Robben and his Rig

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ayan

Re: Robben and his Rig

Post by ayan »

wokkel wrote:
ayan wrote: 3. Don't understand the explanation about the Vortex boost. He says that because of that pedal it's as if the amp wasn't there. WTF???
I thought he meant, as if the pedalboard wasn't there. As if he went direct from guitar to amp.
Ah... maybe I misheard. :) I'm sure the I/O buffers and having a high impedance device after the volume pedal will definitely help make the whole pedalboard more transparent.

G.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ayan wrote:4. Robben says the amp sounds the same regardless of whether the master volume is on 1 or 9. Surely someone must have clipped off the 68pF brightness cap that amp had a some point. Regardless... really? I've never heard anything capable of doing that.
The bright cap is supposed to compensate for the loss of treble as the volume is turned down... maybe it just works exceptionally well in this case?
ayan wrote:5. Interesting that they took measurements off LC's guitar and tried to copy them into RF's Epiphone. I wonder if they were referring to the location of the stop tailpiece? It looks like it's palced further back on the Epi, but maybe not as far back as LC's.
That was it- A Bigsby was removed and the unusual location (viz. other Gibsons) of the new tailpiece was copied from LC's 335.

RF is not a techie, is he. No disrespect, some people are and some are not.
blindblake

Post by blindblake »

Seems like he has ditch the dumbleator because he is using just clean tones now.

the boost is needed because the pedal board is sucking the life out of his tone - Dumble amps are very sensitive to tone suckage.

sad that he has changed his setup - he dosnt sound as good imo - must have listened to Michael landau and his tech and change his setup.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I suspect he did that to better accommodate his fly dates where the venue rents the backline amps

I saw him a couple years ago and he had the Dumble and not much else.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
blindblake

Post by blindblake »

The Dumble + Dumbleator is the system, thats how dumble deisgned it - as soon as you add time based effects and overdrive from the amp....you need the dumbleator
Max

Post by Max »

blindblake wrote:The Dumble + Dumbleator is the system, thats how dumble deisgned it - as soon as you add time based effects and overdrive from the amp....you need the dumbleator
Might depend on the personal taste of the player: AFAIR Steve Farris e. g. used his Korg delay in the loop of ODS #0075 without a Dumbleator when recording with ODS #0075. And AFAIK he was close then with Alexander Dumble and visted him often. So I doubt that he did so in contradiction to what Alexander Dumble recommended him in regard to the loop of ODS #0075.

Cheers,

Max
Max

Post by Max »

marcos wrote:There are plenty of copies of Dumble cabs out there, but so far I have heard of nobody who makes them out of mahogany ply, as HAD did.
AFAIK Alexander Dumble often used "mahogany" plywood for his eighties speaker cabinets only for the speaker baffle and the back with the oval hole. AFAIR the other four sides of the enclosure aren't plywood but "mahogany" lumber core. BTW: AFAIR "mahogany" in this case is just a "market name" for some kind of rather lightweight tropical wood easily available in the US at the time of the construction of these cabinets.

Cheers,

Max
sergio

Post by sergio »

Robben had no dumblelator! only a bridge cable in the S / R.

It's the first time I hear a Dumble, to tell the truth , I was expecting something different, however, great sound and great musician!

S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blindblake

Post by blindblake »

Max wrote:
blindblake wrote:The Dumble + Dumbleator is the system, thats how dumble deisgned it - as soon as you add time based effects and overdrive from the amp....you need the dumbleator
Might depend on the personal taste of the player: AFAIR Steve Farris e. g. used his Korg delay in the loop of ODS #0075 without a Dumbleator when recording with ODS #0075. And AFAIK he was close then with Alexander Dumble and visted him often. So I doubt that he did so in contradiction to what Alexander Dumble recommended him in regard to the loop of ODS #0075.

Cheers,

Max
Ive actually used a delay in the loop without the dumbleator - it does actually sound pretty good so I can believe Farris did that
dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

Sergio, Where you've been to see Robben Ford Live?
Micky D

Post by Micky D »

dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

Oh my god, I did a biggest mistake! :oops: :oops: :oops:
sergio

Post by sergio »

Dariez75 , in Bergamo 11/2
dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

:lol: very good! I've readed somewhere about Robben in overseas tour dates uses Twin Rock Dumble clone despite USA lives where plays the original amp. And even that Robben decided to swap in two rock amp because HAD age and health problems... Anyone who knows about this?
rob@tele

Post by rob@tele »

Last year he did a gig in Amsterdam where he used the tan Dumble and it sounded great, no signs of aging for both :D