Bonamassa Goes Dumblish

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

s2

Re: Bonamassa Goes Dumblish

Post by s2 »

drhulsey wrote:
s2 wrote:... the plexi screens work well for limiting stage volume ...
Steve, how thick do you think that plexiglass was? Are those commercially made? It might keep my keyboard player off my back :lol:
I think they are about 0.25" thick. They look like they are just made from Lexan and strip hinges from Home Depot or something.
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I use a plexi shield sometimes. It's not to limit stage volume, it's to limit the volume coming off the stage. A stage will put guitar speakers at ear level & the people 30 feet out from the stage are getting slammed. Just go to a Junior Brown show & hear his SF twins powering JBS & you will get the idea.
The shield can actually seem to increase stage volume, especially if your amp is up against a hard wall. It seems to keep the sound onstage. My drummer hates it when I use one. Sound engineers love them.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Put a wall around the drummer - then no one else will need them......

Band joke - no flames please
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

s2 wrote: I think they are about 0.25" thick
That's what it looked like in the pic's. Looks like piano hinge between panels.
heisthl wrote:Put a wall around the drummer
Tell that to our drummer :twisted: I love him. He's LOUD like a R&R drummer should be, but there's no volume knob on his drums when we're in a small venue. We need an attenuator for the drums, Like a SOUND PROOF BOOTH :!: :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

Joe just ordered an amp from me last Tuesday. I was invited to take a 100W head down to his gig. He hooked it up during sound check with his other amps so he could ABC everything through his three way switch. It was very interesting to actually hear my amp put up against some of it's similar (but now I realise just how different) stable-mates.
Joe cranked the amp right up, played for a few minutes then grinned and said 'at last I've found someone that can build a 100W that doesn't fall apart when cranked'.
'I totally love it, it sounds huge. I really want one, how much is the deposit ?' He kept shouting different members of the band and crew across and saying 'Come and check this thing out' He asked if I minded if he used it......like he had to ask !!
At the end of the gig he gave me a deposit and all contact details.

Joe is the nicest guy to deal with, he loves talking gear and has a very good technical understanding of guitars, amps and PA, which really helps.

The following day Joe sent me an email telling me how he loved the amp and that Eric Johnson was eagerly waiting to hear it.

Not bragging, just sharing a stroke of good fortune on a thread that seemed appropriate.
Kind of a surreal experience, but a lot of fun and probably very good for business.

Alan.
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

Joe just ordered an amp from me last Tuesday. I was invited to take a 100W head down to his gig. He hooked it up during sound check with his other amps so he could ABC everything through his three way switch. It was very interesting to actually hear my amp put up against some of it's similar (but now I realise just how different) stable-mates.
Joe cranked the amp right up, played for a few minutes then grinned and said 'at last I've found someone that can build a 100W that doesn't fall apart when cranked'.
'I totally love it, it sounds huge. I really want one, how much is the deposit ?' He kept shouting different members of the band and crew across and saying 'Come and check this thing out' He asked if I minded if he used it......like he had to ask !!
At the end of the gig he gave me a deposit and all contact details.

Joe is the nicest guy to deal with, he loves talking gear and has a very good technical understanding of guitars, amps and PA, which really helps.

The following day Joe sent me an email telling me how he loved the amp and that Eric Johnson was eagerly waiting to hear it.

Not bragging, just sharing a stroke of good fortune on a thread that seemed appropriate.
Kind of a surreal experience, but a lot of fun and probably very good for business.

Alan.
s2

Post by s2 »

Joe must have some serious GAS. He just ordered a 2nd amp from me. He wants to leave the original in Europe for his shows there and use the 2nd one in the US. This all makes me wonder just how many Plexi clones Joe needs/wants?

Out of curiosity, was the Category 5 amp on stage with him at the gig? It has been in every photo I've seen of this tour, but you never know...
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

...same deal here....he's having a couple of identical rigs, one here, one in Europe.

Mine is more of a later D-Style amp with a very tight power stage, it's not a Plexi style amp. Yours was indeed on stage and did remain on stage, one of the other D-type amps was replaced to try mine out. He combines tones as you will already know. He used mine with yours (assuming yours is the Cat 5) or the Jubilee combined.
Last edited by '67_Plexi on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
s2

Post by s2 »

Mine is indeed the C5 amp. It isn't one of our regular models. It was a one-off made to Joe's specs. I guess it's a two-off now :)

Congrats on landing a deal with JB. I sincerely hope it works out for you. So which D type amp is getting the boot? I imagine it must be the TR. He was crazy about the Twinkle the last time I talked to him.
'67_Plexi

Post by '67_Plexi »

Sorry for the delayed response.

The amp he tried out was one of my first OD-100s , gain structure wise based on a HRM 100W ODS, but with a number of differences in the power section and voicing. It's also set up to crunch up in the clean channel in a more Plexi-ish manner. He really like the sound of the clean channel cranked up, so more emphasis is being placed on that on his amp.

His actual amp is a one off custom based on the above, set up for international power and has a mid-boost function that operates on both channels (not the Dumblesque mid-boost, which I don't really care for).
It's also being optimised for JJ EL34 power tubes as they are the standard road stock. I would normally use TAD EL34's or NOS GE 6CA7's in a OD-100 or OD-2 because of the higher plate voltage (500V) needed to get the correct feel. JJ's can electrically handle that, just tonally not as good as the TADs or other variation of the EL34-BSTR.
I'll try to convince him to change :)

Joe uses many combinations of amps, usually with at least two being run together. When he tried mine, he just slotted it in where the Two-Rock was to try it out, but that doesn't mean he is permanently getting rid of the Two-Rock. In fact he has also ordered another amp from them to for his other rig. He just likes the different voicings for different applications.
There's a place for everything.

Alan