Opinions WANTED....what to build next

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dpin

Opinions WANTED....what to build next

Post by dpin »

I'm just looking for some opinions on what amp to build next based on this criteria:
- 2 channel, 40-50 watt'ish, 2-EL34/6L6 option , Dumble'esque
- OD channel with lots of smooth gain, where I won't need/want an OD pedal (but I do like a lot of OD) and really love the D sustain/blooming
- No FET input, PAB or bright switch needed
- With switchable effects loop

I'm leaning towards a D'Lite style, and just looking for some input on your experience....
I will probably wind up using a MXR 10 band EQ in the effect loop as a solo boost/ shaping tool....(if needed) unless we can build-in a strong/ pot controlled boost that is foot switchable,,,not PAB, but more of a SBC (soundman bypass control)

This is gonna be an amp FOR ME and not a design that I'm going to hide and try to sell as a unique design......I want to build my "go to" amp, and I'll share every piece of the puzzle.

Thanks in advance for any input you can take the time to give....it's truly appreciated.
guitardude57

Re: Opinions WANTED....what to build next

Post by guitardude57 »

I take it that you have built other amps...

Most of the D style amps are not too difficult to build with some building experience. There are gobs of schematics, and layouts in the Files section to choose from.

Your budget is the dominating factor on what to build.
Tone you like could be any of the numerous changes made over the years. These are great "tweak" to your liking, kind of amps.

Many sources for parts out there too.
Adding a bright switch or PAB, may be worth the couple extra parts
to do so.
I like the OD trimmer mounted as a pot on back, to adjust the OD to your liking, without taking the chassis out to adjust.

With relays, you can footswitch most functions you want.

With an extra tube, you could build in the tube loop, inside, and make it switchable in/out.
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed
dpin

Post by dpin »

guitardude57 wrote:I take it that you have built other amps...
Yes,,,I'm OK that way...this will be my 4th and maybe final (yeah right)...
I'd like to stop building and start playing more.
The budget isn't really an issue, anything is better than $2000 for a "boutique" amp that I'm capable of building myself.

BUT, I can't stand it when guys try to build the cheapest/greatest amp of all time.....seriously flawed theory there.
If anything, I am guilty of overbuilding,,,,whereas I'll use ALL over-rated components, just to feel "safe"

I realize that I'm brand new here and no one owes me anything, but I'm really just looking for your opinions on a tried and true design, or something that has stood out over the last few years as something for the higher gain guys (not metal).........I also realize that these answers already exist here, I'm just not sure where to look, which thread to follow, which schematic to use, or who to trust......
There is a lot of information here, but I wouldn't say it's highly organized,,,,and can be a little overwhelming......are "thenormster" D'lite files a proven winner??

I have a bench full of parts,,,drill and fill my own boards and chassis, etc., etc.......really just looking for opinions and advice like you have given (I like the trim control on the rear panel idea)

Thanks for taking the time to help me,,, I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the options that are available,,,but I really enjoy building amps that are well engineered and just work.
I'd love to just build something that sounds great the first time I fire it up, and I have a ton of respect for the guys here who help people they don't know,, every day....really inspiring
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

This is the layout I built from. No Fet, no HRM. Put the OD trim on back with a pot. It is marked for a more D like setting, but run it hotter.

Exceptions to the layout as well, put ceramic caps across the diode bridge, tweaked the tail resistor to get voltages better on the loop. No R/J switch. Left on Rock setting. Mid switchable from .01 to .05 (subtle difference for single coils p-ups)

Made the circuit board from formica, and eyelets from Joann Fabrics.
Used RS 6-0-6 tranny for relay supply. 12V relay.

The only relay switch is for OD. Built out of a 1978 Bassman 70.
This amp can bloom on the clean channel, and the OD is wunnerful!

You could try either of the tone stacks available and do a low plate as well. They all respond differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

dpin

Post by dpin »

[quote="guitardude57"]This is the layout I built from. No Fet, no HRM. Put the OD trim on back with a pot.
The only relay switch is for OD. quote]

That's exactly the way I would want mine,,, except maybe the addition of a bypassable effects loop.

That layout is beautiful (what program do you use?).....only problem for me is I would never work off of a layout alone.....I have to stare at the schematic for at least 2 weeks or until it burns the image into my brain.

If you have one, or a link to one it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

Look in the Dumble Files section for schemos.
There is a mass quantity of things in there. Tony has done a marvelous job on layouts and schemos, with help from some of the other guys on here. There are numerous great folks on here, that have helped us all get a grip on these amps. Cannot say enough...

Look at as many schemos as you can. The basic topology is pretty
similar in a lot of these amps. The D-lite, and the Humble, are some of many... that give you an idea of intricate and obvious circuit differences.

High plate/low plate, different tone stacks, the way the bass pot is wired, the way the PAB is wired. Some found other ways to ride the horse, and get to the same place. Tone.

I'm including a schemo of the Humble, and another or two... for you to check out.
At least the idea is there, for you to ponder and chew on.

Keep in mind, that the Dumbleator, is the tube loop typically built into a single rack space enclosure. It is easy enough to build into the head, as the parts are not too space consuming. A tube, and a couple of terminal strips will do... as also, the board can fit the parts if you design for it.

But also, look around the Dumble Files stickies.

My FX loop is switchable, but I leave it in circuit. The effect of running through the loop, even with no effects in it, smooths things up. Both my rigs use rack effects, so everything is interchangeable
with the amp. So I can run stereo, WDW, mono...whatever. The loop stays on.

I looked over a dozen or more schemos, before I built mine.
Glad I chose what I did.

The next one in process is a 4 channel switchable Dumble and Plexi. Doing the schemo, layout, and BOM for that now.

That ought to keep you busy for a spell...

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

dpin wrote: lots of smooth gain,...
My Dumble builds seem to get "lots of smooth gain" with the bright ON, FET input and PAB in effect.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Here is an editable version that you can change to whatever you want.

NOTE bias and power rail is on page 2 of the SCH file.

with respect, 10thtx
Last edited by 10thTx on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
dpin

Post by dpin »

ic-racer wrote:
dpin wrote: lots of smooth gain,...
My Dumble builds seem to get "lots of smooth gain" with the bright ON, FET input and PAB in effect.
Thanks IC, I asked for opinions and I appreciate yours...
Here's my reasoning:
- I would have bright wired in all the time, and tweak cap to taste
- FET input is not my thing,,,or at least I don't believe I need any more front end gain......or impedance correction
- Tried PAB in another build and didn't care for the effect....I'd be more likely to add gain later in the OD stages
- I'd also be very likely to run an EQ in the loop for shaping and solo boost

ALSO, thanks for ALL the schemos Mike......that's what I do,,, compare them and try to lock in on the good stuff
dpin

Post by dpin »

Thanks 10, I'll work off of that, and repost my edited version
Last edited by dpin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

You are very welcome
Mike