Bonamassa Goes Dumblish

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

s2

Bonamassa Goes Dumblish

Post by s2 »

Have you guys checked out Joe's rig lately? The last time I saw him before last week, he was running a pair of Jubilees, a '72 Plexi, and a MV Marshall of some type. I built him a '68 Plexi clone with some special features, then went and checked him out at the House of Blues opening here in Dallas a couple of weeks ago.

He's now playing 1 Jubilee, my amp, a Two-Rock, and a Van Weelden Dumble clone. He keeps the Jubilee on all the time and switches between the other 3 with a Lehle. He has a pretty minimal pedal board these days.

He had some pretty monster tone and the Dumble clones sounded pretty darn good. I've always preferred the clean tones out of Two-Rocks, but Joe convinced me the OD is pretty good too. I just don't have the chops to bring it out.

Of course, he was so loud I couldn't figure out which amp was which by the end of the night. It all sounded like Jubilee mush after standing next to 200W of power for a couple of hours.

http://category5.phanfare.com/album/281 ... D=16983540
jelle

Re: Bonamassa Goes Dumblish

Post by jelle »

Hi,

You build one of Joe's amps?! COOL!

I played the Peter van Weelden Twinkle Land a couple of years ago. This is one SERIOUS amp! I couldn't afford it then so I bought a Weller instead...;-)

The clones and schematics I have seen since do not sound like the Twinkle Land I have played at Peter's little shop. Like I said...one serious amp. :shock: Almost as expensive as a real one....and a 3 months wait when ordered back then. The amp I played was very responsive and open sounding when played gently but really spoke out with a lead tone when I dug into the guitar. Very refined sound. It was a 100W 4x 6L6 (sovtek tall base 5881)amp with, if I recall correctly, Belgian transformers. He also makes the Dumbleator in a 19" format.

Peter's work looks very good BTW. I highly respect this amp builder.

Jelle
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

Hey S 2,
My Man Ruben V and Joe opened for Kim Wilson last year here in S.A. and Joe do have some good Chop's, he was useing the same rig you described except he had a line six amp in the lineup, I would love to hear him with your amp in the backdrop, i'll try to catch him next time he make's Austin or S.A.,
John
blue_lu

Post by blue_lu »

So how does the twinkle land compare to, lets say a fuchs or a two rock?
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

no kidding. kudos.

joe has some wicked tone. loud, too. best way.

germ
gtrcollectr

Post by gtrcollectr »

it almost looks like the plexi is missing all of the knobs......they look like those hole plugs that are chrome. On closer inspection I do see some indicator lines on em. I just saw a show at HOB last night and its really a cool venue. Going to the Arc Angels show in a few months there also.
s2

Post by s2 »

gtrcollectr wrote:it almost looks like the plexi is missing all of the knobs......they look like those hole plugs that are chrome. On closer inspection I do see some indicator lines on em. I just saw a show at HOB last night and its really a cool venue. Going to the Arc Angels show in a few months there also.
LOL! Joe specifically asked for those old JTM45 knobs. When I put them on the amp, I just had to stand back and shake my head. Not my cup-o-tea, but the first thing he said when he saw the amp was, "Wow! I really like those knobs!" Go figure :)
gtrwun

Post by gtrwun »

Very cool that he's playin your stuff Steve! So tell me.......those plexiglass screens in front of the amp.....I guess they dont really work so well since your saying the volume was fatiguing? Ive thought about employing something similar on some stages we play. Steve
s2

Post by s2 »

No, the plexi screens work well for limiting stage volume and protecting the first couple of rows. In my case, I was literally standing 3' away from his amps on the side, so the screens didn't do much for me.
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

s2 wrote:
gtrcollectr wrote: LOL! Joe specifically asked for those old JTM45 knobs. When I put them on the amp, I just had to stand back and shake my head. Not my cup-o-tea, but the first thing he said when he saw the amp was, "Wow! I really like those knobs!" Go figure :)

knobs look fine, amp just is funny looking. :mrgreen:
Last edited by lastwinj on Tue May 22, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

That's very cool Steve...congrats!
Joe B has got to be one of the biggest "player's" player's around, it's got to be great to have him workin your gear!
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
s2

Post by s2 »

lastwinj wrote:
s2 wrote:
gtrcollectr wrote: LOL! Joe specifically asked for those old JTM45 knobs. When I put them on the amp, I just had to stand back and shake my head. Not my cup-o-tea, but the first thing he said when he saw the amp was, "Wow! I really like those knobs!" Go figure :)

You ain't right for that Jeremy!
s2

Post by s2 »

lastwinj wrote:
s2 wrote:

You ain't right for that Jeremy!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

s2 wrote:... the plexi screens work well for limiting stage volume ...
Steve, how thick do you think that plexiglass was? Are those commercially made? It might keep my keyboard player off my back :lol:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

drhulsey wrote:
s2 wrote:... the plexi screens work well for limiting stage volume ...
Steve, how thick do you think that plexiglass was? Are those commercially made? It might keep my keyboard player off my back :lol:
You know that's frickin' brilliant!!
You could easily trap him in a plexi box is it was thick enough.
Kudos!
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html