Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blindog

Dumble modified Princeton build..need a little help

Post by Blindog »

So after reading these two threads:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21774
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21871

I built this out of my recent '58 Zenith phonograph that I converted to a Princeton:

I basically used what I had on hand for parts, and the OPT is from a 70's Bassman 10 that I gutted and built my first Dumble out of. Mine is set up for 2 output tubes, and I kept the tube rectifier. It sounds pretty good, except that the tonestack doesn't seem to work...just barely notice some tone changes when I turn the knobs, and mostly on the treble control.

I'd like to get a second set of eyes on my tonestack wiring. I had to reverse the layout as presented due to my chassis. any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
dobbhill

Re: Dumble modified Princeton build..need a little help

Post by dobbhill »

There should be a connection between the "bottom" of the treble control to the "top" of the bass control. Just one wire missing. If you make that connection (missing on your layout, too), your tone section should start working. Also, I think that you may have your bass and mid caps reversed...
But then, I could be wrong...
D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Does this wiring of the pots look better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Yep. That'll work, I think.
D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

Thanks guys, I'll rewire this afternoon and post results.

Many thanks!

Mark
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

Got the tone stack rewired according to Mark's latest layout revision and it's now functioning :D Now the tweaking can commence. 8) I took out my trash preamp tubes for testing and put an EHX 12AX7 in V1, and a JJ 803S in the PI. I'm running some Mesa branded 6L6's I had laying around for now. I think I like this tube combo so far. I'm really digging this amp... I'll try to post a clip up soon.

Thanks again for the help!!

Mark