? They are surely buying enough of them. I find that they are pretty stingy with specs in general and especially so on electronic components. Some are just wrong, too. A couple of their data sheets for OT's show the impedance for each half of the primary instead of the customary a-a value, and it's shown as half the a-a impedance!
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

I've got an issue with the master volume on my D'Lite build. The taper is quite even right up to about 1:00, which in my band ends up being about gig level (competing with another loud guitarist and a loud drummer on tight stages). At that point, the control gets as touchy as a rattlesnake. Tiny movements make big differences in volume. So at a gig, when you're trying to make changes while playing, it can be a real problem.

Not sure what's in there...it's what was supplied by Brown Note.

Any suggestions for a taper that might behave a bit more predictably at reasonable volumes?
-g