Dumble vs Bruno

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

ODS & ODR vs. Bruno

Post by dr. who »

Having played both Bruno and dumble amps I hve to say that thay have their own sweet spots. I can assure you that the Super 100 without effects loop is in no way less of an amp than the Overdrive Special. I have heard a plate reverb placed in the loop in a S100 and it sounded better than any ODR I've heard but that could go to the plate vs. spring debate. The 4x12" cab is the only way to hear the bruno btw. Way bigger than I have heard people trashing bruno, and it's pointless. The guy is a really good amp builder who is just now really getting into player personalization of amps like the way Mr. Dumble does. I will try to post some pics of a S100 with 6l6 and no effects loop in the near future to help display the cleanliness of the amps interior.
-The Doc
keithrick

Re: Dumble vs Bruno

Post by keithrick »

Can you add a schematic or layout as well? :D Or is there already one available?

I am very curious about the differences in his approach to the circuit.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Me too! :)

Tommy
dr. who

schematic

Post by dr. who »

I will take plenty of quality pics, but I am not proficient enough to make a schematic yet. Hopefully someone here would be able to.
The Doc
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Cool, I am looking forward to them!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

here is 1, looks pretty darn sloppy to me..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

and this one is from when he was charging $6K
Last edited by Funkalicousgroove on Fri May 15, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUCHSAUDIO

"shudders"

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:and this one is from when he was charging $6K.......what an ass!!!
:shock:
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I agree that it's not very tidy. But then, you pay for the sound, not the neat wiring :)

Tommy
keithrick

Re: schematic

Post by keithrick »

dr. who wrote:I will take plenty of quality pics, but I am not proficient enough to make a schematic yet. Hopefully someone here would be able to.
The Doc
Doc,

Can you draw a picture of the board and try to write down the resistor values in a layout form? We can then use the pics to determine how the circuit is wired. A voltage chart would be cool as well!

Tdale- exactly!
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

The only thing I could say about this thread is to listen to the Brunos before saying anything about how tidy it is inside. I don't know if those pics are old or come from prototypes but the ones I looked inside (ten or so, different models) were nice, not beautifully build, not a chirurgically clean wiring BUT they sound gorgeous. One kind of brand that make you forget about your vintage amps.

Anyway, I think of it as a good lesson. Super clean wiring doesn't mean better sound than a more messy layout and from there the most important thing is how good or bad the amp sound and react to the player touch.

I would love to build amps that sound like Tony's and for now my super clean builds are far from them !

Tom
Funkalicousgroove

Point retracted, I'm not out to piss anyone off!
Last edited by Funkalicousgroove on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod Ford

Post by Hotrod Ford »

People People, Pleeease stop whining about prices on others products,
the way its done here and now really puts me off !

its up to every man to set his price on their work IMO, especially if you have a Brand name and people who like what they hear,

who actually really cared other than service techs about how it looked inside an amp 20 years ago?? it was the sound that was most important , no? and it seems like many newcomers like to think they are better than the old cats , great fine but do it properly

I would rather whine over a PCB amp produced in fairly large numbers for 3-4k than a hand wired amp for 5-6k especially if it sounds great,
I have been repairing amps for number of years and hate working on PCB amps as much now as I did in the beginning, especially backsatge on the road, usually a royal pain in the ass :(

EDIT
I am also really surpriced when I saw Fuchs very unproffesional posts in this tread, :shock: A big thumbs down !
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Hotrod Ford wrote: I would rather whine over a PCB amp produced in fairly large numbers for 3-4k than a hand wired amp for 5-6k especially if it sounds great,
I have been repairing amps for number of years and hate working on PCB amps as much now as I did in the beginning, especially backsatge on the road, usually a royal pain in the ass :(

EDIT
I am also really surpriced when I saw Fuchs very unproffesional posts in this tread, :shock: A big thumbs down !
Hotrod:

First of all, when a PC board is applied and used properly, it should not be the weak link in a product. Remember, our tubes, jacks nor potentiometers are not on the main board, like many others either. Many people connect PC Boards with inexpensive amps, which is unfair. Bogner, Diezel, THD, and many other companies can build extremely high quality and consistent products with PC Boards.

We choose to put our money into oversized custom made transformers, precision made metalwork, and premium parts. Our circuit boards have thick, oversize traces, and full solder masks and silk screening. I can tell you if I did decide to make a PTP amp, I would make sure it looked as good as it sounded, in and out.

As far as professionalism, I'm afraid I do agree with Funkalicous that with the time and effort a builder puts into a point-to-point amp, the difference between a good looking amp and a not-so good looking amp should be minimal. If this makes me unprofessional to you, I'm sorry you feel that way.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Good point Andy. I've actually been hoping that someone here will design a PCB for these clones we're building. The folks on the SLOclone forum have been homebuilding PCB amps all along and they sound great.