Fuchs Jack Frost ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drz400

Fuchs Jack Frost ?

Post by drz400 »

I am totally confused by this, http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/html/frost100.html
:wink: ????
Last edited by drz400 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluefireamps

Re: Fuchs Jack Frost ?

Post by bluefireamps »

:?: What's not to understand? Andy worked with Frost and developed a more modern high gain amp to compliment his amp line. Are you asserting that Frost isn't a good player? I haven't heard him, so I don't know.
Dave
Tube Powered
mhuss

Re: Fuchs Jack Frost WTF?

Post by mhuss »

drz400 wrote:Has Fuchs heard this guy play????
I guess your real question is should Andy be picky about the people he builds amps for. :?

If it was me, anyone who is famous and has a lot of money would be OK, particularly if the association might sell a few amps in a market that I couldn't otherwise easily enter. :D

+1 for Andy.

--mark h
drz400

Post by drz400 »

bluefireamps wrote::?: What's not to understand? Andy worked with Frost and developed a more modern high gain amp to compliment his amp line. Are you asserting that Frost isn't a good player? I haven't heard him, so I don't know.
Dave
Seems out of character for Fuchs who I always thought made amps for the more descriminating player. Frost is not a great player at all, he is the kind of guy who should not have an endorsement unless maybe it is from someone like Krank or Crate, there are a million players in that vain more worthy of a signature amp. Just IMO in cheapens the Fuchs name. IMO which really doesnt mean shit, it is Fuch's buis. but he seems like he cares about tone so I was suprised. Strange how the sound clips are not working..There are some great shred metal players out there, just seemed like a very odd choice.

Here ya go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5Vgn9oEOM
Sit through it until the solo and tell me what you think......
FUCHSAUDIO

Relax fellas

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

bluefireamps wrote::?: What's not to understand? Andy worked with Frost and developed a more modern high gain amp to compliment his amp line. Are you asserting that Frost isn't a good player? I haven't heard him, so I don't know.
Dave
We're exploring some new directions, and Jack is a New Jersey based player who approached us about making something in a new style of amp we had not made before. Oddly, this happened while we were considering it already. Let's not make Amp Garage into Harmony Central, where this was already rehashed.

If (in-fact) "there are a million players in that vain more worthy of a signature amp", none of them ever approached us, lol. Our previous product offerings have been very well accepted, but in the fusion, jazz, blues markets. The Frost's represent our desire to grow as a company, and perhaps build amps that would be more accepted by players in the metal-shredder-genres.....

Please don't equate your love or hatred for a player with the tone of a product you haven't heard yet. There are lots of amazing players with signature amps that sound like a$$. Why is that any better or worse ?

Sure, we could have named it something else (Crunchy Frog comes to mind), but you can't put toothpaste back in the tube. BTW: The initial response has been excellent (and we haven't even formally put it out yet, thatis in two weeks at the NAMM show), so expect more models in the series too.

Would guys in a band like Queensryche make you feel differently ?

BTW: The Frost sound files worked fine for me when I checked them today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
drz400

Post by drz400 »

Sorry Mr Fuchs,
I really do love this forum for what it is (not Harmony Central) and have respect for what you do for a living.

But just because an artist approached you doesnt mean he is worthy of a signature amp, he is laughed about in many of the metal circles as being a gear whore.

Totally your buisiness and I'm sure it is a fine amp but as someone who enjoys metal, his playing is an assault to the senses. I think it would have meant more to not be a "signature amp" In many situations guys who play do not want an artists name on their gear they dont respect.
The clips works now :wink:
It would be nice just to hear the amp without all the recording double tracking and band fluff, just straight up maybe a touch of reverb.
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

There are many great guitar tones and players beyond Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Dumble.
If you don't care for a particular type of tone....such as a high gain modern rock tone like this, that is totally fine, but many people do and believe me it is not such a simple process to build this type of amp so it doesn't sound flat like a triple rectifier while keeping a nice tight bottom end for the 7 stringers. To make statements implying your selling out strikes me as a little ignorant.

Think about it, how many sucessful businesses rely on just one product type ? Like it or not there is a huge market for high quailty high gain fire breathers. Look at the prices of products by Dietzel or Bogner. I get more requests to build these type of amps than the Dumble inspired. Don't get me wrong I love the Dumble type tones, but I also have to love and understand many more, as does Andy or anyone who wants to survive amongst the huge amp Companies.

