Coax cable!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wavetuner

Re: Coax cable!

Post by wavetuner »

Rg188 is speced as SCCS (S/C Plated steel) OD=.1" Conductor .02" 29.4pf/ft
Rg400 is speced as SC (silver plated cop) OD=.195" inner= .0384" again 29.4 Pf/ft

I am using an intuitive guess that RG400 with its copper core and nearly double the size conductor is better suited to 7 foot runs from a DC resistance and reactance perspective although the capacitance is the same. Rg188 has a PTFE jacket where RG400 is FEP (250C versus 200C burn) which is hopefully irrelevant to playing out ;-^). In the chassis, rg188 has a Minimum .5" bend radius versus a 1" bend for 400. Both are 50 Ohm cable.

To be clear, RG188 does appear in HAD Dumbleators and ODS models? Yes? It would seem that RG400 is a better choice for longer patching cables IMHO.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

wavetuner wrote:
I am using an intuitive guess that RG400 with its copper core and nearly double the size conductor is better suited to 7 foot runs from a DC resistance and reactance perspective although the capacitance is the same. Rg188 has a PTFE jacket where RG400 is FEP (250C versus 200C burn) which is hopefully irrelevant to playing out ;-^). In the chassis, rg188 has a Minimum .5" bend radius versus a 1" bend for 400. Both are 50 Ohm cable.
From an low freq audio amplifier perspective both cables will perform the same as it's the gross capacitive qualities that's desired, nothing more, nothing less. However, it's a bear trying to use 5-6 strands of the larger physical form factor cable inside a relatively small enclosure. The same holds true for wiring a pedalboard or an ample rack system, the smaller diameter coax cables are easier to physically manage.

By the same token you have a guy that maybe has just a D'lator and an effect, while it can be done RG188 doesn't exactly physically mate well with a standard 1/4 TR phone plug.

TM
Structo

Re: Rg188

Post by Structo »

boldaslove6789 wrote:
A Friend with a Dumble Overdrive Reverb told me that he got two RG-400 cables from HAD when he received the amp for use with a ((Stereo)) Dumbleator.
That is good information to know. :)
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

...I know it's not only me because I've had two guitarists that could blindly tell when the 14' of RG400 was in the loop path.
I really dislike that 14' of RG400 in the loop. It is very easy to hear - my bass player heard it. :-) I know many here have stated that it is desirable. In my 102/183 build, it just congests the hell out of the tone. Even with snubbers removed and various values of bright caps, the 14' of RG400 just kills the tone. I don't know why my view is so different from others, but it is...
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

vibratoking wrote:
...I know it's not only me because I've had two guitarists that could blindly tell when the 14' of RG400 was in the loop path.
I really dislike that 14' of RG400 in the loop. It is very easy to hear - my bass player heard it. :-) I know many here have stated that it is desirable. In my 102/183 build, it just congests the hell out of the tone. Even with snubbers removed and various values of bright caps, the 14' of RG400 just kills the tone. I don't know why my view is so different from others, but it is...
VK, I don't like really like it with the early gen amps same, goes for the D'lator. However, with the #183 the RG400 and the D'lator is a must have.

TM
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

I use 10 ft of RG400 and a d'lator with my #183. I'm quite satisfied with what the amp can do, both clean and OD.
David Root

Coax for D'lator

Post by David Root »

I just ordered some Canare L3CFB to use in a D'lator build I'm starting now. 17pF/foot. This is for inside the chassis primarily but it's big enough to use in the connecting cables too, at 0.217" OD.

Anyone used this/can offer an opinion as to its suitability for either of these applications?
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Haven't used Canary, but George L which has similar lowish capacity. Tried it in my first D'clone, but found the amp way too bright. Changed it for RG174 and never looked back. Have used it in d'clones ever since. (Even in a low plate classic, that should probably have RG74 instead (like #124))

Depending on your tonal preference, if your d'lator gets too bright, you can always tune it in with a few small caps.

For connection cables to/from the amp send/ret, I prefer appx 200p per cable. So canary would be either too long or too bright for my taste.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
Structo

Post by Structo »

I like the Teflon shielded cable I got from Apex Jr.

I think it is RG174

1/8" dia., Silver plated conductor and shield, 30.8pf/ ft.

RG400 is 3/16" dia., 32pf/ ft.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx guys. If this Canare low pF is too bright, I also have some stuff from Apex Jr. which is about 60pF. It has the tightest braid I've ever run across, like it's glued to the dielectric.