Listening to the sound clips of Andys amp, I think it sounds absolutely excellent, very SLO inspired, the grit of an early SLO-100 but with the articulation and harmonic content of a late 70's Marshall. The bottom end is tight without sounding constipated.

Good on ya mate and best of luck with your new designs !!

Alan.
drz400

Post by drz400 »

'67_Plexi wrote:There are many great guitar tones and players beyond Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Dumble.
If you don't care for a particular type of tone....such as a high gain modern rock tone like this, that is totally fine,Alan.
Actually I LOVE gain amps and that style of playing. In fact way more than Ford or Carlton.
I have no problem with Andy switching directions, I never said anything of a sort, I just cant get past the player when listening to the amp clips.

Never mind I guess I'm alone on this one
Last edited by drz400 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

'67_Plexi wrote: Listening to the sound clips of Andys amp, I think it sounds absolutely excellent, very SLO inspired, the grit of an early SLO-100 but with the articulation and harmonic content of a late 70's Marshall. The bottom end is tight without sounding constipated.

Good on ya mate and best of luck with your new designs !!

Alan.
Thanks Alan ! Much appreciated !
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Great sounding amp Andy. Not my style of playing but I hear some really great potential for that amp. I'd bet you could coax some nice smooth Warren Haynes type flutey neck PU tones out of that one, not to mention the straight ahead overdriven lead possibilities.

Great addition to the family, best of luck at NAMM.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Andy, seems like a pretty cool amp to me. I like the NAMM pics on your site, especially the amp in the lucite cab! Very nice.

I suppose this new amp (and its namesake) stepped on the nest that unleashed the "metal guys got no tone' bees. What is "tone" anyway?

I ran sound for a metal band one time and the guitar player told me that metal "just payed the rent." At sound check he dialed back his volume and tone and launched into one of the best renditions of "Harlem Nocturne" I've ever heard. I don't remember his name, but he had tons of "tone" when he wanted it, right out of a JCM 800!

Anyway, mo power to ya.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
bluefireamps

Post by bluefireamps »

Just so everybody understands, I wasn't taking drz400 to task. I really didn't understand why he didn't understand. 8) Not trying to start anything. He explained his meaning and expressed his opinions quite clearly. I'm happy to see Andy build all kinds of amps regardless of who plays them.
Dave
Tube Powered
guitargodad

Post by guitargodad »

Andy the new amp sounds good, I'd go for an ods myself but I'd like to say nice work and I cant wait to play that thing at namm.
FUCHSAUDIO

Thanks.....

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Bob-I wrote:Great sounding amp Andy. Not my style of playing but I hear some really great potential for that amp. I'd bet you could coax some nice smooth Warren Haynes type flutey neck PU tones out of that one, not to mention the straight ahead overdriven lead possibilities.

Great addition to the family, best of luck at NAMM.
The first channel in the 100-2 will do exactly that: Bluesy, mid focused, humblesque, singing Eric-Johnson style stuff. Channel 2 is the same circuit as the 100-1, in high gain mode: scooped mids, and edge in the upper mids, and that "hive of angry bees" (on zanax) tone. BTW: The soundfiles are 100-1. 100-2 soundfiles after NAMM. We just finalized the voicing on that channel this week.....wouldn't be NAMM without "cramming".

Thanks for the kind words.
drz400

Re: Thanks.....

Post by drz400 »

I really didn't understand why he didn't understand. Not trying to start anything
Again I think Andy understands where I'm comming from, it has NOTHING to do with Fuchs making this kind of amp, it was about the choice of artist to be the center piece of it.

Tweaking for NAMM? can you really hear anything there? Do you have an enclosed room?
Andy when you do "tweaks" how often do you do them. Do you have tweaks like Rev A rev B etc and let the customers know or do you just do it and not say anything. I can definately understand #2 since that is what most amp guys do. But then there are amps like Soldano SLO for better or worse I think he has NEVER made a change since day 1. Bogner has definately made a boatload of changes and I think he only tells people 1/10th of his tweaks. I guess every Dumble is a little different